View Single Post
Old May 5, 2007, 05:42 PM   #6
newerguy

I agree that muzzle discipline would have avoided any harm to anyone. If you point the gun away from anything that might get hurt by a bullet, an accidental discharge will just make a lot of noise. Just be careful about whether there is anyone above you or below you (I live in a 3rd floor apartment, and the floor is a bad place to point a gun when you drop the hammer or slide).

One other thing. After cleaning or reassemblying any pistol or rifle, I always function check it to make sure: 1) the firing pin is not stuck forward of the bolt face, 2) it cycles smoothly, 3) when you cycle the action the hammer stays cocked (make sure it's empty, close the action, pull the trigger, keep the trigger back, cycle the action again, and pull the trigger again, the hammer should fall when you pull the trigger), and 4) thbat the safety holds. That takes care of most things (I guess the only things left are an inertial firing pin and firing pin block).

After that, I always keep the gun pointed at the ground or something bulletproof when dropping the slide or action, in case the weapon fires when the action closes (slam fire). It's never happend to me, but I think I saw it once at the range (the guy swore that he never touched the trigger).
After than

Page generated in 0.03476 seconds with 8 queries