View Single Post
Old March 14, 2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Redworm

Quote:
Nobody is going to like my answer....

First, the 2A specifically covers the right to keep and bear arms.

There is NOTHING in the COTUS that mentions marriage, abortion, or a host of other things constantly stated as Constitutional Rights.
No one claims that the Constitution specifically mentions it.

Quote:
That being the case I see no reason that states cannot set up incentives to promote the common good by supporting heterosexual marriage and stable heterosexual families. The historical purpose of the family is to create and raise children. It is in a society's interest to support that so if a state passes legislation that encourages that behaviour. This is no different than offerring tax incentives for housing development in certain areas and such. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING RIGHT.
The idea that the common good is only promoted in heterosexual marriage is illogical. Gays make up a single digit percentage of the population so to suggest that allowing that small percentage the same benefits and protections afforded everyone else is somehow destroying your family or anyone else's is utterly ridiculous. It is in a society's best interest to support equality.

Quote:
PERSONALLY I see no reason why gays should not be allowed to marry and call it marriage. There is no reason mutliple people should not be allowed to marry and call it that. Two husbands and one wife. Two wives and one husband. Whatever. I may not be interseted in it but it is none of my business. People should be able to establish next of kin via a will in any way they please. People shoudl be able to create healthcare proxies as they see fit. Beyond that it is simply up to the market. If an insurance company wants to offer insurance for "extended family groups" that should be up to them. The state can choose to give or withold incentives for these relationships as they see fit based on the will of the people but it is NOT A CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUE.
Not a Constitutional issue?

Quote:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
By barring me from marrying a man that I love I am being deprived of liberty and equal protection of the law.

Page generated in 0.03718 seconds with 8 queries