The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 13, 2024, 04:18 PM   #1
Prof Young

Tips on learning to shoot with a laser?

So my lady has had trouble shooting well just using normal sights. This is mostly due to her eye sight issues. She has an Sig 365 chambered in 380. I have a Beretta PX4 storm with a laser on it. On a whim I let her try it out. We discovered that she does much better when she uses a laser. Sig makes a laser designed specifically for the 365 and I got her one for Mother's Day. So, the question is, how does one train to use a laser sight? Talk to me please.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 13, 2024, 05:15 PM   #2
jar

Make sure your cat is not in the room.
Old May 13, 2024, 07:49 PM   #3
Nathan

What do you mean better?

I’m just wondering what we are trying to accomplish here….
Old May 13, 2024, 08:14 PM   #4
The Verminator

He said much better.

That's logical as a laser is a much simpler and better aiming system.

Keep in mind that with muzzle flash the first shot may be the only one that you can actually see the laser in low light.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:41 AM   #5
DaleA

Quote:
What do you mean better?
I’m just wondering what we are trying to accomplish here….
Good question. Do you want her to be faster on the draw and picking up the laser light? Faster on turning on the laser? More accurate? If so at what distances?

One thing suggested to me that makes sense is take a laser or 'the' laser off the firearm and go outside with it and see how quickly you can pick up the laser dot off a variety of surfaces in a variety of situations, like full sun, shade, night time, out in the open, in a parking garage etc. etc.

I've a friend that is currently sold on the green laser and we both like it on the range (old eyes for both of us) but on a sunny day on a walking path in the park if your worried about being accosted it's probably more efficient to just point and shoot your attacker. Of course this, like almost everything, 'depends on the situation' (DOTS).
Old May 14, 2024, 12:35 PM   #6
Prof Young

Good question . . .

Right. What do I mean by "better?"

Well, for now at least, it means hitting the center mass of the target at 7-10 yards.

The question about how easy it will or won't be to see the laser in the day light out side is a good one.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 14, 2024, 12:44 PM   #7
georgehwbush

trigger control "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." just a thought;

might work to have her practice with snapcaps to see how badly she jerks the trigger ?
Old May 14, 2024, 12:58 PM   #8
reteach

When I got my laser, I read and applied this from Crimson Trace.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/complet...in-your-laser/

Dry fire practice helps a lot. When I dry fire, I start with this routine:

Pick the spot I'm using at my aim point.
Keep my finger off the laser switch and aim carefully with the iron sights.
Then press the laser switch to check that the laser is still sighted in.

Once that is determined, I use the laser and actually dry fire. The laser shows me whether I'm staying on target or pulling my shots.

At the range, I do a little of the above, then fire a normal course, bringing the weapon up and looking at the front sight as usual but also using the laser as a guide. Then I add some practice with using the laser only, not looking at the iron sights at all, letting the laser be my sole aiming device.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:59 PM   #9
Ricklin

Still laughing about the cat....
Old May 14, 2024, 05:47 PM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
Right. What do I mean by "better?"

Well, for now at least, it means hitting the center mass of the target at 7-10 yards.

The question about how easy it will or won't be to see the laser in the day light out side is a good one.

Life is good.
Prof Young
This is where I have struggled training some women too. That said, I think it is a mistake IME to move from sighted shooting to laser so quick. This is because I think there are 3 main barriers to early competency in male and female shooters. Athletic males often make this harder to diagnose.

1) Absolute safe handling with confidence and speed. That is, the ability to draw, aim and fire without error in safe handling. That is gun never crosses other hand and finger goes to trigger after 2 hand engagement and muzzle generally on target.

2) Speed of picking up sights. That is speed with gun on target and sights about aligned, finishing alignment and pulling trigger. You really need to get to the point where just pointing the gun gets alignment close and front sight can be placed where needed……but without pause.

3) flinch and recoil control….in other words shooting fast.

I’m of the belief that number 2 can be enhanced accuracy wise with an rds or laser. I’m not sure it can be faster on a man sized target under 10 yds. A person just needs to really work out every detail of the pointing process, so the sights are just a check. So, I guess I worry you will slow her down with the gizmo.

If she is slow firing, work on speed. If she is slow moving, work on safe, fast handling. If she is aiming too long, work through speed of aiming to shoot without precise sighting. Most folks point good enough. My guess is you are actually looking at a flinch.

That said, the laser can be a training device, but don’t let it break down her fundamentals.
Old May 14, 2024, 06:43 PM   #11
Prof Young

Thanks Nathan!

Nathan:
Thanks. You help me understand that, while I'm a patient teacher, I have a lot to learn about teaching someone to shoot safely and well.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 14, 2024, 09:43 PM   #12
Nathan

Well, you helped me think through a teaching issue I’m having. I’m no expert, but I’ll be back at it next week trying to be a better teacher.