The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 13, 2024, 12:13 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Last man on earth to buy a 10/22

That's me. Also the last one to discover Unique. Guess I'm a little slow. But to make up for my sloth, I bought two. The cheap, grey plastic, just a rail is at the FFL now. I have a 2-7X Vortex and rings for that one. The other is on order, the "Sporter" model 1102. American walnut and irons, advertised as a gold bead front sight. Looks nice in the ads. I know many of these rifles end up like the 100 year old ax, with a new stock, barrel, receiver, and trigger group. Not going there, but I have two questions. Trigger: I will try the stock one first. I've fired a number of these guns, and don't find the stock trigger as bad as some say. But there are some good looking upgrades out there. What do you recommend? Sights: Have the modest scope for the grey, but I'm thinking of an aperture for the sporter. Leaning toward Skinner, as I have a good experience with them, but open to suggestions.

You will ask, what will I do with them. Mostly fun target shooting. I have a CZ 452 and a Savage 23A for semi-serious work. And maybe wack a squirrel or two (my native PA now allows 22 autoloaders for hunting).
Old May 13, 2024, 01:34 PM   #2
Adventurer 2

I own a couple 10/22s -- all have an extended magazine release and the bolt release plate either replaced or modified. I ordered a new bolt release and then used a dremel tool to modify two other bolt releases. Instead of having to fiddle with pushing the lever to let the bolt go forward, i can pull back on the charging handle and release.
I think i bought my parts from Tandemkross:
https://www.tandemkross.com/fireswitchmagazinerelease
https://www.tandemkross.com/autoboltreleaseplate
The mag release is different from mine -- mine isn't dual direction but you get the idea.
Old May 13, 2024, 02:07 PM   #3
DaleA

Years ago I bought the 'Target' 10/22 and was disappointed with its accuracy. I'd like to find out what you think of yours especially compared to your CZ.

I like Adventurer 2's advice about upgrades and especially about Tandemkross. I've used them and think they're good people and they have lots of upgrades for Ruger and other popular guns.

Quote:
Instead of having to fiddle with pushing the lever to let the bolt go forward, i can pull back on the charging handle and release
This really irritated me when I got my 10/22 and I was all set to either take a dremel (as Adventurer 2 suggested) or get the Tandemkross plate but while I was dithering which one to do I kind of got use to the stock 10/22 so I never got around to making the modification. I still think it would be a good idea though.

And not to rain on your parade, but for others out there they might want to check out the Bergara semi-auto .22LR BXR. It's a very 10/22 like rifle. I think it takes 10/22 rotary magazines and I've heard good things about it but have not shot it yet. It comes in a traditional steel barrel or a light weight carbon barrel but it is about $600. Here's a link to the steel version---the one I'd prefer---but that's just me.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles...Njg5My4wLjAuMA..
Old May 13, 2024, 02:08 PM   #4
Electrod47

I have owned at least a dozen beginning in 1972....the first one was used made in 1967 for 50 bucks. Serial # is in the first 100K produced. Somehow I have manged to hold unto it still. With the Volquarten Trigger and extended mag release. Topped with a compact red dot and co witnessed with a barrel band mounted green lazer. At 77 years old now and it makes my perfect after dark gun here in the country for the various problems that wander in to destroy the harmony of our quiet life.
Old May 13, 2024, 03:33 PM   #5
jmr40

They will shoot better with this trigger

https://shopruger.com/Ruger-BX-Trigg...uctinfo/90462/

Ruger should make it the standard trigger and it shouldn't cost any more than what they put in them. But this way Ruger can get another $100 out of you. But it is worth it. You could have a gunsmith work on the stock trigger, but the cost is about the same.

I really like the looks of walnut stocked Sporter. And they just don't cost that much more than the standard carbine. Good choice. This is the one I'd upgrade the trigger on.

For a knock around rilfe the plastic stocked one is a good choice.

This is my favorite.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sport...ets/31167.html

They have a target barrel and chamber, but with a midweight barrel profile. These are just heavy enough to shoot well, but not too heavy to carry around. The 20" midweight barrel balances very well. I did put a BX trigger in mine and it's good for 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards. Other than getting it zeroed I never shoot closer than 100 yards with it and occasionally 200-250 yards.

These are a little harder to find, I have this one too. It comes with the Hogue stock, a sling and it has the BX trigger from the factory. Other than that it is the same. Cost is about the same as the LVT above proving they don't have to charge more for the BX trigger.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbi...ets/31173.html

Winston Churchill
Old May 13, 2024, 03:42 PM   #6
georgehwbush

(Last man on earth to buy a 10/22)

only so long as i remain fixed on not owning one.

but yes the peep sight looks like a very good choice.
Old May 13, 2024, 09:08 PM   #7
armoredman

You aren't the last - I don't own a single 22 rifle or pistol.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:39 AM   #8
ligonierbill

Got a couple spare mags (10 rounds). Ordered Ruger's upgraded trigger and a Skinner aperture. I'll be interested to see how the peep does with the standard front sight. The last Skinner I had was on a Miroku version of the Winchester '94, and I had to try a couple before I got one tall enough. Worked great, though, and the Skinner apertures are very well made.
Old May 15, 2024, 01:07 PM   #9
Pumpkin

Hey, I know I was at least 55 before I bought my base model 10/22.
All I did was add a Williams receiver sight, it’s awesome!
I did have to install a taller front sight, do yourself a favor and get a sight pusher, mine was a tight little bugger.
Old May 17, 2024, 05:53 PM   #10
Polinese

I don't have one and have no intention of ever getting one.
Old May 17, 2024, 08:43 PM   #11
Hawg

I had one. Least accurate .22 I owned. I didn't say it wasn't accurate. It just wasn't as accurate as my Marlin model 60's or my Savage 87B or a handful of others. Plus the mag was a PITA to load. After it sat in a closet for 10 years without being fired I gave it away.
Old May 18, 2024, 12:34 AM   #12
radom

Here I also have a savage 23A and a 10/22 is a huge let down out of the hail of fire misses. 50 years ago they had a use as new where like $49 but most any old bolt .22s will out shoot a scoped 10/22 with peep sights.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #13
R_P_K_

I've almost bought one on several occasions but I always stayed with Marlin. Any time I've shot a 10/22 I've been disappointed in the accuracy. My marlin 795's and model 60's always were accurate right out of the box. I don't expect Marlin to revive the 795s or model 60 because they would be out shooting their flagship 10/22 out of the box
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #14
Rifletom

Soooo, what's OP going to do with Unique?
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #15
Sevens

Quote:
You aren't the last - I don't own a single 22 rifle or pistol.
I bet that is a very small group of gun owners and shooters right there.
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #16
ligonierbill

Well, I finally got to the range with the grey plastic 10/22. Still waiting on the more traditional "Sporter", so I installed the BX trigger on that one and ordered another. I am really pleased with the little Ruger. My bolt guns will outshoot it if I haven't had too much coffee, but not by much. Certainly "minute of squirrel head". How does it compare with classic autoloaders from other makers? Not going there. I'd be buying more rifles, and I'm done with that (really, I mean it, no more rifles).
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
How does it compare with classic autoloaders from other makers?
An elderly Marlin model 60, Savage 87B and a High Standard Sport King will outdo it
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #18
ligonierbill

Hawg, please, you're going to have me off buying all those to find out.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
Hawg, please, you're going to have me off buying all those to find out.
The Savage 87's are sometimes problematic. Mine won't run with anything except CCI Mini Mags. They are kinds cool tho. The bolt won't go forward until you release the trigger and you can lock the bolt and use it as a bolt action. The High Standard I had was a good rifle but somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My oldest Marlin model 60 was made sometime in the 70's and it will jam once in awhile. I have one made in the 90's and it's good to go and I have a Remlin model 60 made in 2013 that's stainless steel with a laminated stock. It's the only one I have with a scope and it's never missed a beat.
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #20
Pumpkin

I have an old Savage 87, great gun, slowest cycling semiauto 22 I have ever shot. I don’t see that it’s any more accurate than my 10/22, my most accurate 22 is a Marlin 39A.