The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2024, 06:45 PM   #26
stagpanther

Just visited a LGS and they had some 1# cannisters of RL 23 left--at $70.00 each. I shouldn't have--but I sprang for 2 of them since it's such a good powder. The salespeople there had no clue that it was being suspended.
Old May 18, 2024, 07:40 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Are the Swedes and Switzers short on nitrocellulose, too?
Old May 18, 2024, 08:35 PM   #28
44caliberkid

I talked to a powder manufacturer who was an exhibitor at the NRA convention in Dallas yesterday. He confirmed nitrocellulose is hard to get. Also said the price of it has gone up 350% in the last few months. So when he can get it, he pays a big price for it.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:36 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. I did the same. Hodgdon's rep told me that, normally, civilian-to-military powder demand is about 80:20, but that right now, it is reversed. For example, all 4350 production is going to the military for 6.5 CM belt-fed machine gun ammunition and for some sniper rounds. He confirmed what I read, that a lot of the nitrocellulose used in Europe was coming from China, and China quit shipping to them about four months ago. It's a big scramble to get new production on line, but to build a factory from scratch can take a couple of years. The Europeans are trying to speed that up by streamlining the EU permitting system.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 21, 2024, 02:38 PM   #30
tangolima

I have read similar reports. That's the globalization poison that we have drunk, for cheaper products.

Having said that, once the supply chains are adjusted, their grips will lose effects forever. But we as consumers need to be ready for higher prices. I'm ready. In fact I have started paying higher prices for things, just to avoid products from questionable sources.

I have gone through several shortages since I started handloading. In restrospect they are good things. It forced me to get outside my comfort zone. Conservation and improvision probably exercised, it ain't that bad. Shoot less but make each round count more.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 21, 2024, 03:02 PM   #31
Marco Califo

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.
The current situation will have me utilizing all my surplus bulk powders until gone. WC844, WC872 (I have run 33% 844 and 67% 872 in 308 and 223). I have plenty, and varied supplies of top quality powders for specific uses like copper bullets and hunting loads. It makes no sense to chase purple unicorns with pink polka dots, when they do not presently exist. I can go a couple of years before running out of bulk powders.
Old May 21, 2024, 03:29 PM   #32
Jim Watson

Quote:
4350 production is going to the military for 6.5 CM belt-fed machine gun ammunition
We are using 6.5 Creedmoor machine guns?
Why add another caliber when the 6.8 super duper is the Next Big Thing?
Old May 23, 2024, 12:52 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Timing, I think. Hornady introduced the round in 2007, so it preceded the approval of the 6.8, and they were looking for something with better range and impact energy than the 5.56 rounds in machine guns. Plus, they wanted a sniper round with roughly equal range and lighter carrying weight than the 7.62 sniper ammo. You can Google several articles on it. Here's one.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 23, 2024, 11:56 PM   #34
5whiskey

Great... I just bought a bunch of powder, and now this thread is convincing me that I need to buy more.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946