The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 18, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1
MEDDAC19

Savage question?

I am thinking about refinishing this rifle, but have not been able to find out if it has any collector value. The serial number is low B000444, model 842, Series E it is in cal. 30-30;the name on it is Westpoint made in Westfield Mass. It does also say Savage Arms. I have had no luck finding anything out about this weapon. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old April 18, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
HunterTRW

According to one of my references, Westpoint was a trade name for firearms manufactured for Cotter & Company by Savage.

The following information is from the Savage Sports Corporation's Website: (www.savagearms.com)

"Q. Where do I find information on older model Savage products?

A. Savage Arms is no longer able to access historical information on older Savage, Stevens, or Fox firearms. This information may be available through John Callahan who is an independent arms historian and is not an employee of Savage Arms. Mr. Callahan does not provide parts, gun smith services or offer a locator service for firearms or parts. Please send a detailed letter with:

-Your name and address
-A phone number where you can be contacted if necessary
-The model and/or serial number if available
-Any other pertinent information

Mr. Callahan will respond with a letter detailing his services. Send the
letter to:

John Callahan
53 Quarry Road
Westfield, MA 01085

Q. Are there any reference sources for Savage historical information?

A. Yes, there is a book by Jay Kimmel titled, Savage & Stevens Arms, Collector's History. For more information on where to purchase this book, contact, CoryStevens Publishing, Inc., 15350 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR, 97230, by phone at 503-328-9339, or on the web at www.corystevens.com"

As for restoration or refinishing, my advice is to do nothing until you have accurately ascertained the gun's value. Collectable firearms are graded on their degrees of original bluing, color case hardening, stock finish, etc., and well-intentioned attempts to "improve" them usually result in their value being diminished.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old April 18, 2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's the bolt-action .30-30, right?

Value is going to be as a shooter, not a collector, so I don't see refinishing being a problem.
Old April 18, 2005, 09:48 PM   #4
MEDDAC19

Yes, Mike it is the bolt action. It will be used as a shooter, just thought with the low serial number it could have some extra value. HunterTRW thanks for the info, will start refinishing during the next week.
Old April 18, 2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Steven Mace

Sounds like a contract version of the Savage Model 340?

Steve Mace
Old April 19, 2005, 12:15 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bingo, the 340. I could not for the life of me remember the Savage model number.

Generally, they're good, solid guns. Nothing spectacular, but in .30-30 you do have the advantage of being able to load with spitzer bullets, which will give you better down-range balllistics.
Old August 26, 2005, 02:43 AM   #7
kcoop9999

Savage Info

If you're still interested in savage info-- try these folks_ WWW.savageshooters.com
They'r coolectors, shooters and smiths who specialize in savages!