The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2017, 02:17 AM   #1
jski

Lyman Carbide 3-Die Set v. RCBS Carbide 3-Die Set

Is there a reason to prefer one of these die sets over the other?

Lyman Carbide 3-Die Set v. RCBS Carbide 3-Die Set
Old June 18, 2017, 06:17 AM   #2
daboone

I have 30/06 dies made by Lyman, RCBS and Lee. Can't tell any difference in performance. The Lyman lock rings don't fit in my Bonanza CO-AX but then I really don't like the lock ring of the other 2 in that press either.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I have many sets made by both. No difference in quality that I can tell after around fifty years of loading.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Oliver Sudden

I use both plus Redding, Pacific, and Lee. The Lee costs the least and is as good as any so if I needed some thing I don't have now I'd buy the Lee carbide dies.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:30 AM   #5
disseminator

If I knew I'd be getting a good die set I'd go RCBS over Lyman, but since the RCBS has gone Chinese the quality is really hit an miss. I have some RCBS Carbide dies that are really nice, and I have one set in particular in 45 Colt that are complete crap and they rust really bad but still make good ammo other than that.

The Lyman dies are nice. I bought them in 45 Colt to replace the rusting RCBS and they have been great. I also load 454 Casull and 460 Magnum with them so they are good for that as well, as are the RCBS FYI.

I prefer Redding and Forster for rifle and Dillon dies are good too for the 550B.

Good Luck!
Old June 19, 2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

Quote:
If I knew I'd be getting a good die set I'd go RCBS over Lyman, but since the RCBS has gone Chinese the quality is really hit an miss.
I didn't know RCBS was importing their dies from China. Are they having all their equipment made in China now? I've been an RCBS fan for many years but if they are selling Chinese made equipment, I believe I'll go with an American made brand from now on.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:16 PM   #7
disseminator

Quote:
I didn't know RCBS was importing their dies from China. Are they having all their equipment made in China now? I've been an RCBS fan for many years but if they are selling Chinese made equipment, I believe I'll go with an American made brand from now on.
The best answer is: nobody knows. Do a search. Many people have emailed them asking about the origin of there products and they tend to give vague answers like:"most of our products are made right here in our factory."

Ignoring that for pro-gun people like us California is pretty much an oppressive foreign country, it seems strange that they wouldn't be more forthright with where their products are made.

So I'll walk back my statement and say that wherever they are made, the quality ain't what it used to be. I have several sets of their dies but I doubt I'll ever buy another one.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:43 PM   #8
Bottom Gun

I see, so you really don’t know for sure.

It should be easy enough to determine since their products will be marked with the country of manufacture. Has anyone bought any RCBS products recently?

Old June 19, 2017, 09:45 PM   #9
disseminator

That's my point. Nobody knows for sure. The die set DO NOT have the origin on them.

In any case, the quality issues I have experienced aren't unique to me.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Bottom Gun

By law, either the product or the packaging must indicate the country of manufacture.

Old June 20, 2017, 01:46 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

There IS one reason to choose one over the other, and its not quality, or even the design features.

Commonality of parts.

The little things, setscrews, decapping pins, lock rings, seating and decapping stems etc. Things the die makers will fix or replace once you contact them, but can stop your reloading session until that happens.

Having some spare parts on hand, even if cannibalized from other dies of the same make might mean the difference between being able to finish that batch of shells tonight, or having to wait a few days.

If most of your other dies are Lyman get Lyman. If RCBS get RCBS. If you're only loading one caliber, flip a coin.
Old June 20, 2017, 10:01 PM   #12
disseminator

Quote:
By law, either the product or the packaging must indicate the country of manufacture.
I wish that were so......
Old June 22, 2017, 12:10 PM   #13
hdwhit

Quote:
jski wrote:
Is there a reason to prefer one of these die sets over the other?
When I started loading 9mm, I bought the Lee 3 die set. The sizer was fine, but I found the expander difficult to adjust; I would either get no expansion or just a fraction of a turn of the adjuster would leave the case mouth looking like a Pilgrim's Blunderbuss. I got frustrated and retired the dies to the family farm where the only die that gets used is the seater.

I replaced the Lee dies with a set from RCBS and have had zero problems with them.
Old June 22, 2017, 02:11 PM   #14
Reloader270

Lyman makes good die sets, but my only problem with them is that the decapping rod is too thin and bend easily. Decapping pins also break very easily if the decapping rod is not well alligned before starting re-sizing process. RCBS is superior in my opinion.
Old June 22, 2017, 02:37 PM   #15
IMtheNRA

Lyman warranty is only one year. RCBS has a lifetime warranty on their dies. That made it an easy decision for me.
Old June 22, 2017, 08:24 PM   #16
billcarey

I don't know about rcbs but lyman has the multi expander die (which I like) and my sets came with two different bullet seats. I've loaded 1000s in 30+ yrs and never broke a lyman decapping pin...except when I accidently rotated the turrent with the ram up. Mfgs change ring styles so you need to find out what ring is current. My lyman and hornady dies changed ring styles over the years so any reference to rings may not be accurate. Warranty may be a good buying point with lee products but probably will never be used on 99% of the other mfgs.
Old June 22, 2017, 09:25 PM   #17
Stats Shooter

As far as where RCBS dies/presses are made. I have seen emails posted on other forums from RCBS directly stating that only their electronic items are made in China. But presses and dies are made/ground in Orville Cali.

As for what die to get, I have the RCBS carbide sets in various calibers/cartridges. They work as advertised and haven't a speck of dust on them.

I follow the same line as others, if you typically use Lyman dies, get Lyman, if you use RCBS, get RCBS. Having a stockpile of interchangeable spare parts is much better than having to suspend production for a week or two.