The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 14, 2009, 08:50 PM   #1
MAX100

Detailed look @ The NEW Savage 10FCP AccuStock **Pics**

Savage is now shipping the new LE 10FCP with AccuStock. Here is a detailed look at it and the earlier 10FCP with HS Precision stock. A side by side look at both rifles in 308Win.

Law Enforcement Series
Model 10FCP-K – with AccuTrigger™, AccuStock™, and Detachable Box Magazine

* Note: AccuStock™ included on 2009 or newer models only.
Action
Short
Caliber
223 Rem, 308 Win
Will also be offered in 300WM & 25-06Rem
Left Hand 223 & 308
Overall Length
46.5"
Barrel Length
24"
Weight
8.9 lbs
Magazine Capacity
4 rounds
Stock
Black synthetic AccuStock ™ with aluminum spine and three-dimensional bedding cradle
Sights
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist
223 Rem (1 in 9")
308 Win (1 in 10")

Features
AccuTrigger™, AccuStock™, matte blued barrel action, Savage muzzle brake, fluted heavy free-floating button-rifled barrel, detachable box magazine swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle with beavertail forend - Barrel length with muzzle brake 26.5"
Suggested Retail $866.00 - Real Price $699

Picture of the New 10FCP AccuStck beside the earlier 10FCP 24" bbl With HS Precision stock.

A close up picture of the AccuStock bedding block. The stock is very rigid and doesn't flex with a bipod installed. It completely free floats the barrel with no contact.

A picture of the Accu Wedge and screw.

The Accu wedge sitting in place on the barrel nut against the recoil lug. When tighten down with the screw it holds & locks the recoil lug in place like a vice which is far superior to glass bedding. It holds the action down in the stock even without the use of the action screws.

More on Page 2

GC
Old April 14, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
MAX100

PAGE 2

Picture of the steel bottom metal of the 10FCP AccuStock model. As you can see the the bolt release is now located in front of the trigger guard. The other receiver screw is located under the bolt release in front of the trigger guard.

Picture of the trigger guard of the 10FCP AS on top and the 10FCP HS on the bottom. It shows that the AS guard is a little larger and wider.

The box mag bottom metal. The AS model on the top and the HS on the bottom. They are the same size but little different and trigger guards above are not interchangeable.

The pictures shows the difference in the recoil lugs and the barrel nuts. The recoil lug of the AS model on top and HS model on bottom. The AS recoil lug is shorter, square, non tapered and not as wide. This is the reason why the barrel action from the older HS model will not fit in the AccuStock. The AccuStock will only fit the barrel action with Accu style recoil lug. The barrel nut on the AS model is smooth with no slots. This means the Savage barrel nut wrenches won't work on the new barrel nut.

The picture shows that the inletting for the trigger guard is wider on the AccuStock. The AS barreled action will fit the Savage HS stock with some minor widening of the trigger guard cut out.

More on Page 3

GC
Old April 14, 2009, 08:53 PM   #3
MAX100

PAGE 3

This picture shows the difference in the bolt release assemblies on both barrel actions. The AS model on top and the older HS model on bottom.

Picture of the nice muzzle brake on the New 10FCP. The barrel is threaded and the brake is secured by a crush washer.

The recoil pad is new out by Savage they call it the P.A.D. stands for: Personal AntiRecoil Device. It is very soft & mushy. It's the softest recoil on the market. It makes me wonder how durable it will be over time. It suppose to reduce recoil by 45% over OEM solid & vented pads. I believe it is very possible.

A finial look of the two rifles side by side

The new Savage 10FCP offers a lot for the money. The AccuStock is a standard style stock but the best factory stock available and will allow the best accuracy of any factory stock on the market in my opinion. I would like to see a tactical style stock built around the Accu bedding Block. We all know how costly it is to have a barrel threaded for a muzzle brake and what barrel barrel fluting cost. This rifle will surely be very popular and a big seller. It shows that Savage is still one step ahead of the competition in Value, design and innovation.

GC
Old April 14, 2009, 09:06 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It really got my attention!
Me likey new rifle gobs, wads, loads!
Brent
Old April 15, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Are there any factory claims of "out of the box" accuracy of this "Chief"?
Brent
Old April 15, 2009, 10:27 AM   #6
MAX100

I think Shooting Times did a test on the rifle and was getting some sub moa groups with it. I believe it's a given that it will shoot well because even the 10FP with the Tupperware pillar bedded stocks shoot well out of the box.

GC
Old April 15, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Man I want one! I am gonna have to wait to trip over a bag of dough dropped by Loomis out side the bank though! That bugger warrants a right fine scope. What a deer rifle that would be!
Brent
Old April 15, 2009, 08:46 PM   #8
ndking1126

Great pictures, thanks for the post.

I am fairly interested in the new stocks also. I would much prefer a thumbhole or some kind of vertical grip (like a McM A2), however. If these are as accurate as one might expect, I could save the money and just deal with standard shape of the stock.

And I've actually started saving for my next rifle! Woohoo! I have no idea how long it will be, though.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:13 PM   #9
pizzapaiute

That looks like a fantastic deal. What does the new one weight? With the break might watching the bullet strike through the scope be possible in .308?
Old April 15, 2009, 10:09 PM   #10
MAX100

Quote:
That looks like a fantastic deal. What does the new one weight? With the break might watching the bullet strike through the scope be possible in .308?
It weights close to 9 lbs without scope. I have been told the brake works very well. It is one heck of a deal.

GC
Old April 15, 2009, 10:22 PM   #11
sholling

Oh god no, now I have another rifle to save for. Not that I could get any ammo for it. But god I want one.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Shorthair

Great post.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:52 AM   #13
goodspeed(TPF)

Great write up. Good on ya.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:46 PM   #14
LateNightFlight

I GOT ONE! But, a week from today I'll be handing it over to my son as a birthday present. (He deserves it, but damn I'd like to have this for myself! ) Depending on whether or not he wants me to set up and scope it, I may or may not have a future range report - not with this particular gun anyway... unless I'm lucky.

I've never been so excited about giving a gift, but I particularly wanted to thank Max100 for the original post. After my first few calls around, it didn't look like I was going to be able to locate one, at least not in time for a birthday, but then I caught a break and had it shipped, ASAP.

Again, thank you Max100!
Old May 7, 2009, 03:29 PM   #15
SPUSCG

Im wondering, i heard muzzle breaks make th egun way louder. Is this true? I just dont see having a range gun that sounds like a howitzer. In november I can buy one for 515 though, so im tempted
Old May 7, 2009, 06:52 PM   #16
LateNightFlight

Quote:
Im wondering, i heard muzzle breaks make th egun way louder. Is this true? I just dont see having a range gun that sounds like a howitzer.
With no more than a day's experience with a muzzle brake, I can say with certainty that it is true. "Sounds like a howitzer," is an accurate description of the muzzle brake on my AR. In fact, my particular AR muzzle brake is called the JP Howitzer, and it must be because of the way it sounds.

But my understanding is they're not all the same. While they're all generally louder, it is more modest with some models. I don't know as of yet, but I would guess the factory designs such as this Savage, or the Rems are fairly tame by comparison.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:21 PM   #17
ndking1126

Quote:
Im wondering, i heard muzzle breaks make th egun way louder.
Technically, they are not louder. What happens is the sound and muzzle blast is directed sideways as opposed to downrange. So, people standing beside and behind the rifle do hear more noise.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:18 PM   #18
MAX100

Quote:
I've never been so excited about giving a gift, but I particularly wanted to thank Max100 for the original post. After my first few calls around, it didn't look like I was going to be able to locate one, at least not in time for a birthday, but then I caught a break and had it shipped, ASAP.

Again, thank you Max100!
Glad to do it. I learn a lot myself.

You should have contacted me. I have several in stock.

Quote:
I've heard muzzle breaks make the gun way louder.
It depends on how the brake is designed.

GC
Old May 7, 2009, 09:22 PM   #19
overkill556x45

Dang it, Savage! I was trying NOT to buy another rifle this summer! (I own the 10FCP with the HS Precision stock--need a lighter .308 for all-day packing)
Old May 7, 2009, 10:11 PM   #20
MAX100

Quote:
need a lighter .308 for all-day packing
It's not lighter rifle. It weights in about 9 lbs without the scope setup. The barrel is longer 26.5" with brake.

The SAVAGE 10 Precision Carbine maybe the one for you. It has a 20' medium contour 20" barrel. It's not fluted and no muzzle brake.

GC
Old May 7, 2009, 10:19 PM   #21
overkill556x45

Yes, but I'm praying that the model 10 "scout" will come with an accustock. I need a scout rifle. Jeff Cooper tells me so (been reading "The Art of the Rifle" and loved it)
Old May 8, 2009, 09:19 AM   #22
SPUSCG

They do make an accustock scout rifle, saw one on the used racks, checked it out, and put it back since i dont really like scout rifles. It was the only used savage with accustock though, so i got to feel the stock and it was solid.