The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 16, 2004, 12:09 PM   #1
chaim

Marylanders- who's up for a shoot and get together?

I think it is past time for a TFL/THR MD shoot. The past few THR shoots (before TFL came back) have gone pretty well but it has been a while and I don't want to lose our "momentum".

I'm pretty open on dates, so long as it is a Sunday (I can't do anything on Sat, but if everyone else would rather do Sat that is fine, I can miss a shoot or two now and again I guess). I haven't thought that much about specific dates. Since we are in mid-June now I'm thinking min-July gives enough time to get it together and not so much that people won't know if they will be free. For me the only caveat is that sometime in early July, and I don't know which weekend, I will be in Ohio to visit an uncle who is dying of cancer.

I'm thinking about Sunday, July 18th (the day after my birthday) as a good time for the shoot, but if people would prefer another day post it and we'll see if that is better for more people. As usual, I'm thinking about 2 or 3 pm so that those of you who are church-goers can go to church with the family and still have time for lunch with the family, yet it is early enough for a couple hours range time.

It might be too hot, but my first choice is the Hap Baker range in Westminister. In addition to being a rifle range, I'm sure the pistol range should be completed at Hap Baker by then (if it isn't already). On Target (indoors) is my second choice (and first if we're getting 95-100 degree temps and matching humidity, which isn't unheard of in mid-July).

Post here if you can make it, have a preference for one range or the other, or want to propose an alternative date (I did say that I hadn't thought too much about it, so I won't be too upset if you don't like the date I suggested ).
Old June 20, 2004, 01:22 PM   #2
chaim

Based on the feedback over at THR the date may get changed to the 11th instead of the 18th (more people seem to not be able to make the 18th than can, so far anyway). I'll keep it updated here once a decision has been made. It also looks like the shoot is definately going to be at Hap Baker in Westminister (dress light, it is outdoors and we all know what July in MD can be like) and someone who has been there recently said the pistol range is almost ready so it just might be up by then (cool, this may be both a pistol and a rifle shoot).
Old June 24, 2004, 09:35 PM   #3
Spot77

Yup, I'd say it's final - July 11th, Hap Baker Range in Westminster, 2pm.

There's about 10 positive responses so far.

And all of our Southern PA and Northern VA brothers are invited too of course. As the date approaches, Chaim or I can post directions and I'll pm my cell phone number to anybody that's coming to the range for the first time in case you get lost.....
Old July 8, 2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Spot77

Yikes, I guess TFL'ers in Maryland don't exist yet....it's been almost two weeks since the last post here, and that was MY post!

Anyway, consider this post just a bump
Old July 10, 2004, 11:33 PM   #5
chaim

OK, the shoot is tomorrow. If you are interested don't be scared off by the lack of interest on TFL. Last I looked there were 2 pages of posts on the thread at THR. There should at least be a small group, and if it is like prior shoots we've organized at THR there could be a pretty big group of shooters. Check out the THR thread for the address and directions.

edit:

Opps, I thought I had cross posted the THR thread over here but now I don't see it. I can't get THR up on this computer but I'll try to remember to get online on my other computer before going to bed so I can either post the link or post the address and directions to the range here.
Old July 11, 2004, 04:31 AM   #6
chaim

ok, as promised here is the link:THR MD Shoot thread

And the directions from that thread (thanks LeadPumper on THR):

**Hap Baker Range
Carroll County Landfill
Route 140
Westminster MD 21157
Phone: 410-386-2103
Shooting opportunities for small and large caliber rifle and pistols.
Open to the Public. Daily or season passes are required Days and times vary.

Coming from Baltimore beltway:
Take rte 795 all the way to the end, it then turns into rte 140 north. Go a few miles until you see the sign for the county landfill on the right (I believe it's shortly after passing the Reece Vol fire Dept on your left).

Turn right into the county landfill and follow the signs all the way to the back.