The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2005, 10:07 PM   #26
Long Path

I've taken about 3 front-on shots in my life. Strangely, they just don't seem to present themselves to me that often. Or more likely, I wait until the deer turn away before raising up and shooting. I have to admit that there's a certain security in knowing that our rifle round has the oomph to power through whatever it may encounter in the front-on shot. Only one actually pierced behind the stomach, and quick cleanup with the water I always carry (can you believe that some folks go afield without water?) dealt with that. A pierced paunch is basically not a problem at all-- it's just masticated herbs and acorns.

I think I feel a new thread on shotplacement coming on. Stay tuned.
Old December 1, 2005, 07:10 PM   #27
marmark

Springmom Don't let some people fool ya into thinking that your undergunned.

I used my .243 for years with one shot kills on all broadside deer. My wife and sister has been using it for the last couple of years for one shot kills on large mule deer/whitetails. Last year, same gun, 2 deer. 3x4 mule deer, 178 yds one shot drt bullet penetrated the shoulder spine and off shoulder. Recovered bullet weighed 51 grains(100grn gameking). My wife on the same day; one shot 40 yds double lung no bones hit, deer left a blood trail for about 150 yds. Difference; one hit bone and penetrated on an unaware mule deer, the other only hit lungs on a very nervous whitetail. Same results ONE SHOT KILLS. This year they teamed up again with my little 243 both one shot kills (again) My sister at about 150 yds, 3pt mule deer and my wife at 327 yds on a whitetail. The mule deer went about 75 yds on a rear quartering shot penetrating completely through both lungs same with the whitetail, it went about 30 yds on a broadside shot. Try to stay with the 100 grain gamekings, they have worked for me every single time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emailPA160082.JPG (191.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg emailIMG_0002.JPG (129.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg email IMG_0007.JPG (77.7 KB, 23 views)
Old December 1, 2005, 07:18 PM   #28
FirstFreedom

marmark, what load with the 100 gr sierra gamekings? And what part of the country yall in? Nice bucks there!
Old December 1, 2005, 08:21 PM   #29
springmom

nice deer!!!!

Thanks, Marmark. I really love that rifle. It is sooooooo sweet to shoot.

In the first pic you posted, the lady on the left has a deer that looks like the TWIN of the one I shot!!! Same size rack and head, best I can tell. (Please tell me she didn't take it in the National Forest south of Huntsville... )

I appreciate all the help and the encouragement, guys. There are days that I feel a WEE bit odd going over to the range and being the ONLY woman over there. OTOH, today I was over shooting my .40 and lo and behold, TWO gals came up and were waiting for the all clear to start THEIR shooting. I am not alooooooonnnnnnneeeee!!!! LOL

Springmom who is GONNA GET THAT DEER YET!!!!!!

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 1, 2005, 08:51 PM   #30
marmark

1. 45.8 grains of IMR 4831 with 2.75 OAL CCI Br2 primer Rem Nickel Brass leaves my barrel at about 3275 fps
2. Nope I live in NE WA State both bucks were shot in our yard this year.