The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 11, 2005, 03:48 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Howa 1500 / Vanguard trigger adjustment

I just adusted the trigger on a 1500 and eliminated the creep. Now I have a very nice breaking glass rod, albeit rather heavy (4 lbs or so I'd guess). Problem is, when the trigger is adjusted this far, the safety no longer works - it won't go into the on safe position. If I put it back to where there's some icky creep, then it works again. Oh well, I'll just have to be careful. Irritating however.
Old December 11, 2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Howa trigger

Dear Shooter:
I can tell you how to fix that safety!
This is a "trigger block" safety - the safety pushes a round pin in, in front of the trigger and when you give it less sear engagement it hits on the front of the trigger. Take the trigger our with your present settings and stone off the front until the safety can push in the round block! (I assume your settings are safe)
It helps to alo radius (very slightly) the front edge of the safety pin - this is a long process but rewarding when done.
Hope this helps! Harry B.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; December 11, 2005 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 12, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Bosshoff

Hmmm, I was told that there really was not too much you could do with the Howa/Vanguard trigger, and I should look into getting a Timkey installed. This post kind of changes that. Let us know how it turns out.
Old December 12, 2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Howa Trigger

Dear Shooter:
The way that Howa trigger works is it is factory set for sear engagement, based upon a dimension from the front of the trigger to the round pin of the safety; this gives a long, mushy pull I agree.
If you set your sear engagement where you want it (and safe) then just remove the trigger and you will be able to see where the safety pin hits on the front of the trigger! This keeps the trigger from going forward and firing the gun. Now, just stone that area down on the trigger where the round plunger blocks the forwad movement of the trigger SLOWLY, until the safety plunger will just go in and give NO movement to the trigger (of which the top part is the sear) and test several times! You might slightly radius the plunger where it travels in to ease it.
This is just the way I do the factory Howa trigger but I take no responsibility for the work unless I do it. Not that you cannot do it.
As you know, "the safety on your rifle is located between your ears and is adjusted by strking your temple area with a blunt object!"
Never trust a hammer/sear block safety! Mauser was the best because it withdrew the cocking peice from the trigger mechanism. If you are willing to be careful and test the weapon by closing the bolt smartly, banging the butt of the stock with the safety OFF, you'll be O.K.

Harry B.