The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 20, 2006, 09:31 AM   #1
jestridg

Glock 18

Are these available on the market or are they just not available in the US?
Old March 20, 2006, 10:26 AM   #2
C3nt3erMass

glock 18

The glock 18 is available in the US, but only to LE or Millitary. full auto... im not sure if ya can get one with a class 3..
Old March 20, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
shaggy

If you are a licensed dealer & SOT you can buy a G18 if you have a letter from a law enforcement agency requesting a demonstration of such. However, since it would be a post-1986 sample, when or if the FFL/SOT ever gave up or lost their license the gun would have to be sold off (to another FFL/SOT with a demonstration request letter or to a law enforcement agency) or destroyed.

I don't think there are any transferable G18's on the registry, although there may be a conversion of a G17 or two. If you could find a transferable G18 or G17 conversion, however, you'd probably need at least $40,000 for it. There's a few transferable Beretta 93Rs and Taurus 93R conversions but they are also very rare - the last transferable one I saw for sale was about $25,000.
Old March 20, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Asmodeous

I just don't get the fascination with the G18.

My local SOT got a demo for a local deptartment; I'm a big fan of pointless bullet hoses, but the G18 was an uncontrollable pointless bullet hose
Old March 20, 2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
but the G18 was an uncontrollable pointless bullet hose
A converted Glock 17...essentially a Glock 18. Uncontrollable?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/45666/...ing_auto_glock
Old March 20, 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
gunslinger555

hmmm when i fired one it was very controlible if you fired it in bursts and not just all one mag dump it was kinda like when you go to the car wash and the presure gun pushes your hand back and up just on a larger scale it was very cool and wish i could get one
Old March 20, 2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Asmodeous

The cops that were shooting it managed to shoot down the target carriers at the indoor range three times while I watched. I'm sure you can learn to control it with practice. But then I don't have any problems shooting a friends M14 in FA, while I've seen many folks shoot the sky with it.
Old March 20, 2006, 09:56 PM   #8
Chaingunner

Asmodeuos said
"But then I don't have any problems shooting a friends M14 in FA, while I've seen many folks shoot the sky with it."

HA That was (almost) me the first time I shot my 14 in FA. Every time we have a gun shoot onboard, I look forward to shooting FA 14s. We usually don't get to, but it's always a blast...

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old March 21, 2006, 11:55 AM   #9
Gun Rabbi

While a few Glock 18s exist as post samples (Only SOTs can obtain them with a demo letter) Glock does not want to send out Glock 18s to SOTs even with demo letters. Perhaps they have a few favorites they deal with perhaps they only deal with LE. I have heard it both ways.

IMO the more common method, and the more desirable (It is what we have done) is to get a demo letter for a conversion device. More or less a small switch on the back of the gun that gives you semi or full. The ATF considers this switch a machine gun. You can put it on any glock it will fit on, and for the most part that means any glock that is not a .45 or 10mm. With a Glock 18 or a gun that has been converted and registered, that is the only one that may be full auto.

It would be my understanding that NO Glock 18s glocks of any kind exist on the transferable NFA. I hear that there is indeed a few mythical ones out there. And yes, the ATF does make mistakes. However it doesnt make much sense for it to be legal. The 1968 GCA would 100% prevent the import of a full auto Glock from being imported to be registered for the transferable NFA. The 1986 GOPA would have cut off the possibility of any regular glocks being domesticaly converted and qualifying for the transferable NFA. So if anything exists, it is a conversion that was done within the VERY short time frame that Glocks first came to the US and the 1986 GOPA.

If such a conversion exists, it would command a serious price. tens of thousands for sure.
Old April 11, 2006, 06:36 PM   #10
MDW Guns

I am lucky:
Happily married with two kids and my part time business is a FFL/SOT.
So my wife does not even say anything when I get something outside the normal guns.
Today then prayers got answered:

Now even for FFL/SOT it is not easy to get a G18.
Beside the "love letter" you have to find one for sale and there are not even too many "Post Dealer Samples" out there.
The conversion option is not a good one. A friend with a manufacturing FFL changed on and after 1,500 rounds the gun started to fail.
So it is not an option, plus you have to be a manufacturer.
Check www.mdwguns.com for great deals!
Old April 11, 2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Half-Price Assassin

wow I love love the GLOCK 18, i would trade all my firearms for just one GLOCK 18. thanks for those pictures, a brand new GLOCK 18, what alittle miracle.

i have heard that if you put a NY Trigger in the GLOCK 18, that helps control, it allows you to shoot less rounds at a time in full auto mode, so instead of doing like 4 or 5 round brusts, the new york trigger spring, will push up the trigger bar and stop the pistol from firing, i have never tired this, or fired one, but it kind of makes sense.
Old April 11, 2006, 07:18 PM   #12
Bender711

well, I htikn that the closest that you can get to a real g18c is an airsoft version. You dont get all the recoil but it's still better than nothing right?
Old April 12, 2006, 09:48 AM   #13
MDW Guns

Well, I was shooting it yesterday a little and it is not as bad in the first place, if you use soft loaded ammo. The gun still works fine with it, but it is quite controlable.
Old April 21, 2006, 12:01 PM   #14
MDW Guns

Here the video: http://www.mdwguns.com/042006009.mpg
The brass is flying nicely!
Old April 21, 2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Chaingunner

I hate glocks, but that was cool

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old April 21, 2006, 11:41 PM   #16
gunslinger555

MDW Guns, you make me so jealous
Old April 23, 2006, 06:40 AM   #17
MDW Guns

you make me so jealous

Sorry for that. I wish the 1986 law would fall and Class III would be affordable!
But if you come to Maine, you can stop by and test shoot this gun.
Old April 23, 2006, 04:08 PM   #18
gunslinger555

if only i had the time and gas money.thanx for the offer tho