The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 23, 2007, 03:40 AM   #1
IdahoG36

Interesting happening with a Sig today!

I was at a large retail chain that sells firearms(won't mention the name) and I was looking at some Sigs. I asked the clerk behind the counter if I could look at a certified pre-owned Sig 229 9mm. He picked up the gun from the display case, racked the slide to check it, and a live 9mm fmj came flying out and landed on the counter! We were both pretty suprised, and had he not have checked the gun first, I always check the chamber on any gun that is handed to me, even if I just watched somebody do it.
Somebody goofed up at Sig. That is the first time I have ever had a gun in a store eject a live round. Just goes to show you, treat a gun as if it is ALWAYS LOADED.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:55 AM   #2
johnle

This is why I like chamber flags...
Old December 23, 2007, 04:19 AM   #3
sholling

Thanks for posting this warning. That's why I always recheck the chamber even if the salesman just checked it in front of me.
Old December 23, 2007, 06:45 AM   #4
wiking

And THAT is why i'm paranoid about checking, rechecking, double-rechecking and then checking again 30 seconds later, just to be sure.

someone, somewhere, deserves a right bollocking.
Old December 23, 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
kahrglock

Sounds like some jackass that looked at it earlier put the round in. I've heard of that happening at a couple of gunshows over the years.
Old December 23, 2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Officer's Match

Old December 23, 2007, 09:02 AM   #7
kristop64089

One of my local shops will terminate it's employees IF: they hand a customer a gun without first locking the slide back and checking chamber condition.
Gun, must be handed to customer, Chamber locked open.
Old December 23, 2007, 09:46 AM   #8
yomama

That's fricking nuts!

I wonder if it was someone looking at the gun previously, put one in. That's why salesperson checks when given back....or is supposed to.
Old December 23, 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Playboypenguin

Awhile back a local gunshop ended up having three differet pistols on the shelves with rounds in them.

All three pistols were from different sources and two were brand new. The rounds were all of the same make.

One of the salespeople feels that someone put them there deliberately.
Old December 23, 2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Manedwolf

Quote:
I was at a large retail chain that sells firearms(won't mention the name) and I was looking at some Sigs.
Quote:
Somebody goofed up at Sig.
I would be far more likely to suppose that some dork at the store did that on recieving it, or after hours. Large retail chains hire min-wage sorts, remember? High school kids, etc.

I would not think SIG would ever do that, and I wouldn't be so matter-of-fact accusatory there; that could be construed as grounds for a libel suit by SIGarms.
Old December 23, 2007, 10:36 AM   #11
kirkcdl

There are rumors that some zealous antis will do that so they have a good "See!! Guns are dangerous!!" news article to refer to...
Old December 23, 2007, 10:54 AM   #12
prairieviper

Somebody certainly goofed up but I'm doubting it was SIG. This is an example of why it's important to be consistant and always follow proper safety procedures.
Old December 23, 2007, 11:08 AM   #13
ZeSpectre

This thread is a fantastic reminder that there are certain responsibilities that CAN NOT be handed off to anyone else.

I've long since lost track of the number of "odd" looks I get for re-checking a firearm that someone just checked right in front of me but once I take physical possession of that firearm it is MY responsibility and MINE ALONE to make sure everything is safe and I never forget that.

I couldn't even tell you how many times someone has handed me a firearm that they "just checked" which was unsafe. Just a few examples...

-Remington 870 with a round still in the tube magazine.
-SAA Revolver with a live round in a chamber.
-Lever gun with a "stubborn" round still stuck in the tube magazine.
-Locked open semi-auto pistol...with a loaded magazine installed.
-SKS rifle with a live round chambered that didn't extract for some reason.

We also had a guy running around a couple of years back who though it was funny to go to a store, look at some guns, drop a live round in one of them and then leave. Fortunately he got caught by an alert store employee and was arrested but you can just imagine the results of that malicious act if the store employee hadn't been detail oriented and double checked after he got the firearm back.
Old December 23, 2007, 11:13 AM   #14
Chui

This is why I'm a godda#mned STICKLER for firearm safety at the range I work at. Everyone there is not nearly up to speed and it bothers me to be muzzled with "unloaded, safe" firearms. The customers are freaking wholly ignorant and many take a disdain to be informed and, yes, sometimes scolded for pointing a pistol/revolver and even a rifle/shotgun at someone in the store.

Unbelievable.

I'll bring this thread to their attention.
Old December 23, 2007, 11:20 AM   #15
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
Somebody goofed up at Sig.
I would disagree as many others in this thread already have. If you saw the guy open a sealed shipping container, then the events you describe transpired, OK more likely this happened during function testing. BUT you say the guy took it out of the display case. This is either: a) shop employee doing something stupid - like demonstrating loading of the gun with live rounds or b) a customer or potential customer slipping the round in (for whatever reason) when the employee wasn't watching. Either way, I'd say it's the shop's responsibility. Even if, by some stretch, the gun made it from the shipping container to the display in that condition (and I have heard of it happening, though it's rare), the employees still should have cleared and visually inspected the chamber before placing it on display.
Old December 23, 2007, 11:48 AM   #16
Creature

Does Sig even function check all new/cpo handguns with live ammo before shipping? I would bet money that safety regulations dictate that live ammo is not allowed on the factory floor.
Old December 23, 2007, 12:27 PM   #17
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
Does Sig even function check all new/cpo handguns with live ammo before shipping? I would bet money that safety regulations dictate that live ammo is not allowed on the factory floor.
Oh, I'm sure live ammo wouldn't even be allowed in the building. But they probably do have a dedicated indoor range on the property somewhere. It would be prudent to run at least a round or two through each gun to make sure it actually fires. Their reputation is at stake here. With the internet these days, if even a half dozen pistols made it out of the factory nonfunctional, the whole world would know about it just as surely as if a UFO had landed on the White House lawn.
Old December 23, 2007, 12:44 PM   #18
FirstFreedom

I just don't understand why we're not naming the retail store, and PP is not naming the company.

Isn't this very valuable information to help warn and protect us?
Old December 23, 2007, 12:59 PM   #19
Wulfmann

Any gun, every gun is always loaded even when its not loaded!!!

If you treat a gun, at anytime, like it is unloaded one day you will do so when it is loaded.

Don't mess with Murphy when he is having a bad day. The gun is always loaded.

Wulfmann
Old December 23, 2007, 02:22 PM   #20
NetJnkie

Quote:
Yes they do. All guns these days come with at least one fired round in the box. Some places are required to keep those.
Old December 23, 2007, 02:31 PM   #21
Creature

Quote:
Yes they do. All guns these days come with at least one fired round in the box. Some places are required to keep those.
I just bought a brand new Sig still sealed in the box. I cracked the seal myself before I paid for it. No bullet.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:14 PM   #22
IdahoG36

Quote:
I would be far more likely to suppose that some dork at the store did that on recieving it, or after hours. Large retail chains hire min-wage sorts, remember? High school kids, etc.

I would not think SIG would ever do that, and I wouldn't be so matter-of-fact accusatory there; that could be construed as grounds for a libel suit by SIGarms.

It very well could have been an employee or a customer. I figured that somebody test firing the guns at Sig before they left accidentally left a round in the chamber. I just didn't figure anybody would try to chamber a round in a handgun in the store, but there are some dummies out there.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:33 PM   #23
vox rationis

thanks for the post..again this reinforces the "religion", if you will, of gun safety that we must all "religiously" ascribe to and follow, with absolutely no exceptions, because it only takes one time to be complacent and make a mistake that you will regret for the rest of your life..and it probably was an employee mistake, or even a sick evil doer set on creating mayhem.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:35 PM   #24
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
I just didn't figure anybody would try to chamber a round in a handgun in the store, but there are some dummies out there.
Human intelligence is often equalled or exceeded by human stupidity. I wouldn't put it beyond somebody bringing a live round from home to see if it would "fit."
Old December 23, 2007, 03:52 PM   #25
Dos

PHP Code:
Yes they do. All guns these days come with at least one fired round in the boxSome places are required to keep those.  

I just bought a brand new Sig still sealed in the boxI cracked the seal myself before I paid for itNo bullet
Only certain states require the firearm with the fired case. Massachusetts is the only state I can think of right now where it is a MUST HAVE FIRED CASE WITH THE FIREARM law. There may be other states, but I can't recall at the moment.