The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 7, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1
bjohnson1

Tactical/Target Mausers

There's got to be someone else out there with one, let's see pictures, hear stories, advice, what you guys prefer, anything about them. I have a 1909 Argentine in a nice walnut stock with a Douglas XX #6 in .300 Win Mag (one holler), I am building a new one with a Commercial Action, Douglas #8 SS Barrel, Vias Brake, Tubb's speed lock setup, B&C Varmint/Target Alloy Bed Stock, Timney Trigger, Hinged Floor plate, Tactical Bolt knob, SS 20x scope. Hopefully Friday I will make it up to my gunsmith's house and start working on it with him. Until then, I want to see all of yours...

(I'll try to get some pictures of mine soon)

Last edited by bjohnson1; April 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I can't type very well tonight...
Old April 9, 2008, 04:46 AM   #2
Scribe

I've got three Mauser K98s. Two in 7.62/.308, one in 7.92. The 7.62mm are both Belgian with Israeli stamps. One is virtually stock though I am having Mojo aperture sights fitted. The other has gone the full XS utility scout route with a Ramline stock (Showing cracks after 800+ rounds), Burris 2.75 long eye relief scope, etc, etc. The 7.92mm is Yugoslavian stamped with Prodeuz 44. I am also in the process of fitting a cheap Nikko Pistol scope (Got it cheap from a mate who was clearing out his garage.) I am using the S&K mount system after bad experiences a few years back with B Square.
I'm thinking of replacing the Scouts stock with a Hogue.
Pictures when I can sort out my camera.
Old April 9, 2008, 06:29 AM   #3
surg_res

I don't think I've ever seen Mauser and tactical in the same sentence. Kind of an oxymoron to me. Either way, sounds like you've found or built some beautiful weapons.
Old April 9, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4
thekyrifleman

One more....a 1908 Argentine in 7X57...rebarreled with a Douglas premium barrel, Brown glass bedded synthetic stock, Timney trigger at slightly less than 3#, topped off with a Leuopold 2X8 VarXIII. A full case of IMR 4350 with 140 grain Sierras...will shoot into 3/4" all day long. Great deer rifle.
Old April 9, 2008, 10:07 AM   #5
UniversalFrost

Dude you really need to go to www.mausercentral.com and drool over the pics they have of the users rifles and join the forums as well.

Otherwise, the sky is the limit for a custom mauser. I have several and I am currently working on a VZ-24 (romy contract rifle) that is being made into a light weight "mountain gun" in .308 .

Also, I would not waste the money on the Tubbs speed lock set up. I had one installed on one of my mausers and it didn't do a darn worth of improvement.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 9, 2008, 08:24 PM   #6
bjohnson1

I already bought the Tubb's setup. Anybody ever tried out one of those 20 round magazines? I ordered one of those, looks fun... I need to start saving money for college and stop building / buying guns...
Old April 10, 2008, 01:03 AM   #7
Scorch

I don't know if this counts as tactical, but I have two Mauser varmint rifles, and am building a 3rd. One is in a myrtlewood stock, one in a fiberglass stock, and the one I am building is going in a walnut stock. I have one more stock, fancy maple, and am planning on building a 6mm Rem varmint rifle on a Mauser action. Let me figure out how to post pics and I will share.
Old April 10, 2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Is .300 Whisper "tactical"?
Old April 10, 2008, 05:14 AM   #9
Wildalaska

I used to have an FN 30-11 (that I sold cheap 20 years agao what a jerk off move on my part)...shot nice for a funked out Mauser Euro-Trash rifle.

WildnowiownetheplasticversionAlaska TM
Old April 10, 2008, 08:20 AM   #10
ISC

I used to have a Savage tactical rifle. it was a nice shooter. My FR-8s are the closest thing to a "tactical Mauser" I can think of. I also have a VZ 24 which has been drilled and tapped, with a medium contour .308 barrel, mote carlo stock, and a decent Tasco scope. The previous owner painted it with a garish "urban camo paint job" (grey white and black) I think I'm going to eventually paint the stock with black bed truck liner and paint the rest of the rifle flat black.
Old April 10, 2008, 08:49 AM   #11
bjohnson1

yes the 300 whisper is tactical, are you going with a 1-8 twist? My gunsmith is building one of those for a customer, right now he is looking for a cheap Mini Mauser action to build it on...
Old April 10, 2008, 09:06 AM   #12
UniversalFrost

Quote:
he is looking for a cheap Mini Mauser action to build it on
well he should go with a yugo 24/47 or 24/48 (mid length large ring). I did up a nice 7mm-08 on a 24/47 action and A&B F14 contour barrel (chopped to 20") and a boyd's stock. Really light weight and shoots great.

Also, 300 whisper is a nice round, but I sold a pre 64 m70 years ago that was rebarreled and chambered in it and am kicking my self ever since. Great gun and great caliber.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 3, 2008, 11:36 AM   #13
Doc1

My "tacticals"

Hi. I'm new here and find this to be a great board! I like Mausers and own four of them, an FR-8 Spanish Mauser in 7.62x51, an FR-7 Spaniard in 7.62x51and two 24/47 Yugos in 7.92x57.

My favorite, hands down, is the FR-8. It's not as finely finished as the others, but is handy, short length, points well and is reliable. Also, it feeds various bullet profiles - including cast - much better than my Yugos. The absolute best thing about it though is its CETME-style peep sights. My older eyes are no longer up to the standard Mauser tangent sights and not only is the FR-8 peep sight easy to use, I really like the "paddle wheel" style of elevation adjustment with its different apertures. Some folks don't care for the FR-8 peeps, but I think they're great for any conceivable hunting or field use. Is the FR-8 "tactical"? LOL... Well, prolly about as close as any Mauser's likely to get.

I put a set of Mojos ( front and rear) on one of my 24/47s and find it to be a well-made piece of kit. Again, they're a big help to my aging eyes. If any of you guys are going to aperture sights specifically because of vision issues. I strongly recommend that you buy BOTH the front and rear Mojos. Initially- trying to pinch pennies - I only bought the rear and while it was an improvement, it wasn't enough. Adding their aperture front sight made all the difference.

I just acquired an old Redfield SA3 peep sight for my other 24/47 and it's waiting for a 6-48 tap to arrive so I can install it. Unlike the Mojo, it will require drilling and tapping the rear receiver ring. I tested the Redfield's resolving powers at my work bench and with its smaller aperture and shorter eye relief, it appears that it will work fine with the Mauser's stock front sight.

Best regards
Doc
Old May 3, 2008, 12:28 PM   #14
El Paso Joe

Tactical??? I have a Santa Barbara in the process of becoming a 35Whelen - but I am not sure what tactical means in this context...
Old May 3, 2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Jimro

I fitted a Parker Hale cadet barrel to a Gew98 action, added a Bold trigger and put it in a laminate stock. Two piece weaver mounts (I put an IOR SSG on it)

Shoots five shots into 1.75 inches at 200 meters.

Traded it to my brother (I kept the scope) for a sported 24/47 cause I already have a Savage tactical that takes care of my precision 308 needs and he needed a bolt rifle to complement his FAL.

Jimro
Old May 4, 2008, 03:24 AM   #16
Bogie

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

I have a Mauser in a Cruiser-style benchrest stock, full-profile barrel, and the whole mess weighs around 20 pounds without a scope. It's chambered for a short .22PPC...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old May 5, 2008, 12:16 PM   #17
Pthfndr

Why not just buy a Swede CG63 for $850, slap good glass on it, and go out and kick butt

Old May 27, 2008, 10:10 PM   #18
bjohnson1

that gun is nice, also an update on my project, it is almost rough fitted, and should be getting test fired tomorrow. It should be completely finished in about 3 weeks

-Brian
Old June 13, 2008, 11:20 PM   #19
bjohnson1

Update 6/13/08

Ok, the gun is taking longer than expected, oh well i guess it is worth waiting for

here are the updated pictures/info

98 Mauser action
Chambered in .300 win mag
Douglas XX Air Gauged Stainless 28 3/4" Barrel (1" at the muzzle)
Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint Aluminum Bedded Stock
Vais Muzzle Break
Tubbs Speedlock Kit
Timney Trigger @ 2lbs
BDL Style bottom metal
Commercial Bolt shroud
EGW 25 MOA Mount
Callahan Aluminum Bolt Knob
Talley Bolt Handle
Super Sniper 20x scope

The barrel is 30 3/8" long with the break

the overall length is 50 3/4"

I really can't wait to get this done, meantime, i am loading ammo to start getting a load worked up. I'm gonna be shooting the 210 bergers to start out with. I might go down to the 190's if I am not happy with the 210's, but the BC is amazing. And, they have some BT's coming out that are supposed to be .647 BC, i really want to get a hold of some of those and see what it'll do.

The only work left to do is to bed the stock, free float the barrel, polish all parts/blue receiver and bottom metal, fit the bolt parts together, and paint/finish fit the stock.

I will keep everyone updated.

-Brian
Old June 13, 2008, 11:27 PM   #20
Jimro

Those 210 VLD's are really something. I know a guy who shoots them out to 1600 yards.

Jimro
Old June 13, 2008, 11:30 PM   #21
bjohnson1

that is the plan here, maybe not that far regularly, but i just want to see how far I can get respectable groups at.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:38 PM   #22
bjohnson1

I must have forgotten to post the finished picture of my gun in here. Here it is.

BTW, if any of you are going this route, and want some bottom metal that is set up to use the AI 300 magazines. I am trying to get 10 people together, I have threads both on TFL, as well as Sniper's Hide, so if you know anyone who may be interested, let them know. Here is the link

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...&Number=775104