The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 4, 2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Browning T-Bolt .22lr...

Ok I went to Cabela's today to purchase my father-in-law a CZ 452 .22lr. They did not have it in stock! OUCH! So rather than leave empty handed and without a .22lr for my father-in-law I instead bought him a Browning T-Bolt .22lr...

So can someone please let me know if these are good accurate .22lrs? Do they shoot as well as the CZ 452s?

Thanks,
Old October 4, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Fremmer

I don't know. All I know is that the T-Bolt is a really cool concept for a rifle; it is something different, and I'm sure he'll really like it. After all, there are millions of bolt rifles around, but not many T-Bolts. His friends and family will be impressed!
Old October 4, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Scorch

You should be happy with it. Every TBolt I have ever seen was a good shooter. The new ones are a little different from the old ones, but they are very nice nonetheless.
Old October 4, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4
skeeter1

You and/or your father-in-law should be very pleased with the Browning T-bolt. That and the CZ452FS are on my very short list of things I'd like to get before I die, T-bolt in .22LR and 452FS in .22Mag. Yes, I have quite a few firearms, but those two just tickle my fancy. Even an old boy like me still has a little dreamin' to do!
Old October 5, 2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Freakdaddy

First off, I hope I eventually have a son-in-law that buys me guns. That's a very nice gesture you did. He must be a pretty cool guy!

I've never shot a CZ but I do have one of the newer T-Bolt's I purchased last year. It seems to be a very accurate little gun. At 25 yards, I can put 10 rounds that can be easily covered with a dime. At 50, it keeps it in the 1/2" to 3/4" vicinity. For me, this is very acceptable given the design of the tapered barrel and its light weight. I am a little disappointed in the trigger though. It doesn't adjust down as light as I would like but then again, it's not designed to be a bench rifle. I only have a couple of hundred rounds through mine and I have noticed an improvement so hopefully it will smooth out a little more.

I haven't checked lately but at the time, it was difficult to find bases for the T-bolt. The one's Browning offers is a matte finish but I didn't want that as the gun has that great Browning deep blued finish. I know Warne offers bases and rings but I believe they are matte as well. Warne does list the same base for the T-Bolt and BAR though. The Weaver #15's will work as well. I ended up using the Leupold bases for the Remington 541 and the holes line up perfectly.

I've always wanted a really nice .22 since I was a kid. When I saw this one, I couldn't pass it up with the highly figured wood it had. I put a Leupold Ultralight EFR VX-II on it with Leupold QD rings and bases. These base were a little more expensive but the seemed to fit it better as they didn't hang over the barrel at the front of the receiver as much. Here's some pics of mine with the scope setup.

This one just really shows off the wood. I definitely got lucky on this one. Right place at the right time!
Old October 5, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Tommy Vercetti

are t bolts the basic mechanism for biathlon rifles?
Old October 5, 2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Dearhunter61

Freakdaddy

Yes he is a really cool guy. Love him like a father. Treats me like I am his son. Your 22 is a very good lucking rifle. Stock has a little more character that the one I bought.

Great info on the bases. I am going to go look for them today.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:07 PM   #8
bunny shooter

Thanks

Freakdaddy,

I saw your info on the Weaver bases for the T Bolt. My brother just bought a T bolt and couldn't get right bases.

Thanks to your post he was able to get them from Cabelas.

So thanks very much from a very happy hunter in Ireland
Old October 8, 2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Freakdaddy

Glad I could help someone out across the Atlantic and welcome to the forum bunny shooter! I think your brother will be very pleased with the T-Bolt as it's a great little gun plus Browning is really starting to offer many configurations of it. Now you just have to get one of your own . Enjoy!
Old October 8, 2010, 07:21 PM   #10
LanceOregon

The gun to get is the newer CZ 453 Varmint model. It both has a super accurate heavy barrel, but it also has a fantastic set trigger, much superior to the trigger on the 452. Certainly much better than the trigger on the Browning.

Plus, it is also a handsome gun too.

Old October 8, 2010, 11:39 PM   #11
tulsamal

As you can see from the pictures, some of these have really nice wood.

My favorite thing about them is that when Browning did the re-design, they spec'd the receiver to be just a little bit longer. Works fine with .22 LR. But will also work with 17 HMR or 22 WMRF. I would really like to get one in 17 HMR and with wood as nice as Freakdaddy's.

Gregg
Old October 9, 2010, 02:22 PM   #12
bunny shooter

Thanks for the welcome Freakdaddy And just to let you know my brother has put the mounts on his rifle and they are perfect. He's very happy now Having a look around this forum now. I'm impressed. I'm a member of a few forums here in Ireland too. My brother and I are big into rabbit shooting. The T Bolt is a lovely light rifle for it. It's actually the end of our rabbit shooting season here now but I reckon he'll get plenty of range time in for the next one.

LanceOregan, I had a CZ Varmint,the American version, myself up to recently in .22lr. A brilliant rifle. Now I have my brothers Sako Finnfire Hunter in .22lr as he bought the T Bolt. So everyones happy
Old October 9, 2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Norrick

T-bolt is a great gun. Runs circles around my 77/22 all weather (and I have the new threaded version). Some parts are plastic, kind of a put down, but it still shoots great. I have no experience with a CZ 452 but I would say I prefer it over a savage MK II FV.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...e/DSCF0774.jpg

Old October 9, 2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Norrick

T-Bolt Accuracy

@ 50

@ 100