The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Elite Doberman

HS Precision Gets Endorsement by Lon Horiuchi

http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2008/...nt-by-lon.html

This should be enough to make every freedom loving American vomit. HS Precision, manufacturer of stocks and other parts for precsion rifles, is featuring an endorsement of their products by Lon Horiuchi on the back of their catalog. Here's a scan (click on the thumbnail for a full size image):

For readers unfamiliar with Horiuchi, he is the FBI sniper who shot Vicki Weaver during the the standoff at Ruby Ridge 1992. He was also present at the 1993 Waco siege where he was again suspected of misconduct. He charged with manslaughter for Weaver's death but the charge was eventually dismissed in a Federal court, the basis for which was the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution. (Note that this ruling doesn't go to the merits of the case.) In gun owner circles, he is regarded as a murderer.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Hemicuda

Link,s busted...

"Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog Blog O'Stuff does not exist."

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old November 26, 2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Dave Markowitz

LINK.
Old November 26, 2008, 02:13 PM   #4
maestro pistolero

Verified this and responded thus:

Date: November 26, 2008 11:06:44 AM PST
To: [email protected]

Gentlemen,
Using Horiuchi's name in print was a very bad call. May I suggest immediate contrition as in a formal apology to the firearms community and a significant publicly announced donation to the 2A rights organization of your choice. In the absence of immediate action here, you will be forever a pariah in the community. Best of luck on correcting this grave error in judgment on the part of your marketing staff, or whomever is responsible.

Christopher J. Hoffman
Old November 26, 2008, 03:01 PM   #5
divemedic

Here is a picture of the endorsement

If you just have to kill defenseless babies, this is the rifle you should buy. I can hit an infant in the soft spot from 300 meters. Entirely by accident, of course.

signed,

Lon
Old November 26, 2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Musketeer

Wow, bad marketing move. Given the level of items they make they should know that the part of their market base not supporting this guy actively hate him. That alone should have precluded them from using him from a business standpoint alone.

HINT: Do not run a marketing campaign featuring a spokesman who makes a larger percentage of your customer base vomit.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old November 26, 2008, 05:46 PM   #7
thallub

Quote:
HINT: Do not run a marketing campaign featuring a spokesman who makes a larger percentage of your customer base vomit.

+1
Old November 26, 2008, 06:18 PM   #8
B. Lahey

Cooper

Quote:
It is a long time now since Lon Horiuchi shot Vicky Weaver in the face while she was holding her child in her arms, but that is something most people would like to forget. Horiuchi still walks free with that on his conscience. The law cannot reach him, but there are many who do not forget.
Quote:
In keeping track of special agent Lon Horiuchi, we note that the television people are understandably reluctant to show his face. After killing Vicki Weaver with one round to the face up at Ruby Ridge, he was put in charge of a sniper team which went on down to Waco. Just what a sniper team might be good for in that action is not clear, but Horiuchi has maintained that his team never fired a shot at that time. Recently released television coverage of that action shows four empty cartridge cases on the ground at the sniper post occupied by Horiuchi and his team. Apparently, someone else came in after the battle and dropped the four empties at the spot where Horiuchi was located. If he says no shots were fired, I guess no shots were fired. After all, Agent Horiuchi is a West Point graduate, and we can trust him implicitly.
I couldn't find Cooper's original mention of Horiuchi, the one with the "remember this name" line, anyone got it handy?
Old November 26, 2008, 06:55 PM   #9
nate45

Lon Horiuchi was known to have boasted that he could hit a quarter a 200 meters.

I don't believe his version of events, that he fired into an open door way and hit Vicky Weaver in the head by accident.

I believe he deliberately took aim at her head knowing full well what he was doing. Many of us here are ex-military and expert marksmen. How many of us would fire a scoped high power rifle at nothing? Into an open door way of a house that contained women and children.

Even though there is no way to prove my belief that he deliberately took aim before he fired and even if his story is true. At the minimum he should have been fired from the FBI and convicted of negligent homicide.

Quote:
If you just have to kill defenseless babies, this is the rifle you should buy. I can hit an infant in the soft spot from 300 meters. Entirely by accident, of course.
+

HS Precision must have a real genius in the marketing department.
Old November 26, 2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Musketeer

Quote:
Even though there is no way to prove my belief that he deliberately took aim before he fired and even if his story is true. At the minimum he should have been fired from the FBI and convicted of negligent homicide.
Thank you. Who else is allowed to fire rounds indiscriminately into a home full of children with no target visible?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old November 26, 2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Powder_Burn

The quote requested above is:

Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
Vol. 1, No. 11
10 December 1993

"The Federal agent who shot Vicki Weaver in the face, deliberately, while she was unarmed and holding her child is named Lon Horiuchi. Remember that name. He is still walking around loose. That man must eventually pay for his crime, here or hereafter. Lon Horiuchi."

HS Precision needs to issue a statement and clarify whether this is an oversight or a welcomed association.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Wow, bad marketing move.
Under statement of the year.........

I find it hard to believe that any company would hire this guy as a spokeman.

With the shape the economy is in, this would be a terrible time to lose your job, especially after you opted to hire a questionable marksman.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:46 PM   #13
VonFireball

I have to comment.

This is the most disgusting and disturbing news I have heard in some time.

I'll never have a good word to say about this company again, ever, until they correct this grave mistake. I'll never buy anything they make, and yes, I will be stock shopping in the near future. Count HS precision out. I'll go with B&C, Stockade, or McMillan, who have the brains enough to forgo soiling their reputation with societal derelicts such as Lon Horiuchi.

Mr. Horiuchi's actions on that day weren't only illegal, but morally reprehensible. Truly disgusting in their nature, he has no excuses. Neither does HS precision.

I hope his evil deeds come back on him 100 times over. Even that wouldn't be sufficient atonement for his evil doings.

Why the man is even allowed to touch a firearm today is beyond me.

I can't continue speaking on this right now. I'll wind up getting the boot.

Lon Horiuchi=:barf::barf::barf:

HS Precision=:barf::barf::barf:
Old November 26, 2008, 11:21 PM   #14
EastSideRich

not much to say that hasn't already been said

except:
Quote:
until they correct this grave mistake
Not really possible in my opinion.
"I guess we shouldn't have used that endorsement from that guy who murdered that lady while she was holding her infant" doesn't really cut it for me.
Kinda like U-Haul using an endorsement from Timothy McVeigh.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:08 AM   #15
Nnobby45

Horiuchi also shot Randy Weaver when he and Kevin Harris went down to the shed where the body of his son Sammy lay after being killed the night before by U.S. Marshalls. Weaver's rifle was at sling arms. Weaver, shot in the shoulder, and Harris fled to the house where Vicki Weaver was shot in the face. The bullet also hit Kevin Harris in the shoulder after going thru Vicki Weaver.

When this subject came up on the Sig Forum a couple years ago, the site was flooded with Fed. LEO's (it was obvious), who were vociferous in their protection of the action of the Feds. and just as much so in the condemnation of Weaver.

Moderators on the forum let things get out of hand. Not suggesting that will happen here.

And let us not forget that it was Larry Potts, FBI desk jockey, who suspended the rules of engagement that gave Horiuchi permission (or a mandate?) to shoot the Weavers on sight.
Old November 27, 2008, 01:48 AM   #16
Wagonman

I understand the animus and in a lot of ways share the outrage. However, Weaver and Koresh are to blame for causing events to spiral out of control. As much as I believe that SA Horiuchi is guilty of murder DK and RW should be in the dock right next to him.

I don't want to get into a constitutional arguement about seach and seizure, I think it was more like two factions acting childish.

If the law is coming with a warrant you have to comply and fight it out in the courts or you are declaring war.

I am not defending the Feds actions I have a pretty low opinion of them as cops "too much college not enough high school".

But, my opinion of people resisting arrest is even lower.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:02 AM   #17
crashm1

^^^ Dude people were killed over unpaid federal tax stamps and not filling out the proper form before cutting. In Weavers case for a shotgun barrel a 1/4" too short. I am of the opinion that most in government forget when they pass a new law or regulation they are essentially authorizing the use of deadly force if a citizen chooses not to comply or in the case of Randy Weaver is convinced by law enforcement to cut a barrel below the minimum length. Stupid yes, but was it really deserving of a Swat raid? I think not.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:40 AM   #18
shortwave

Its not a big news flash that both Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents are and forever will be sickening,disgraceful events that are a part of our history where outright murder by our government was commited and those responsible(Reno on down to Horiuchi) never even lost their jobs. The known judgement blunders made by the Feds leading up to the final days in these tragedies shall never be forgotten. HS should be boycotted:barf:
Old November 27, 2008, 08:00 AM   #19
VonFireball

Quote:
Dude people were killed over unpaid federal tax stamps and not filling out the proper form before cutting. In Weavers case for a shotgun barrel a 1/4" too short.
It's well known that the undercover feds pestered Weaver for this sawed off shotgun for some time before he agreed to do it. "Entrapment" and "coercion" are words that come to mind.

Quote:
However, Weaver and Koresh are to blame for causing events to spiral out of control.
Don't forget the summons to court they gave Weaver with the wrong date on it.

Quote:
Horiuchi also shot Randy Weaver when he and Kevin Harris went down to the shed where the body of his son Sammy lay after being killed the night before by U.S. Marshalls. Weaver's rifle was at sling arms. Weaver, shot in the shoulder, and Harris fled to the house where Vicki Weaver was shot in the face. The bullet also hit Kevin Harris in the shoulder after going thru Vicki Weaver.
All that over some redneck living in the woods of Idaho who was conned (by the feds) into cutting a shotty shorter than it should be.

It was one screw up after another on the part of the feds.

You can spin it any way you like it: "Weaver was ex green beret and dangerous" or "Weaver was minding his own business" or "Weaver was conned into it". Fact of the matter is that Lon Horiuchi and his superiors are guilty of murder and never had to pay for their crimes because, like so many "officials" today, they hide behind their badge and their authority.

Lon Horiuchi=XXX

Last edited by Bud Helms; November 27, 2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Let's don't start that. Okay?
Old November 27, 2008, 11:32 AM   #20
Wildalaska

Gee wasnt there a US marshall murdered in this incident of fascist JBTs picking on the innocent freedomloving good Americans?

Regardless, HS Precision needs to apologize and withdraw use of the endorsement.

WilddontdebatethefirstpartitisntworthitAlaska TM
Old November 27, 2008, 11:40 AM   #21
P35

Perhaps with Comrade B.H. Obama about to reinstate about half of the old Clinton crowd, they thought it appropriate.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:46 AM   #22
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
Gee wasnt there a US marshall murdered...
Degan was killed in the firefight, yes. Was someone convicted of murdering him?

I do know that part of the Feds' out-of-court settlement with the accused, Kevin Harris, was that the settlement did not constitute an admission of liability, but it strikes me as odd that the Feds would be forking over more than a third of a million dollars to someone they felt was an unconvicted murderer.

Regardless of one's feelings on the merits of the root case, the Ruby Ridge Fiasco was a nearly textbook example of how not to bring in a fugitive...
Old November 27, 2008, 12:06 PM   #23
Wildalaska

WilddontdebatethefirstpartitisntworthitAlaska TM

WildyouwontconvincemeiwontconvinceyouandhsprecisionneedstomakeitrightAlaska TM

today: Herb roasted turkey breast, Couscous, steamed Broccoli

Last edited by Wildalaska; November 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: happy tgng
Old November 27, 2008, 12:25 PM   #24
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Indeed.

Happy ecumenical harvest festival and gorge-a-thon to you, too!
Old November 27, 2008, 01:39 PM   #25
heyduke

Quote:
Gee wasnt there a US marshall murdered in this incident of fascist JBTs picking on the innocent freedomloving good Americans?
Yes there was, and the he got what he deserved IMO.

I may not understand everything that Mr. Weaver stands for, but when Bo Gritz comes in to negotiate a surrender, that should tell you enough about Mr. Weaver as a man.

Quote:
Regardless of one's feelings on the merits of the root case, the Ruby Ridge Fiasco was a nearly textbook example of how not to bring in a fugitive..
+1

And the goverment is very good at covering it's own ass.

Quote:
Perhaps with Comrade B.H. Obama about to reinstate about half of the old Clinton crowd, they thought it appropriate.

Don't worry, some church is probably going to burn

Last edited by heyduke; November 27, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Closed Thread