The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 17, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
HeliosPrime

New vs. Build AR15

I am wondering if it would be cheaper to build an AR15 myself, buying the lower and upper assemblies separate, rather than purchasing a fully assembled rifle. I am hopefully going to use it as a service rifle in high power competition. I have looked at Armalite and RRA for their match grade rifles, but they are outside my budget at this time.
Also would it affect the quality of the rifle if I was to build it myself. I have no experience with customizing rifles yet, though I have rebuilt two old mausers.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Rottweiler

If funds are an issue, DIY'ing is probably your best bet.

You can pick up parts as cash comes available. The lower receiver, lower parts kit and buttstock can all be bought individually and assembled yourself. If you have a basic knowledge of mechanics and can follow the instructions over on arf.com you can handle putting it together. Later you'll probably want to "upgrade" to a match trigger. I recommend Giessele, expensive but good as it gets. They aren't much different to install than a basic one. Just about all match trigger install pretty easily.

The upper receiver is the "accuracy" part and does take some specialized tools. You are probably better off buying that pre-assembled unless you have access to the proper tools or are building several uppers
Old December 17, 2008, 11:00 PM   #3
HeliosPrime

Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into building one myself, not only for the price, but also the experience. Thanks again.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
HeliosPrime

I found two kits for around $500 for a complete basic 20" AR15. All I would need would be a stripped lower.
Its the standard 20" on this site.
http://www.ar15-kits.com/index1.html
http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_20_s/58.htm
Anyone know how good the quality of these kits are? They are within my budget, but I dont wont to get them if they will only cost me more in the long run.
Also, what would be a good stripped lower?
Old December 18, 2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Rottweiler

I don't have any experience with either of those companies but if their parts meet mil-spec then you shouldn't have any problems with them.

As far as lowers go... pick a logo you like. Lowers are pretty much universal
Old December 18, 2008, 08:34 AM   #6
jsmaye

Is building one actually cheaper or is it just a matter of spreading out the same cost?
Old December 18, 2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Logs

Right now it is hard to say. Prices are crazy. Lowers that sold for $89-$99 are now $250-$300. Lower parts kits that were $49-$59 are now around $100. My cousin just bought a New DPMS AR for $735 yesterday in Wisconsin, it was old stock, but still new. I told him he got a Deal.
Old December 18, 2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Dust

I have found a place with kits in stock, meaning complete minus stripped lower, for around $500-$550, plus the stripped lower can be had for around $200, and the complete guns are going for at least $900, so for assembly you save $200.
Old December 18, 2008, 10:03 AM   #9
azredhawk44

Quote:
Is building one actually cheaper or is it just a matter of spreading out the same cost?
Yes, it's cheaper. You have to pay a Federal Excise Tax on firearms purchases. When you buy a complete AR, that tax (is it 17%?) is applied to the total cost of the rifle at ~$700 or whatever. When you just buy a lower, that excise tax is based upon the cost of the lower only, around ~$150 or so. Accessories aren't hit for the excise tax, so your upper receiver assy is then no longer eligible to be taxed since it is no longer part of a complete firearm.

I built a complete A2 configuration with Cavalry Arms lower and Del-Ton upper for about $550. Shoots quite nicely, despite the wretched trigger that came in the Cav-15 Mk-II lower.

Working on a new AR, but my lower alone was ~$200. This one will be quite a bit nicer than the first one though. My lower receiver is blueprinted, giving exacting tolerances. Should be much tighter fitting than a pair of polymer halves glued together like the Cav-15.