The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 12, 2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Singlesix1954

Do you use a wallet holster ?

I have a LCP and am thinking of a wallet holster. I was wondering if it works good for a long time if carried every day, or will it start to print the gun on your jeans pocket like a snuff can ring. If you do have one and like it what brand?
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old April 12, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
tjhands

If it's made of leather you won't have a printing problem for a long, long time.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:36 PM   #3
B. Adams

I bought a pocket holster for my LCP on eBay, and it worked well for a while. But the back flap was relatively thin, and eventually that formed to the shape of the gun, and eventually it made a vague outline of a handgun on my jeans. It wasn't enough that anyone noticed, but it was enough for me to replace it. Then again, no one has noticed that I'm carrying 2 "wallets", so maybe people just aren't too observant.

I used that holster every day for 6 months, and I suppose I got my money's worth out of it.

I now have a couple holsters from http://www.pocketholsters.com/, and they seem to be holding up better than the eBay holster, although I've only had them about 2 weeks. The back flap is about twice as thick as the eBay holster, and that seems to make a big difference.

I imagine that this holster will eventually print, but I have a feeling that it will be less gun-shaped than with my last holster.

On a side note, these pocket holsters barely fit in my jeans pocket.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Moe Howard

This is what I carry my Kel-Tec .380 in. Not exactly a wallet but I have carried it every day for the past 7 months and does not print at all and is showing very little wear.

Bullard pocket holster.

Old April 12, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
relee

I use a Mika pocket holster for my 642 and LCP...Works great, no printing, and with the LCP it really looks like a wallet.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Chesster

Robert Mika (below) makes a good pocket holster at a reasonable price. I have found some good on Ebay. If you get one that is thin on the back, you can fold some $ bills and attach to the back with a large rubber band to eliminate printing.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 12, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
fat old gun nut

pocket holster

I carry mine in a wallet style made by Stone. I carry a Kel-Tec 3AT and it's been my main carry piece for the past 3 yrs. I carry it with the pistol next to my hip. The back of the holster is stiff and looks like I have 2 wallets, but no one has seemed to notice.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:29 PM   #8
armsmaster270

I had one for my High Standard 22Mag Derringer it worked good until it bounced out of my hip pocket chasing a felon. Had a terrible time backtracking to find it.
Old April 13, 2009, 01:55 AM   #9
Playboypenguin

I carry a Seecamp LWS380 in a wallet holster all the time. It makes it possible to easily carry no matter how you are dressed or where you are going.

Old April 13, 2009, 02:34 PM   #10
shoot870p

pocket holster

Azraels Leather in North Carolina has made a couple for me. no complaints. I recommend his work!
Old April 13, 2009, 09:05 PM   #11
FlyboyTx

K&D Wallet Holster for Kel-Tec P32

Bought the holster shortly after buying the gun. Due to my work and mode of dress, I have to assure *no* printing, etc. so have used this every day and has been excellent.

K&D has a link off the Kel-Tec "accessories" page.

Happy Hunting!

FBT
Old April 14, 2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Trigger Finger

I have heard that a true pocket holster, one that changes the shape of a gun, is illegal! I used to know the Federal Section for this but it escapes me now!
Old April 14, 2009, 09:06 AM   #13
Wiskey_33

Quote:
I have heard that a true pocket holster, one that changes the shape of a gun, is illegal! I used to know the Federal Section for this but it escapes me now!
Not illegal, but regulated by the BATFE. Considered an AOW.
Old April 14, 2009, 04:20 PM   #14
mrt949

Only way to carry a small auto .Like a seecamp or kt .it sits right up ready to go .
Old April 14, 2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
I have heard that a true pocket holster, one that changes the shape of a gun, is illegal!
Quote:
Not illegal, but regulated by the BATFE. Considered an AOW.
And the answer is -- None Of The Above!

The holster you guys are thinking of is one that was originally designed for the Hi-Standard double derringer, which made it appear to be a wallet. It had a hole in the center through which the trigger could be pulled, firing the weapon.

A wallet holster is perfectly legal, so long as the weapon cannot be fired inside the holster. I made one for my P-32 which worked fine, until I put a pocket-slipper laser on it, which eliminated the need for the leather holster.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old April 15, 2009, 07:16 AM   #16
Wiskey_33

Quote:
And the answer is -- None Of The Above!

The holster you guys are thinking of is one that was originally designed for the Hi-Standard double derringer, which made it appear to be a wallet. It had a hole in the center through which the trigger could be pulled, firing the weapon.

A wallet holster is perfectly legal, so long as the weapon cannot be fired inside the holster. I made one for my P-32 which worked fine, until I put a pocket-slipper laser on it, which eliminated the need for the leather holster.
ATF has previously determined that firearms installed in various
types of wallets, briefcases, canes, etc. may be NFA firearms as
defined. The submitted samples are rectangular leather cases,
which measure approximately 5 1/2 inches in length and 2 3/4 inches
in height. They are designed to hold an American Derringer firearm
(Model DA 38) in a fixed position with openings in the leather so
that the derringer can be operated and fired while it is in the
case. When the derringer is installed in the case, the weapon has
the exterior appearance to other "wallet guns" which have
previously been determined to be NFA firearms.

I was referring to the holster in which the pistol could be fired from, which is an NFA item.

Old April 15, 2009, 07:22 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

maybe.....

If I did, I might notice that IF one can fire the gun with its holster attached, one has (in the eyes of the government) "made a gun", and as such one must license it appropriately.

If I did, I might make mention that eventually all my jeans bare an imprint of the 'wallet', and if screws or tabs are involved, pocket holes result.

maybe.....
Old April 15, 2009, 08:28 AM   #18
Singlesix1954

Hey folks, thanks! Looks like the quest for the "quality hardbodied" wallet holster is on. Glad to know about the laws on the "shoot in holster" style. Sometimes just leaving the grayarea blurred isn't the best way to go. I'm looking @ the "Meco Texas" model but not sold because I havent had one in my hand. I want one made of good stiff leather to hold up over a # of years. I'll be leaving the thread run in hopes of some more brad names recomended buy users.

Thanks again!
Single six 1954
Old April 15, 2009, 08:52 AM   #19
CortJestir

Meco Love

Quote:
I'm looking @ the "Meco Texas" model but not sold because I havent had one in my hand.
I have a Meco for my LCP - a back pocket version in black leather. I was pleasantly surprised by its construction and the craftsmanship involved. It came recommended by another forum member, and now, I make the recommendation to you as well.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:15 AM   #20
lowbud

I have one of those wallet thingies for my P3AT. I don't carry it bcasue my pants are already saggy in the rear so when I have it in my back pocket it feels like I could loose them at any moment. lol.. I have too much overhang out front so I uasally carry on the belt with a small holster with the shirt out. it stays pretty well hidden. Heck I can damn near hide a full size auto that way..
Old April 15, 2009, 09:15 AM   #21
Wleoff

Keltec with holster. I've used it about two years.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
hardluk1

My 38 works by it self in my front pocket but i do use a pocket holster for the 32 in my front pocket.
Old April 18, 2009, 01:01 AM   #23
FLA2760

I use the Desantis "Trickster" for my Kel Tec P32. It works with the Ruger LCP too. Nice leather rig that won't break the bank.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...10&itm_index=2
Old April 18, 2009, 04:52 AM   #24
Stiofan

I use a DeSantis Nemisis front pocket holster about 95% of the time, and the DeSantis rear pocket holster the balance if the type of pants I'm wearing print too much in front.

The problem with the rear holster is the holster and gun are too big for most rear pants pockets and will either slightly stick out the top or hold the top of the pocket open so the gun shows. This is more a problem of the gun size than the holster. I like the front pocket carry much better.
Old April 19, 2009, 03:02 PM   #25
Singlesix1954

CortJester

Thanks that is the info I needed. All of you have been helpfull. Seems that maybe there is more CCW pocket holster folks than I thought out there. I will order a "MECO" asap and post results when I have had it long enough to give a educated critique.
Single six 1954