The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 22, 2009, 12:43 PM   #26
ZeSpectre

Quote:
A foolish action that resulted in yet more negative gun publicity, thanks moron. I absolutely cannot fault the other restaurant patrons who called the police. Use some common sense folks!
Oh and move to the back of the bus while you're at it.
Old April 22, 2009, 12:57 PM   #27
KLRANGL

Quote:
Insisting on openly carrying a firearm in public is foolish and immature,
Or much more convenient... life is not black and white... I have to open carry by law in VABC licensed restaurants, and when its warm out it is usually loosely concealed. Not foolish or immature...

Quote:
A foolish action that resulted in yet more negative gun publicity, thanks moron. I absolutely cannot fault the other restaurant patrons who called the police. Use some common sense folks!
The way he approached the situation was certainly not recommended, but foolish and moronic? Come on man...
There is such thing as tasteful open carry
Old April 22, 2009, 12:58 PM   #28
Housezealot

Quote:
I agree with open carry, but that guy was actively looking for trouble and knew what was going to happen before it happened, had his tape recorder ready and everything
I don't open carry, becuse I don't want everyone to know I am armed, I would feel better carring a full size pistol as opposed to a compact but to me the advatages don't outweight the disadvantages. that being said, how was the guy having a tape recorder on hand any differnent from having the pistol? he was prepared to defend himself from a different negative situation.
I find it very distressing that a police captain would publicly speak against a the law becusae he disagrees with it, can you imagine if he was publicly disaggring with another law? If he said "a law officer would have to be a moron not to aproach an individual who was covererd with tattoos/had a mohawk/black/white/mexican/had piercings without telling them to put their hands on their head" he would sliting his own throat, even though the guy with the pistol was doing nothing any more illegal than an individual who is covererd with tattoos/had a mohawk/black/white/mexican/had piercings.
Also I would less suspisious of some one not trying to hide there weapon.
makes me sick to here that cop talk:barf:
Old April 22, 2009, 01:31 PM   #29
sclay

I voted Absolutley agree even though I disagree.

While I like the law allowing one to OC, I don't see why anyone would do so if their is an option to CC.

Why make others nervous? And why show the bad guys your Ace in the hole?

While if may deter a few, showing your weapon gives the bad guy the upper hand. Now along with your money he now has your gun.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:41 PM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why make others nervous? And why show the bad guys your Ace in the hole?
While I may agree with the "Ace in the Hole" idea, the ONLY reason it makes people nervous is because it's so rare. The sort of argument that it should be legal but people shouldn't do it is exactly what caused the argument that people shouldn't do it.

See? Circular argument..... People stop open carry, making other people nervous when someone does open carry, making people say that people shouldn't open carry because it makes people nervous, so less people open carry, making it even more rare and making even more people nervous when somebody does it.... and on and on.

Another point, I don't recall too many stories of BGs walking down the street with the pistol openly visible on their hip. BGs tend to hide their weapons until they plan to use them. It's a pretty safe bet that a person walking around with a visible handgun in a holster is either a cop or legally open carrying so what is it that makes people so nervous?
Old April 22, 2009, 02:07 PM   #31
KLRANGL

Quote:
See? Circular argument..... People stop open carry, making other people nervous when someone does open carry, making people say that people shouldn't open carry because it makes people nervous, so less people open carry, making it even more rare and making even more people nervous when somebody does it.... and on and on.
Right on man...

Most people just think you're a cop. Ive never had a open carry incident, except maybe the time the girl at the register asked if it was a toy....
Old April 22, 2009, 02:08 PM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

If all you have to contribute to a thread is +1 in re: someone else's posts, use PM to tell them how much you appreciate them.

Posting just to give someone a +1 is a waste of bandwidth, and such posts stand a serious chance of being deleted.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 22, 2009, 03:27 PM   #33
Chuckusaret

Voted yes and is at 91.1% yes

Last edited by Chuckusaret; April 22, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old April 22, 2009, 03:39 PM   #34
Doodlebugger45

Interesting that 91% of the respondents voted "absolutely" but it still created such a stir.

I do believe in the right to carry, but it comes down to being practical. I'm glad that some folks have the time and patience to cause an incident just to remind the general public that we do have these rights. In my own life though, it's just simpler to avoid walking around with a firearm when it might cause an incident. Who needs that hassle?

It's a sad commentary on our society though to think that 30 years ago I could have walked down the street toting my rifle or handgun in plain sight and nobody would have given it a second thought here in my town. But now, when I do carry a rifle or handgun down the street for even a block to go to my local gun shop for a trade or gunsmithing, I get a lot of odd stares, wondering if I'm some maniac who will shoot up the town.
Old April 22, 2009, 03:48 PM   #35
NavyLT

Voted yes.

I am one of the "morons" who open carries 95% of the time. A right not exercised is a right lost.

BTW, Indiana does not respect the right to carry a concealed weapon. They require a fee to be paid for a licnese. That does not make carrying a concealed weapon a right, it makes it a priviledge that you pay money to the state for their permission.

I don't blame the guy at all for carrying a recorder, I am thinking about getting one myself.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/23861.html

BTW, the US Supreme Court has ruled that an anonymous tip regarding a MWAG is no grounds for even a Terry stop when no suspicion of criminal activity present. A lawfully carried firearm is not a basis for suspicion of criminal activity, IE: unlawful possession of that firearm by a felon, etc.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:11 PM   #36
NavyLT

Here's another "moron":
http://www.wisn.com/news/19235901/detail.html

I think this comment sums it up:

"This is America. If we don't stand up for our rights, you know, what are we doing here? What have people fought and died for? Why'd we found this country?" Krause said.

And, let me pose this question: What if a group of people stands up and exclaims, "We are afraid for our lives because this state allows people to carry concealed weapons and we are afraid because we don't know who has a gun and who doesn't!" Obviously, by the same reasoning stated against open carrying, because it scares people, we should then just stop carrying concealed and ban concealed carry permits. And if you don't think that won't happen, look at the current state of licensed concealed carry in National Parks.

Last edited by NavyLT; April 22, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:18 PM   #37
Hellbilly5000

If the gun is in a holster and is openly carried then you should assume that he is doing so legally. BG are not going to carry a gun on there hip in the open. If a bg is going to be carrying a gun in the open chances are its in there hand and about to be pointed at someone and fired.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:57 PM   #38
sclay

Quote:
If a bg is going to be carrying a gun in the open chances are its in there hand and about to be pointed at someone and fired.
And I wonder which one he shoots first the man he sees wearing a gun or the dude eating a ice cream cone while he slowly slips his hand into his pocket.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:06 PM   #39
NavyLT

Quote:
And I wonder which one he shoots first the man he sees wearing a gun or the dude eating a ice cream cone while he slowly slips his hand into his pocket.
I would be willing to bet (my life on it, as a matter of fact), that the majority of BG's are going to see a gun present and think, "Holy, crap, I would be much better off going somewhere where there isn't some moron carrying a gun that is likely to shoot me" and just leaves.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/24827.html

Why do you think criminals like to frequent places with no gun signs?
Old April 22, 2009, 05:20 PM   #40
sclay

Quote:
I would be willing to bet (my life on it, as a matter of fact), that the majority of BG's are going to see a gun present and think, "Holy, crap, I would be much better off going somewhere where there isn't some moron carrying a gun that is likely to shoot me" and just leaves.
Since your betting your life on it I sure hope your right.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:22 PM   #41
Hellbilly5000

Also with this poll how many people here voted on it that don't live in Ohio?
I don't think the news station ever thought people from Wyoming and Texas and across the country would vote.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:27 PM   #42
Mike Irwin
Staff

I would say it depends on the intelligence of the criminal at hand, and god knows this nation is burdened with criminal of pitifully weak intelligence.

Every once in awhile you hear the ones about criminals who try to rob gun stores.

Or, they'll walk right past a police car in a convenience store parking lot, look at the police officer drinking a cup of coffee, and then try to rob the place.

Or, my all time favorite, the one from the 1970s where two brain dead idiots decided to rob a cop bar somewhere in the mid west. They figured that there were a lot of cops in the bar spending money, so the cash register should be filled...

Yow.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:44 PM   #43
cracked91

I think, (THINK tuttle, im not the prophet you seem to think I am) the presence of an openly carried firearm would dissuade a bg, unless he was going in with intent to kill someone. If all he wanted was the money, he is going to see the gun, and know that either way someone is getting shot, and most will want to avoid the hassle. I am all for CC in the city, and OC when I am outdoors. People who are out doing recreational things like hiking usually wont give you a second look when you have a gun. I am all for CC in the city because of most of the points here. 1: If the guy is willing to shoot someone and he sees you before you see him, your gonna be the first on his list 2: If he is dissuaded by it, it does not necessarily mean he is not just going to move on the next restraunt, better for him to try something with you there where you might be able to prevent a violent crime.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:04 PM   #44
Hellbilly5000

I was looking on the darwin awards where some idiot walked around 2 squad cars into a gun store waved I believe it was a .22 handgun and ended up with 21 holes in him from 7 different weapons and 40 or 50 some odd shell casing on the ground.
And you know some one was going man I want all that brass to reload
Old April 22, 2009, 06:13 PM   #45
Housezealot

I strongly agree with cracked91, we all argue a lot about a bg targeting the armed person first or not, and we tend to lose sight of the fact that there is more than one type of BG if said BG is looking for a fight he would certanitly take out the armed individual first, it's probably true most BG's are not looking for a fight , but if we were the type of people that played everything according to the percentages none of would carry firearms to begin with.
just my humble opinion
Old April 22, 2009, 07:13 PM   #46
djohn

When people open carry apparance could be a huge factor on public reaction.Example a guy OC with dress shirt and slacks vs OC with jeans and T-shirt.stereotype folks among the public.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:25 PM   #47
Housezealot

I have a (tattoo) sleeve on one arm and a lot of the other arm covered as well and have noticed that even at the range i get looks like I shouldn't be carrying a gun so I would have to agree with you there

Last edited by Housezealot; April 22, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:54 PM   #48
Genepix

I voted yes, only because that state law prohibits concealed carry and does permit open carry. Whether excellent judgment was exercised or not, state law gave him the right to do so...(Assuming the info is correct)....

To allow ANY citizen to open carry versus allowing law abiding individuals to APPLY for a concealed weapons permit that involves an extensive background check, including FBI screening, seems ridiculous to me....I agree with everyone who states that open carry is an invitation for trouble, with the already noted exceptions, including carry on your own land, etc.... Just allowing "bad guys" to be able to size you up in advance is reason enough to not open carry, in my opinion. Chances are, they will be carrying CONCEALED.... EVERYONE should not be allowed to carry a weapon, however it is carried.... Proper screening and certification is the very least any state can do to both enforce Constitutional Rights and Public Safety.....
Old April 22, 2009, 08:48 PM   #49
Trooper Tyree

Quote:
I voted yes, only because that state law prohibits concealed carry and does permit open carry. Whether excellent judgment was exercised or not, state law gave him the right to do so...(Assuming the info is correct)....

To allow ANY citizen to open carry versus allowing law abiding individuals to APPLY for a concealed weapons permit that involves an extensive background check, including FBI screening, seems ridiculous to me....I agree with everyone who states that open carry is an invitation for trouble, with the already noted exceptions, including carry on your own land, etc.... Just allowing "bad guys" to be able to size you up in advance is reason enough to not open carry, in my opinion. Chances are, they will be carrying CONCEALED.... EVERYONE should not be allowed to carry a weapon, however it is carried.... Proper screening and certification is the very least any state can do to both enforce Constitutional Rights and Public Safety.....
Ohio prohibits concealed carry? Not the last I heard.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/concealcarry/index.asp

He had the chance to carry concealed, this wasn't about that though as evidenced by him having a tape recorder ready, he was out to make a show and he did.

Quote:
Shall we assume from your screen name you are in law enforcement?
Police open carry on a regular basis and a tiny percentage of them commit crimes. Why should Joe Blow be anymore concerned about Bill the Open carry guy? Out of 80 million or whatever legal gun owners a vanishingly small percentage of them commit any crime more extreme than speeding or tearing the tags off their mattresses. What exactly is the difference between cop and Bill other than the cop enforces the states will?
If we were talking about Joey the recently released felon I could agree with you but we aren't Joey isn't supposed to have a gun in the first place because he has demonstrated an inability to behave civilly.
I think we need to desensitize the public to open carry by ordinary people to counter the stigma that the VPC and Brady's have created.
No, we shan't. Some of us will however, now assume you are a young whippersnapper because you don't know who Trooper Tyree was. Ben Johnson anyone?

The reason why Joe Blow cares about open carry is because he doesn't have any way to tell if the person is Joey the recently released felon or just your typical twit out to throw his weight around and carry a big gun on his belt to compensate for the lack of a big gun below his belt.

The police also do not have any way to tell who the person carrying the weapon is. If you open carry in inappropriate places, regardless of it's legality, you very likely will be braced, ordered to the ground, and suffer through having your weapon removed and held until they can ascertain you are in fact legal. The reason the copper said what he did, is because they can't let you keep your gun while they run your info because they don't know if they are standing next to Joey the released felon, running his info to see if he is supposed to be armed or not, while Joey still has his weapon on him.

Open carry has it's uses and it's place. When you have other alternatives that better suit the situation, use them. There are better ways to acclimate the public to firearms than scaring people in a public demonstration that just makes you look like a fool. Open carry does not = responsible gun owner. It can just as easily = perp going on a shooting rampage. If someone strides into the mall open carrying a weapon, for at least me, that is going to be cause for me to go on alert, and they sure better not make any poorly chosen actions.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:56 PM   #50
Housezealot

I also don't belive it is wise to open carry, but I fear the idea of legislating common sense, it is a slippery slope, thats like pulling some one over becuse they have a corvette and the ability to do 150 (yeah I know it's not the same) when we start justifing violation of personal rights is when we start moving into a police state.
I don't mean to argue with you trooper, so I'll stop now

I do not agree with what you are saying; but I will die defending your right to say it. ...