The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 30, 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
timdennis

32 Magnum

Last year I bought a 32 Magnum revolver-SW 431PD.I know they had stopped making them but they were still floating around. I'm happy with it and carry it a lot. I realized I was taking a chance with this caliber. I'm curious if anyone has seen 32 Magnum revolvers at their local gunshop. I'm not referring to Charter Arms(which they still make) but the S&W 432PD,431PD,Taurus 731UL and the Ruger SP101. I rarely see these models on Gunbroker. I'm not sure if Taurus still makes the 731UL but I know the S&W models are extinct.
Old April 30, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
rjrivero

.32 H&R Magnum.....

631 Lady Smith. Next to a 65 Lady Smith.

If you ever want to get rid of that 431PD, please drop me a line. I really like that caliber.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Daryl

I haven't seen any in quite a while. I have a Ruger Single Six chambered in .32 mag, and even those are getting harder to find.

Daryl
Old May 1, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4
gak

They're around. Great caliber. A lot of folks have finally come to appreciate the little cartridge that could--and are holding on to them. Single action Rugers seem to be going up after a selling/price slump (to sellers). .327 also may eventually give the little powerhouse a new life as well..making the H&R the equivalent of what the S&W Long used to be to it...a milder recoiling round for plinking and small pest control duty. J frame Smiths such as yours are great in the .32M as you've found out.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Superhouse 15

Gunshop owner's wife has one of the 431s. She is small framed and has no problem handling the recoil while she finds the .38s recoil uncomfortable.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I also like the caliber... the S&W air weight was my 1st carry gun... though I feel more confident carrying my air lite 44 special...

I just recienly bought a stainless single six in 32 H&R mag... I had been looking for one for a couple years... a forum member contacted me that he was selling the 2 he had... I don't know if he sold the 2nd one ( case hardened ) or not, but I love my stainless single six... I bought it from forum member "Thirties" & he had them listed in the hand gun sale section here a month or so if he did not sell the case colored gun ????

this is my S&W...

here is one of my single six ( sorry not as good a quality pic )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stainless 32 single six.jpg (13.8 KB, 2533 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

SW has the new 631 that will do 32 HR mags as it is chambered in 327.

I got a 432 when they were being dumped for $335 - now I see them in the 500s.
Old May 1, 2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Sarvisian

I've got a 432 which I love and also a .32Mag SP-101 and a Single-Six. I've also got a Marlin levergun in .32 H&R. Great little round and I buy any of them I can find.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:40 PM   #9
CBH

I bought this pre-lock S&W #331 TI .32 H&R magnum for my daughter. When guns in .32 mag show up in local shops they do not last long. I would like to find a 332 TI for her too.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:40 AM   #10
jamesjo

My 32 magnum ,
1984 H&R Model 586 32 H&R magnum
Old May 2, 2009, 01:48 PM   #11
dirt reaper

I love my Smith & Wesson Model 631 32 H&R Mag. and it has been my CC ever since I purchased it in 1993. I think 1993? Great little package with 6 shots instead of the 5 in the 38spc. At the time of purchase that little fact sold me on it. The 32 mag. balistics are very close to the 38spc., from memory, I cannot recall the actual numbers.

The S&W 631 was not produced in large quanities and only for a short time. If my memory is still intact, huge question mark, the 631 in the 2'' barrel is a real keeper as they were the smallest in production numbers of all variations. I have been trying to find the article, Google is great but way too much sometimes, that gives a pretty detailed account of this particular model. I will post that when I find it. The 631 is not a LadySmith but the precursor to the LadySmith.

rjrivero - Check the yoke on the 2'' 631 and see if you have additional numbers. Not stamped but dimpled-in(could not think of a better term). Mine has a 3 digit number. I have always wondered if this was an additional numbering for the limited production on the 2'' 631.

I would love to have another 32 Mag. with a longer barrel. I really like the Rugers. Never enough money for new toys.

J

Last edited by dirt reaper; September 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 02:22 PM   #12
dirt reaper

Although this is not the article I mentioned above it does mention the S&W 631. It seems the 2'' 631 is real "keeper". Near the end of the article.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/sw_50.htm

Any S&W junkies care to chime in or have any other resources?

Thanks,

J
Old May 3, 2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Hammer It

Hello
I am a .32 H&R Magnum Lover. My first one was a S&W Model 331 Ti-Scan revolver. I carried it a year and the finish flaked off. I was about to shoot it one day at my Local range when I drew it from my Holster, I heard a Rattle. I checked it over close and found the Internal Barrel loose. I was able to Unscrew it with my Finger when I got home, and sent the Picture to S&W service.They sent a shipping Label and repaired the Loose Barrel issue, plus refinished it. When it returned I asked if the new finish would stay intact and their reply was it was a spray paint coated finish. I was not Impressed with their response so I swapped it for a Model 631 with a 2" Barrel. I then found a 4" Kit Gun Model 631 and later the Model 16-4. I now carry the model 431 shown with No finish issues... Hammer It

Old May 3, 2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Jim Downey

I'm intrigued by the caliber, as well. We'd tested the H&R Mag in our first series of tests, and just recently completed doing the .327 Mag tests (data should be available on our site in 10 days - 2 weeks). I had been very skeptical about the .327 but the tests were impressive.
http://www.communionofdreams.com/ Communion of Dreams - my current novel.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:43 AM   #15
Hammer It

Hello Jim
Very Interesting Information you have complied on the Ballistics for the .32 H&R Magnum Indeed. I have come to Love this round and being a Hand-Loader, I must admit to see the true Potential of the .32 H& R Magnum One must hand-load for it. I saw your test using a 6" barrel showed 1134 FPS. I can see why Many would argue the fact that the .32 H&R Magnum can not do anything the .38 Special can do at that Velocity. Sadly, Knowing the round was Intended for a weaker design revolver being the H&R I feel the velocity was kept Mild to avoid Liability issues in weaker framed Guns.

I Have a S&W Model 16-4 shown that is the K-Frame size with a heavy Barrel lug added to it. The cylinder sure looks thick enough to Push the velocity to the upper limits so a few years Back I started working Up Hand loads for this caliber. I used Hornady 85 Grain XTP Bullets, Star line Cases and CCI Magnum small Pistol Primers for Testing. I set up My Crony device and clocked an amazing 1350 FPS out of the Loads I used IMR-2400 and Hodgens H-110 with.

I noticed no case stretch, nor hard extraction, But it did show Mild flattening of the Primers. I felt I could stand to go a little more so I increased by half Grain increments eventually going up another full grain using the Hodgens H-110 Magnum powder.

This test showed me results of 1430 FPS and it actually shrank the group size as I increased the Powder charges. In Five or six rounds shot out of 24 Loaded to this Spec, I Noticed some Primer Cratering. I Loaded some more with a Half Grain Increase and when I fired them, Five out of Six rounds had Blown Primers, But my Velocity was now at an amazing 1490 FPS. The extraction of spent shells was still easy, and a mild case stretch was showing Now.

I went back home Increased the load by another half grain, changed out to new trimmed star Line Brass cases and this time I Loaded some Small Rifle standard primers in Place of the small Pistol Primers. I returned to the range set up My Crony meter and was Pleased to see these loads were clocking an amazing 1520 consistently with almost a full case charge of powder. Extraction was slightly stretched cases making me Hit the extractor end with the Palm of my hand to get them out of the cylinder, But the primers were Not blowing this time. I felt I went about as far as I dare with this round, but it sure woke me up of what it is truly capable of showing me Velocities right there along side the famous .357 magnum....

In closing, I would not suggest anyone trying this type Test with anything less than the S&W Model 16-4 due to it Rugged Construction. I also will Not afford anyone my Load info due to Liability issues, and I can safely say, I will Not wade as far out in deep waters stretching a cartridge like this again. It did not harm my S&W but without the proper means to test actual pressures, one is taking dangerous matter's in hand here.. Hammer it
Old May 3, 2009, 10:30 AM   #16
Jim Downey

Hammer It, I'm not at all surprised by those numbers. I just pulled the data sheets from our chop tests for the .327 Mag and they are all in excess of what you got. We tested the following ammo: Federal Hydra-Shok 85 gr, American Eagle 100 gr JSP, and Speer GDHP 115 gr. At the full 18" barrel the velocities we got were all in excess of 1900 fps (with the AE almost 2200 fps). At 6" all were in the 1700 fps range, at 4" they were 1450 - 1600 fps. And, as noted on our site:
Quote:
One note: in every case with the T/C Encore the length of the barrel was measured from the end of the barrel back to the breech face. This is how semi-auto pistols are measured, but revolvers are measured as the length of the barrel in front of the cylinder gap. Take this into consideration when comparing calibers using our numbers.
So the numbers for a revolver with a 2" barrel would fall approximately in that 4" chop test range.

Yeah, I am very intrigued by the .327 magnum. Certainly, you’re not going to get the same kind of performance as you would with a .357 magnum throwing a heavier bullet at similar velocities, but the 115 gr slug is considered a good 9mm round - and those velocities for the .327 are significantly higher.

Impressive.

Jim D.

Last edited by Jim Downey; May 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:56 AM   #17
Hammer It

Quote:
Yeah, I am very intrigued by the .327 magnum. Certainly, you’re not going to get the same kind of performance as you would with a .357 magnum throwing a heavier bullet at similar velocities, but the 115 gr slug is considered a good 9mm round - and those velocities for the .327 are significantly higher.
Hello Jim
I appreciate your insight and sharing of Knowledge here. I see it as this, I know down Deep The .32 H&R Magnum will Never be what the .357 Magnum is, but loaded up to the Higher velocities I experienced with Hand-Loading it, I feel the Hornady slug driven to that level will have the same reuslts as a 22-250 with a 55 grain Bullet. Explosive on Impact and devastating results. If you have ever hit a wood chuck Mid section with a 22-250 Rifle, you will know what I speak of here as I have seen Holes that I could shove my Fist through from the Tiny 55 Grain Bullet becuase of Being driven to Super High Velocity. That is why I carry the .32 H&R Magnum round in small S&W-J-Frame with my own Handloads... Hammer It
Old May 3, 2009, 10:59 AM   #18
dirt reaper

Hammer It - Very impressive collection of 32 Mags., very nice!

I was wondering if there is any documentation on the production numbers of the S&W Model 631 32 Mag and the break-down on the different variations of said model?

The little information I have found indicate the 2'' is something of a rarity with production numbers below 1000. I however can find no solid evidence of this. Any thoughts or direction for documentation?

J
Old May 3, 2009, 11:21 AM   #19
Jim Downey

Definitely what dirt reaper said about the pix - excellent collection of guns!

I'm not disagreeing, Hammer It - doing these tests has pushed me to abandon a number of prejudices I had. One of them was towards the .32, considering it little more than an artifact of an earlier age (a 'weenie European' caliber, I think I'd said). I do now see both the H&R and the new .327 as viable - six rounds in a j-frame sized revolver with .38sp level of performance is a nice CCW option. Since I also hand load, I can see your approach as being very appealing.

Cheers!

Jim D.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:01 PM   #20
Hammer It

Quote:
I was wondering if there is any documentation on the production numbers of the S&W Model 631 32 Mag and the break-down on the different variations of said model?

The little information I have found indicate the 2'' is something of a rarity with production numbers below 1000. I however can find no solid evidence of this. Any thoughts or direction for documentation?
Hello Dirtreaper & Jim
From what I have Read they Only Produced a total of 1000 Model 631's in The standard 2" Snub, The 2" Lady Smith Version and the 4" Kit Gun version. I have heard 500 of Each, but that was Pure speculation and I have no idea of how one could prove otherwise. The .32 Caliber is very appealing as far as accuracy Goes. I also like the .32S&W Long Caliber and recently Magnumized it by reading a current Guns & Ammo Article. I Loaded an 85 Grain Hornady XTP in front of 4.0 Grains of Unique Powder and it clocked an amazing 1150 FPS Out of my 6" Calssic K-32 Revolver which is unheard of in the Old School Load Books for the .32 S&W Long.

I like this caliber because it has Very Little recoil and the results of a tight group are just short of amazing. At one time, The .32 S&W Long was the daily carry caliber of most Police agencies, but over time it got swept aside for the larger more Powerful magnum calibers. It is no secret it is also a great target round due to it's low recoil and Inherint accuracy qualities. That said, I have been running a bunch of handloads through this K-32 Target Masterpiece attempting to find the Perfect One.

I found a Guns & Ammo article on the famous classic .32 S&W Long but the New Loads were Much More Potent than the standard Old school Loads. So from that article while using Two different Powders one being Hodgens Tight Group and the Other being Vitavorti N-310 I Honed down on a Great Target Load for this K-32 Target Masterpiece. To give you a little back ground on what it took to get to this Point I have Loaded and fired at this time 21 Different handloads and used Better than 600 Bullets while Testing.When I get a Hard On for a caliber I run the Gauntlent trying to find what works best like most avid hand loaders do

I managed to get the Load down to it's most accurate Point with using 2.4 Grains of Vitavorti N-350 Powder, a 98 Grain lead Bullet trimmed to length .32 S&W Long Brass cases, a CCI-350 Primer and a Medium crimp. Below is the Test Target I fired at Yesterday while at the range. The distance for all Practicle purposes Intended was set at the 20 Yard Line. The daylight sun was strong on my Back while shooting it made the target Glow when I fired these Six shots into it. You will see one Hit on the Left of The Bulls Eye. That was The first shot fired with this experimental load.

I Then adjusted the windage on the sight and the Next Five grouped Under A Half Inch. I came home very Pleased with this group, but as most handloaders I feel it Can be Improved Upon so I Loaded 50 More rounds at One Tenth of a Grain of Powder being 2.3 seeing if the slight reduction will shrink the group a Little more. I Plan on getting there early this week to test this what I hope to be Final Batch of Handloads in a revolver that has been a real Challenge to find the barrels sweet spot... Hammer It.

Old May 15, 2009, 03:49 PM   #21
hoosker

Hammer It,

I stumbled upon this forum and read this thread with interest as I am a longtime 32 H&R Mag fan. I started more than 20 years ago with this little known cartridge in a Ruger single six. A friend of mine worked up different loads and shot these guns a ton. I remember we had a load, an Alberts cast wadcutter (can't remember the weight) with 2 grains of bullseye was a tack driver and less kick than a 22. At some point I traded it in on a S&W 16-4 like the one in your photo. This is my all-time favorite handgun. The main reason is it points-- when I pull it up, the sites are allready lined up and I get impressive groups. It is the gun I pull out when I feel the need to show off my shooting abilities. Little does anyone know that it is the gun and not me!

Thanks for sharing your experiences -- really made my day.

BTW. What do you know abt the history of the 16-4 in 32mag? I assume they do not make it anymore. Wonder what they are worth. Not that I will ever part with mine. My friend ended up getting the small little S&W 32mag (can't remember the model) in stainless. Did not see it in your photos. It was small, stainless, very petite and packable but not a snub nose. But did not shoot anywhere like my 16-4

thanks again.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:46 PM   #22
Hammer It

Quote:
BTW. What do you know abt the history of the 16-4 in 32mag? I assume they do not make it anymore. Wonder what they are worth. Not that I will ever part with mine. My friend ended up getting the small little S&W 32mag (can't remember the model) in stainless. Did not see it in your photos. It was small, stainless, very petite and packable but not a snub nose. But did not shoot anywhere like my 16-4
Hello Hoosker
Welcome to the forum always good to see another .32 H&R magnum Fan among us Lover's of the Cartridge. The Model 16-4 was introduced in 1989. Mine is a 1989 and they discontinued them in or around 1991 due to soft sales. They made them with 4"-6" & 8-3/8" barrels and only about 2500 or so. The small gun you speak of your friend having was a model 631 Combat Masterpiece Kit Gun Magnum -J-frame, which was a tad bit larger than the Previous-J-frames. They produced the 631 in a 2" snub, a 2" Snub Lady Smith and the 4" Model of mine shown above. They Only made about 1500 of them from what I have heard and 500 of each model mentioned. I hope this helps, Hammer It
Old May 17, 2009, 09:27 AM   #23
Ocraknife

I could be wrong but I thought I read an article somewhere that the 32 mag round was making a strong come back due to it's good muzzle energy and low recoil.

Anybody else read that or am I just crazy (again)?

-Jimro
Old May 18, 2009, 12:17 PM   #24
hoosker

Just a shot of mine and the holster a friend made for it. Can you tell when it was made by the serial number?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-holster.jpg (65.5 KB, 67 views)
Old May 18, 2009, 12:29 PM   #25
hoosker

what is a kit gun?

thanks