The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 12, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Nick-Mc

Leaving your handgun in a hot car

This is just a general question, what are your feelings on leaving your handgun in a hot car for part of the day, good, bad, indifferent?
Lets say your going to work and you leaving your handgun and ammo in a compartment of your locked car, the sun comes up and as we all know the inside of your car gets mighty warm.
What are peoples comments on having a mag of ammo inside the car with the heat?
It may be a stupid question to some, but i'm just looking for a little input.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
ar15chase

The ammo and the gun will be fine, unless somebody sets your car on fire.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
troy_mclure

i leave my xd in my car in the hot louisiana sun all the time. no problems.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 12, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Dragon55

Is it one of them thar new fangled plastic guns
Old May 12, 2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Mythbusters

Did the black car, white car in the sun test, I think the top temp in the SanFrancisco sun was 126 degrees both cars & the black car got there first... I don't think a gun in a glove box (or ammo) would get hot enough to either damage the gun or set off the ammo

I wouldn't reccommend leaving you Glock on the dashboard tho, I might add

A windscreen sun reflector shade thingie might be adviseable, in any case, will stop you burning your butt (among other things) when you get in, too
Old May 12, 2009, 11:45 AM   #6
rzach

It will not get hot enough to from the sun to shoot
Old May 12, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Dave85

The temperatures reached inside a sun-drenched car will not effect common materials used to make guns. The temperatures achieved in localized areas and components of the gun during extended firing will exceed those achieved in a car, even if you sit it on the black dashboard of a black car with a black interior. Although it might be a little hot to hold in your bare hands if you do sit it there.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:20 PM   #8
ZeSpectre

I once did a test regarding temperature in vehicles. It was focused on protecting camera equipment but the principles still apply here.

The hottest areas were, as you might guess, the dashboard and the drivers and passengers seats.

The glovebox was hot but not as hot.

The trunk tended to be cooler than the glovebox.

The best thermal protection I found was a heavy wool blanket and the coolest I ever kept the equipment while testing was inside a cooler which was surrounded by a thick wool blanket.

I wish I had the numbers handy but swaddling stuff in the thick wool blanket reduced the temperature of objects by somewhere around 60% vs leaving them sitting on the driver's seat and something like 30% over just leaving stuff in the trunk.

Regardless, I've seen a gun so hot from sitting in Arizona sun that it would have raised blisters if you picked it up, but the firearm and ammo were unharmed.

Now if you were going to repeat those conditions on a regular basis I'd shoot the mag and refresh my ammo every month or so just to be safe.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Nick-Mc

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I didn't expect so much great advice. It is one of those "plastic" guns haha, a glock 17. I have a center console that it fits in just perfectly and I wanted to make sure the heat would mess with it if it sits out there for eight hours while i'm working. Also, I wanted to make sure the heat wouldn't unseat the bullets or anything. I usually blast away the mag and replace it with new carry ammo I have stored every month or so, just to make sure. But the general concensus is I am good to go, correct? a hot car won't give me any problems.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:33 PM   #10
GLADIO

that's quite a part that's been missing from all of those Glock Torture Tests:

Leave it on the dash, under the sun, in the middle of the Death Valley,
and THEN run it over with a car.

it'll get smooshed
Old May 12, 2009, 01:54 PM   #11
scottaschultz

Quote:
This is just a general question, what are your feelings on leaving your handgun in a hot car for part of the day...
Well if I stole the car then I probably also stole the gun in which case I don't plan on keeping either one very long!

Sorry, I couldn't help it!

Scott
Old May 12, 2009, 02:52 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

I'd have no problems leaving my gun in a car on a hot day. A stolen car, I'd try to leave nothing including fingerprints.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:41 PM   #13
troy_mclure

as many here know, the sun in iraq gets guns and ammo so hot you cant touch it with out gloves on.

ive never heard of even black powder rounds lighting off from the sun.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 12, 2009, 04:49 PM   #14
texas bulldog

no problem whatsoever in the TX summer.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Nero45

A hot car?

what like this?:

Old May 12, 2009, 06:38 PM   #16
tblt44

My loaded 38 is in my car 24/7 365 days a year in the florida heat.No problems.I replace my ammo about once a year.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:31 PM   #17
inSight-NEO

I think the "heat" issue has been answered, so I will just add this: No loaded weapon should be left in an unattended vehicle, IMHO.

If possible, take the ammo and the gun with you. If this is not feasible, at least consider taking the ammo with you and temporarily storing the weapon in the trunk.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 12, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Nick-Mc

of course not a stolen car, I figured that joke would come up. Thanks for the responses guys. The ammo and gun would be stored serparately, I just wanted to make sure noone has experienced functioning problems under circumstances like this.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:33 PM   #19
glock06

The persistant heat does cause me to oil guns more frequently, especially 1911's and semiauto rifles.My guns don't shoot and cycle as well dry.

The ammo left in a hot car worries me because of issues of heat ?degrading the gunpowder. Maybe its no issue but I shoot my car ammo up about three times a year.

When not in public places I crack the window which lowers the heat inside signifigantly.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:41 PM   #20
sclay

Quote:
that's quite a part that's been missing from all of those Glock Torture Tests:

Leave it on the dash, under the sun, in the middle of the Death Valley,
and THEN run it over with a car.

it'll get smooshed
And I'll bet it still shoots every time you pull the trigger.

Keep a G 23 in my work truck 24/7 x 365 and treat it awfull, but it never complains what-so-ever.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:33 AM   #21
Mark Milton

Back in the 80s I saw a Raven .25 that partially melted after being left on the dashboard of an old Monte Carlo.

This is not an anecdote.
One of my cop buddies had seen other cheap zinc guns with the same problem.

Some of the RG revolvers would have cracked grips too and I have seen an HR revolver that wouldnt work and I did not know why for years. Later I found out they have a plastic tip on top of the mainspring in that model and I am guessing the plastic tip warped.

It can get up to 198 degrees inside a car on a hot day. In my old neighborhood I can recall seeing heat cause windshields to shatter, which is why I leave my window cracked and my vents open in my vehicle in the summer.
I don't know if thats enough to melt a modern glock or XD, but I have no doubt it will mess with the Zinc junkers still on the market.
You just cant make a good gun out of Zinc. Even smith and wesson tried and failed.

I knew a guy in law enforcement who moved to Florida and he sent me and another buddy pictures of a Glock once with a warped frame supposedly due to being left in a hot car.
I don't know if it was legit or not, but considering the 'soft' nature of the Glock polymer frame (compared to Rugers original polymer guns and the HKs with their fiberglass) it certainly could have been legit.

To be on the safe side I don't carry my Glock around in the summer for that reason though.

I wouldn't worry about an ammo cook off. However, ammo pressures can get high when ammo is stored in a hot place and ammo can lose velocity when stored in cold. We tested that one with a chronograph...
Old May 14, 2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Mello2u

The issues that come to my mind with leaving a gun in a car are:

1) security of the firearm and
2) degradation of the ammunition.

I would argue that a vehicle is not a desirable place to store a weapon. I am unable to find authoritative information, but I would guess that a significant percentage of firearms are stolen from vehicles. It is simple and quick to smash a window, search a vehicle and steal whatever is available. I think it would be prudent to invest in some device which would slow the thief.

Secondly, I would think that temperatures over 120 degrees Fahrenheit would accelerate the decay of the powder and/or the primer of the ammunition. Instead of a useful life on the order of decades it might be shortened to just a few years. No biggie if you shoot the ammo before it goes bad.
" Frederic Bastiat