The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 6, 2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Mike5150

Best POCKET carry 40 S&W Kahr pm40/Keltec P40/CA CARR/DA38

If you had to pocket carry a backup gun in .40 S&W all the time, what would you pick based on carriability and function? I've included a few of my choices with some info I've dug up on them.

I carry a Glock 22 IWB & Glock 27 on ankle on duty, off duty Glock 27 on Ankle, hip or smatcarry (shorts). I'd like to have an "always" gun in my right pocket. I have a S&W 649 that played that role, but I really want a .40S&W gun to keep all the same rounds and for increased power.

Here are the options I like strictly for pocket carry BUG:
KEY{H=height, L=Length, W=Width, WL=weight loaded in oz, B=Barrel}

Kahr PM40 (same size as PM9):
5+1 H 4 L 5.35 W 1.1 WL 23 B3

Seems a bit boxy for pocket carry, though very tiny and I like the sights (love night sights), very expensive.

Kel Tec P40 (same size as P11):
9+1 H4.23 L6.01 W1.14 WL22.4 B3.2
Discontinued, had problems cycling with "limp rist" in many users. I'm not too intimidated from having to get it to function properly, more interested in how it rides in the pocket. I like it's rounded shape for pocket carry, but don't know.

Charter Arms CARR .40 S&W
5 L6.75 WL25 B2.2 (B measured diff than semiautos, more like 3.7 for comparison)
Not yet released, but I'm patient. It's a Charter Arms Bulldog in .40 S&W. It's built on a frame slightly larger than J frame, shorter than a K frame Snub, same size as a colt Detective Special or Colt D frame Snub nose. I'm again interested in if any of these same sized guns works in a pocket.

slightly shorter barrel than their Normal Bulldog in 44spl shown below, and I'd put smaller grips on (called secret service grips) and make it "hammerless".

Last ditch/Hideout:
American Derringer DA-38 in .40 S&W
2 H3.30 L4.80 W1.10 WL15.6 B3.3
I really like the look of this gun (I know I'm alone in that). But I think it may be what I end up with. This is a BUG not primary. Downside is they want nearly the same price as a Kahr.
I'd put thinner grips on it, and as with any of these, use a pocket holster.

Downsizer
1 H2.25 L3.25 W0.9 WL11 B 2.1
I'd love a Downsizer in .40 (but not really available) Probably would cost me twice as much as a Kahr, easy.

I'd really appreciate insight on this as I've been pondering these options for a while.

Last edited by Mike5150; August 9, 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old September 11, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Mike5150

Really? Nobody has any of these?
Old September 11, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
headbangerJD

S&W Bodyguard

I carry this in a cheap pocket holster during the hot/humid summer months when I wear light clothing. It makes the pocket it is in bulge but still works great. I carry a speedloader in the opposite front pocket. As far as the Kahr goes I have a P40 and love this gun. Its not a pocket gun, but disappears in an IWB holster. Kahrs makes a very quality line of CCW pistols.
Old September 11, 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Wuchak

I'd go with the Kahr and get a good pocket holster with an antiprint panel. The antiprint panels make it look like a wallet or PDA or big iPod or phone, etc.

Revolvers, due to their lumpy profile don't print in a regular Mika pocket holster. This is due to the width of the cylinder keeping the fabric of the pants from pulling against the grips. Semi-autos are flatter in the pocket but because all surfaces can make contact with the pants fabric tend to always show the gun shaped profile of the grip. Even my P-3AT in a Nemisis holster prints worse than my SP101 or S&W 340 in a Mika. I use a holster with an antiprint panel now for the KT and it disappears.
Old September 11, 2009, 05:42 PM   #5
RNB65

Go with the Kahr P40 over the PM40. The PM is just too small. The P is large enough to get a good handhold on but still plenty small enough to pocket carry in a good pocket holster. I use a FIST kydex pocket holster with my P9 and it fits perfectly in everything from jeans to dress pants.

Last edited by RNB65; September 11, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:03 PM   #6
zombieslayer

had the 9mm version of the keltec, plenty reliable, but couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with it. the charter arms would be my choice from your list, but I'd choose a s&w 642
Old September 11, 2009, 06:23 PM   #7
soundreason

PM 45

You did not mention the Kahr PM 45. The best pocket gun hands down. Of course this is only my opinion (New $660 to $720). Just curious as to why it was left off your list.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
jgcoastie

Quote:
You did not mention the Kahr PM 45. The best pocket gun hands down. Of course this is only my opinion (New $660 to $720). Just curious as to why it was left off your list.
Ummm... Probably because he's looking for a .40S&W...

I hate it when people scan a post, looking only for indications of what they think the OP should use...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:48 PM   #9
ATW525

Kahr hands down.

I'm not even sure why you'd consider a pistol like the Kel-Tec P40 that has been discontinued for reliability issues. After all, if you need it, it's likely going to be because your life on the line. The same goes for one or two shot derringers... they just don't seem very practical.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:59 PM   #10
HellBillySuperstar

I had a Kahr CW40. I heard a lot about quality issues but never had a problem with mine or with any kind of ammo. The lack of a safety wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because of the two feet of trigger pull. Overall, I would say it was a pretty good little pistol for the price.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:34 PM   #11
Mike5150

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like Kahr is the recommended choice.

The Kel Tec's reliability issues was primarily user error, limp wrist issues. I inculded it for it's rounded form.

derringers can be reliable, just not for a third shot.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Wuchak

If you go with the Kahr PM40 you can get a pinky extension for the mag. It will add just enough to give you all three fingers on the grip without adding any extra bulk or size.
Old September 11, 2009, 11:17 PM   #13
CWPinSC

IMO, the Keltec P-40 is a nasty little POS. I had one and it was absolutely painful to shoot. After a mag I didn't want to shoot it any more that day. It was a great single shot semi. Even after the infamous "fluff 'n' buff, almost every round was a FTF, and the slide had to be slapped into battery. I was VERY happy when I sold it at a gun show for $250.

You couldn't get me to own another one for love or money.
Old September 12, 2009, 12:20 AM   #14
Wuchak

CWPinSC's experience with the P40 is why the stopped making them. The P11 platform was already pushing the envelope on size and weight for a 9mm. Going to 40 was too much as anything but a perfect grip and stiff wrist would result in jamming.
Old September 12, 2009, 09:35 AM   #15
jetman

I've owned and carried a PM9 and a PM40 as well as a Colt Cobra snubbie. While all 3 had their pluses/minuses I ended up selling them all for my Rohrbaugh R9S. They definitely aren't cheap but are VERY high quality pocket pistols. Mine is super accurate, with a smooth light trigger, and 100% reliable with every type round I've loaded in it. I never leave home without mine either in a custom pocket holster or IWB holster. I have to dress in business casual attire during the week and it disappears in my Dockers front pocket or my jeans back pocket on the evenings/weekends. It's virtually identical in size to the current popular .380 pistols these days but with the more powerful 9mm round. Just something different to think about. They aren't fun range pistols, but that isn't what they were designed to be. If you want a quality, dependable pocket pistol, it's the best I could find when I made the same search you are making...... unfortunately they aren't made in .40 so far.
They are 5.2"L x 3.7"H x .91"W, 6+1 capacity. 2.9" barrel, 17 oz. loaded weight

Last edited by jetman; September 12, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #16
Mike5150

GREAT comparison pics. Thanks for those. Amazing look next to the Ruger. I may have to change my '.40 only' idea with for that beauty.
Old September 13, 2009, 09:26 AM   #17
imthegrumpyone

I've got one of each, I call my Kel-Tek P40 my work carry and my Kahr .40 my casual or dress up gun, love both fine conceal pieces. Both are "bang bang" reliable guns to carry any time. Just wish I could do a trigger job on the Kel-Tec. I don't like the long pull, but it's fine once you get use to it.
Old September 14, 2009, 09:39 PM   #18
denfoote

Here's your solution.

My Kahr MK9 (same size as the MK40) in it's DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

The stainless version is better than the plastic.

It's a bit more massive, but you make up for it in reliability.

Yeah, that's my belly.
I don't wanna hear about it!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old September 17, 2009, 09:43 PM   #19
jfruser

I own several pocket carry guns, one of which happens to be a Kel-Tec P40 I have owned for years.

Current mods from stock (KT P40):
Polished feed ramp
Nickel plated slide
PT Night sights
Skatebpard grip tape
Belt Clip
What do I think about the KT P40?

Well, it is in my CCW rotation, for it has qualities that make it the best choice for particular circumstances.

It is a whole lotta pistol. It is ~14oz unloaded. With 180gr loads (not suggested...165gr or less is wiser) subjective recoil is greater than a SW640 (all stainless 25oz unloaded) stoked with hot 125gr .357mag pills. It has a L-O-N-G trigger pull that is stout. Did I mention the recoil?

On the upside, it is quite the accurate little package of dynamite. The trigger smooths up with 1000 dryfires. The PT night sites blow chunks as night sites, considering that they went dark in 3 years, but they are great iron sites and have a great sight picture. Toss in an inherently accurate pistol and, if you take your time to work the trigger, 9" paper plates at 25 yards are doomed, doomed when shooting off-hand.

Tips:
* If you are carrying it in the pocket, use the standard mag, no pinky grip extension. If in any other mode, use a mag with hte pinky grip extension.
* Skateboard grip tape is your friend
* Polish the feed ramp. Even if it is reliable stock, the P40 is at the edge of what is possible in a .40S&W pistol. Buy the "insurance" that some jeweler's rouge and the light, judicious application of a dermel felt bullet tip attachment.
* Belt clip is love/hate. I love it, as it allows me to slide a service-cartridge-chambered weapon into my waist band and walk out the door.
Would I buy it again?

Hmm, tough question. It started out a drama queen, but has matured into a reliable weapon with unique functionality. Thing is, I am not wedded to .40S&W. Frankly, I am not to fond of .40S&W. I am a .45ACP man at heart and if I go smaller, the 9mm seems more natural a jump.

I think the Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.htm) is the service-cartridge pocket auto standard all others seek to match (but none do). It has less recoil. It is flatter and lighter than all other small 9mm pistols, save maybe the Rohrbaugh. It can be had with a belt clip.

My pocket guns are listed below in ease of pocket carry, hardest to easiest. The P40 can be carried in a front pocket if the pocket is larger than usual. Think cargo pant/short pockets, not Levi 501 pockets.

Good luck on your hunt.

Oh, if you are in the DFW area, we can meet at a local range & you can shoot it. I can write it off as "networking."

Kel-Tec P-40 .40S&W Nickeled Slide

AMT DAO Backup .45ACP

Taurus 651SH2 .357mag

Beretta 21A .22LR

Kel-tec P32 .32ACP

Last edited by jfruser; September 17, 2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: one more thing....
Old September 17, 2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Ace_Breaker

I carry a Walther PPS .40 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The Walther is an awesome and accurate little handgun. It conceals much easier than the Glock 27 I used to have. I've had zero luck with Kahrs. The fit, finish, and all out quality on the Walther is much better in my opinion. Our rangemaster was consistantly hitting a 4" metal plate from the 40 yard line while standing with no support. Pretty amazing and proven to be reliable in a small carry size. It also has tenifer coating so has that durable Glock type finish.