The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 27, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

How Many Cartridges Have There Been, EVER?

Does anyone even have an fact-based guess?

I found a list that included roughly 375 cartridges, rifle only.

Obviously, there have been a couple few wildcats that no one even knows about except the inventor. The inventor may not have known after he pulled the trigger!

Anywho.... anyone got an fact-based guess?

Metallic cartridges, "english" and metric, rifle and handgun, smokeless and BP, etc, etc...

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Fixed it for the smart-arse mod ;-)
Old October 27, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Quote:
.... anyone got a guess?
Old October 27, 2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Let me fix that for ya Bud.
Old October 27, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, I have a number of fact based guesses...

In NRA's technical department cartridge collection and the accompanying database there were almost 2,000 distinct cartridges.

My Donnolly book of cartridge conversions lists probably better than 1,000 cartridges that can be made using other cartridges, pipe, etc.

There was also a book in NRA's technical library (I wish I had swiped it) that was simply a list of cartridges and their dimensions. The author had spent decades putting it together.

I seem to recall it was over 3,000 entries, but I may be wrong about that.

The problem is, there's way to put a meaningful number to it.

Every time I think I'm getting a handle on all of the different cartridges that are out there, I come across a dozen more I never knew existed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 27, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5
ZeroJunk

http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_specialorder.html

This is by no means all of them , but it will give you some idea of a lot of stuff that dies are available for.
Old October 27, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6
griz

Hard to pin down a specific number when it's hard to define when an idea becomes a cartridge. Does a 4 bore count? I'll bet all of them ever made wouldn't fill a closet, but I would count them. How about if somebody made a round, say a 300 Weatherby necked down to 14 cal, but never had a rifle made? I don't think I would count that. But I'll bet there are wildcats where there was only ever one or two rifles made for it.

So I'll say 2713 different cartridges. What do I win?
Old October 27, 2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Technosavant

One dollar!

Wait, wrong guess for this one...

If you're talking about all of them, ever, don't forget to include the old rimfire, pinfire, and similar obsolete designs that won't show up in any kind of reloading manual.

The surprising thing is that given all those different cartridges, how many (or few) of them seem to have stood the test of time. Not that the now defunct ones were bad, but that they may not have been that much better than others to chisel out a significant share of the market.
Old October 27, 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hard to pin down a specific number when it's hard to define when an idea becomes a cartridge. Does a 4 bore count?

I suppose a more specific definition may be in order.

For the purposes of this thread,

Shoulder-fired or hand held weapon, metallic case, not including grenade-type rounds should pretty well nail it down.... I think....
Old October 27, 2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Bud Helms

Okay then, 2712.

Or maybe 3481, 'not sure.
Old October 27, 2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Shoulder-fired or hand held weapon, metallic case,"

Do you include externally primed cartridges in that?

Like the Morse, Gallagher, Burnsides, Smith, etc?

How about cartridges for the Gardiner or Hotchkiss manual machine guns?

How about the cartridges for the Requa Battery Gun?

Or the French Millatreuse?

How about cartridges that used a metallic head, but a wound paper body? Like some of Hiram Berdan or Col. Edward Boxer's early efforts, which were adopted by various European states?

Or cartridges like the Chassepot or Dreyse needle gun rounds?

Or, for that matter, modern shotshells, which are generally paper or plastic, but at one time were often metallic?

Getting an idea for how difficult this can be?

Old October 27, 2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Holy smokes! You guys sure do ask a lot of questions!

Originally, I was thinking of just variations of the essential modern metallic cartridge. However, well, hell, I don't even know what half that crap you mentioned is, Mike! Somehow I don't think including or excluding them is going to effect the, ur, "accuracy" of any number we might come up with anyway. I kind of thought that there might actually be a list somewhere.

What got the question started was that I've known a few guys in my life that own(ed) several hundred guns at one time. So, I got to thinking that it would be pretty cool if you could say that you owned a gun for every cartridge ever made.

Alright, let's make it (a wee bit) easier, I think. How about this one:

"Enclosed", self contained, however you want to define that exactly, basically some version, whether modern or primitive, of the basic more or less modern metallic cartridge but not necessarily actually metallic but sold or available in reasonable quantities, at some point, within the USA whether commercially or as a relatively wide-spread wildcat.

How's that? Probably just opened a whole new can of worms.... right?
Old October 27, 2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Claude Clay

eleventy-seven

and i will have you know that i left
no ttone unsurned in finding that out
Old October 27, 2009, 03:19 PM   #13
BuckHammer

There are 87 cartridges.
Old October 27, 2009, 03:24 PM   #14
DWARREN123

A whole bunch!
Old October 27, 2009, 03:50 PM   #15
ZeroJunk

Let me know when you come up with a hard number. I will go in the shop and make another one.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:08 PM   #16
MTT TL

I can only prove that there are 100 because that is what is in the box I have in front of me.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:04 PM   #17
HammerBite

Quote:
"Enclosed", self contained, however you want to define that exactly, basically some version, whether modern or primitive, of the basic more or less modern metallic cartridge but not necessarily actually metallic but sold or available in reasonable quantities, at some point, within the USA whether commercially or as a relatively wide-spread wildcat.
I highlighted the weasel words. I don't think you narrowed the scope of the question very much.

In any case, the correct answer to any numerical question can always be approximated by "42" when that number is understood to be in an appropriate number base.

Last edited by HammerBite; October 27, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:15 PM   #18
Falcon5NZ

I have the definitive answer:

("Infinite" for those who forgot the useless bits of maths)
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!

Last edited by Falcon5NZ; October 27, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added clarification
Old October 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #19
HammerBite

I suppose that someone could count the index entries in Cartridges of the World, delete the redundant alternative names for identical cartridges and come up with a pretty good documented list.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:35 PM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

My Donnolly book?

Just guestimating from the index in the back...

Probably closer to 1,500 to 1,800 cartridges listed as being possible conversions.

And I know for a fact that there are many that are not listed in there, including all of the developments since the book was first published and my copy printed in the 1987.

"I suppose that someone could count the index entries in Cartridges of the World, delete the redundant alternative names for identical cartridges and come up with a pretty good documented list."

Uhm...

No. Not really.

I've always said that Cartridges of the World, while an incredibly valuable book, especially for beginners and generalists, should be called "The Not Very Complete At All List of Common Cartridges of the World."

Old October 27, 2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Know what?

I'm going to take some pictures of some REALLY interesting cartridges for you, Peet.

Some of them ought to blow your mind and totally alter your concept of what a cartridge is...

Old October 27, 2009, 08:48 PM   #22
Mello2u

Quote:
Mike Irwin
Know what?

I'm going to take some pictures of some REALLY interesting cartridges for you, Peet.

Some of them ought to blow your mind and totally alter your concept of what a cartridge is...
Mike do that!

Post lots of pictures.

We love pictures. Include something for scale with each cartridge.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 27, 2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Falcon5NZ

Are we including variations of cartridges like the M-1 Tracer, M-2 Ball, M-22 Frangible (all for .30-06)? If so this list is gonna get real big real fast.

Nick
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old October 28, 2009, 10:35 AM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are we including variations of cartridges like the M-1 Tracer, M-2 Ball, M-22 Frangible (all for .30-06)? If so this list is gonna get real big real fast.
No, as a matter of fact, I personally would count based on the standardized outside and inside case dimensions. There may be a few exceptions that might be best counted separate from each other but inside and outside case dimensions should pretty well eliminate questions of variation within a cartridge. So, 30-06 would be one, even though there are god only knows how many versions while 5.56 and 223 would be two. Who knows, maybe that doesn't even work.

If that didn't work, and for the exceptions to the rule, I would appoint Mr. Mike Irwin as the Illustrious Cartridge Differentiator Czar. He could make those decisions for us all, and cut the salaries of any cartridge that refused to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin

That would be cool. Please do.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:58 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

Couldn't get it done last night, and tonight if the first game of the World Series, and I want to see my Phillies beat the hell out of the Yankees, so probably not tonight, either.