The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Review: Magpul MS2 Sling on AR15

Much like my box of holsters, I am building a good sized "Box o' slings" from different slings that didn't quite meet my needs for whatever reason. Out of that box of slings, I had come down to two basic types:

1. The quick-adjust two-point tactical sling - best typified by the Vickers VCAS and Viking VTAC slings.

2. The single point sling - typified by the Specter Gear MOUT sling in my box.

Both of these had things I liked. The two-point held the rifle more securely, could be used for hasty sling support if necessary, and was better at carrying the rifle if I needed both hands free. The quick adjust also meant I could switch to the support side, although I was limited in my motion and it usually meant having the sling strap pressed tight against my neck like a bizarre tie.

On the VTAC (first-generation), you pulled down and forward to release the extra slack. On the VCAS, you grabbed and pulled up towards your armpit with your offhand. Of the two, the VTAC was the more natural movement; but it accomplished this by leaving a long tail of slack sling dangling (the newer VTACs do not do this however). The VCAS movement was less easy to do; but didn't have any "tail." Both slings required a manly pull on the sling in order to release the slack.

On the Specter Gear, I liked that I could easily release the sling from the weapon for competition (although now that I have all quick release sling mounts, that is a moot point). I also liked the great flexibility as far as being able to switch sides quickly and effectively. On the downside, it wasn't very practical to carry it with both hands free and you had to worry about dropping the muzzle into the deck if you took a knee or bent over.

So when Magpul announced the MS2 sling that acted as both a two-point quick adjust tactical sling AND a single-point sling, I was interested to say the least. Unfortunately, with all of the Obamania, actually getting my hands on one was a bit of a challenge.

I finally was able to purchase one and I can say it was definitely worth the wait. The first thing I noticed about the MS2 was that in two-point mode, it was easier to adjust than the VCAS or VTAC. The sling is made out of a silky, almost pajama-like material and grabbing the sling tab and adjusting was much easier. In addition, the MS2 adjusts like the VTAC (pull down and forward to release slack) which I also liked.

In two point mode, the rifle can be carried forward or quickly slung to the rear to give you both hands free.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two point.jpg (76.1 KB, 2298 views)
File Type: jpg Full Sling.jpg (159.0 KB, 3262 views)
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (191.9 KB, 2298 views)
Old January 8, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

The MS2 sling attached in the rear with a specially designed shackle that is designed to be used in conjunction with the Magpul ASAP receiver mounted ambidextrous sling attachment point.

Unfortunately, this is incompatible with the Magpul UBR, which is what I have as a stock. Luckily, the MS2 is still plenty effective without the ASAP and the shackle attaches neatly to the QD ring in the UBR stock. The sling can be detached either by hitting the QR button on the sling loop or pulling the lanyard to release the shackle.

In the front, the sling attaches via an alligator clip looking snap that is similar to an HK snap; but wider. I have mine attached to the rear of the rail and the front of the upper receiver because with the VCAS, this position made it easier to put slack (and put more slack) in the sling while keeping the rifle close to the body when tight. I'm not sure if it is as necessary with the MS2; but I was too lazy to pull all the stuff off the rail to try it in a different location.

The adjustment buckle is a very simple affair and eliminates the "tail" of the VTAC sling while retaining the more natural motion. In addition, the "silky" sling material makes adjustment much easier than the rougher cotton material on the VCAS.

The only downside is that the sling, although it is the same width as the VCAS, "feels" narrower, as though the weight is concentrated on a more narrow region of the sling than the actual width.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lanyrad Shackle.jpg (75.0 KB, 2270 views)
File Type: jpg Front Sling.jpg (71.4 KB, 2272 views)
File Type: jpg Adjustment Buckle.jpg (84.5 KB, 2261 views)
Old January 8, 2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Although the front snap shackle may look a subject to coming loose with harder use at first, it actually has a locking device on it.

Here you can see the snap shackle with the lock activated and with the lock deactivated:

Locked:

Unlocked:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Locked.jpg (39.5 KB, 2243 views)
File Type: jpg Unlocked.jpg (43.0 KB, 2246 views)
Old January 8, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Transition from quick-adjust two-point tactical sling to single-point sling is quiclk and easy enough that you can easily move back and forth in a few seconds (although a fixed, non-rotating loop makes moving back to two-point much easier than my rotating, flopping QD loop).

In order to transition to single-point sling, you first reach down and unlock the front snap shackle and release it:

You then snap the front snap shackle onto the ring included on the sling for this purpose:

Voila! Single-point sling:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transition 1.jpg (179.6 KB, 2274 views)
File Type: jpg Transition 2.jpg (134.3 KB, 2255 views)
File Type: jpg Single Point.jpg (174.2 KB, 2257 views)