The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2001, 02:25 PM   #1
Sport45

I bought some WW-296 to try a slower powder in my 7.5" SBH. Trouble is, I got home and found that Winchester doesn't list load data for the 210gr JHP bullet. (I have at least a thousand of 'em) My LEE manual says to use data for the next higher weight in this case, but I've heard you should never reduce loads of 296. Would you recommend 24 grains which Winchester specifies for 240 grain jacketed bullets, or 27 grains, which is listed in my LEE manual as the load for H-110 (supposedly the same powder)? Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 6, 2001, 02:41 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

110 and 296 are NOT the same powder. They're just different enough that you could get into trouble.

I'm assuming that you're shooting a .44 Mag., correct?

Let me check and see if my manuals have anything on this.
Old January 7, 2001, 10:27 AM   #3
Timothy

Check a Sierra manual......if you're loading 44Mag they show a 296 load for 210 gr. JHC (hollow cavity, not hollow point)
Old January 7, 2001, 10:51 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Actually Mike, W296 and H110 are the same powder. They are both made by Primex Technologies as are almost all Ball powders. Both powders are made the same in the same batches and shipped to both Winchester and Hodgdon for packaging. The only difference is the can you buy them in. The differences you will notice in the reloading manuals comes from small differences in testing procedures, chronographing, pressure testing, barrel lengths, etc., etc.

That said, it is still a very wise procedure to reduce a load 10% when changing any component. However with the known nature of W296 and H110 to cause problems when reduced, the reduction figure is 3%. Also, I still think it is wise to stick to loads stated for each specific powder if at all possible. Not all reloading data is totally interchangable for the two powders even if they are the same due to the factors stated above.
Old January 7, 2001, 11:03 AM   #5
Sport45

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, it is a .44mag. I will trty to find a Sierra manual (hopefully online) to get a published load. The Winchester manual states that 296 is sensitive to load density. I don't have any 240 grain bullets left to compare the distance from the base to the cannelure. If it was the same for 240 vs 210, I'd probably just use the 240gr load data.
Old January 7, 2001, 02:18 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mal,

Are you sure about that? As far as I know, the Winchester and Hodgdon powders have the same base composition, it's the deterrent coatings that are plated on in final operation that makes the difference. The formulations are slightly different.
Old January 7, 2001, 07:19 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Mike, I really can't say I'm positive that the two powders are identical. But I talked with a rep from Winchester about their ball powders about a year ago and he said they were the same. A carload of a particular batch was sent to Hodgdon and another carload of the same batch was sent to WW. Primex was previously owned by Olin which owned or was owned by WW, not sure which way it was.

Looking at Speer #12 and the .44 Mag pages, the results of both H110 and W296 are statistically the same. I see that they occassionally use 1/2 grain more H110 than W296, but they also get a little more velocity from that 1/2 grain which would be expected if the powders were very similar. The data for the 300 gr. SP shows a 2 fps difference at the min load, the max velocity is identical.
Old September 18, 2001, 01:22 AM   #8
KilgorII

Have used 25 gr. H110 w/ 210 gr. Sierra JHC and CCI LMP. Gave 1836 fps in a 16" barreled carbine. No pressure signs seen and extraction easy.

Kinda late

Kilgor

Old September 18, 2001, 04:23 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

WEIGHING IN

Even if they are the exact same powders your lots will vary, as will your specific guns.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND NEVER EVER treating H110 and W296 as "same". This is based on actual testing; significant performance differences can occur with as littla as .5g change!

PS they look different (try 10X) and smell different - suspect coating
Old September 18, 2001, 01:06 PM   #10
sricciardelli

It would have been nice to know what caliber you are reloading.

As for the two powders being identical, they are not...

Suggest you go to my reloading data page...