The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2001, 12:27 PM   #1
Lance

Hello, I am looking for a little free advice.
I just bought a P32 used, and have shoot 25 rounds.
10 rounds of Winchester 32 Auto, 71gr FMJ, target ammo, worked great.
15 rounds of CCI Blazer 32 Auto, 71gr TMJ, Aluminum case,
and at least 5 rounds didn't fire, some took over 5 strikes to fire.
Should I install a new fireing pin, or hammer spring? or should I send it to the factory for repair?
I would like it to be as reliable as my P89 Ruger.
Thanks for any suggestions, Lance
Old February 4, 2001, 02:06 PM   #2
alamo

I believe newer P-32s have a stronger hammer spring. Call KT to see about getting one & any suggestions they may have. Also see http://www.ktog.org
The "tec werks" link has some instructions on cleaning out the firing pin channel which will help with light strikes.
Good luck!
Old February 4, 2001, 07:10 PM   #3
johnwill

I use CCI primers for reloading, and they're one of the harder primers around. I second the opinion that you should contact Keltec and see what they say...
Old February 5, 2001, 08:55 AM   #4
oweno

Hi Lance,

I had the same problem with my P-32 when new. I called the factory and they said to back off on the allen-screw that holds the firing pin in. I did this, no change.

Next, they sent me a new firing pin, I replaced it, still no change.

Next, I sent it back to the factory and whatever they did to it, it's now 100% reliable. Also, they paid shipping both ways but mine was brand new so they may not do that on youe used one?

Anyway, I think that your best bet is to call the factory and ask for advice.

good luck, let us know how you make out.

Owen
Old February 5, 2001, 03:32 PM   #5
treeprof

I had very poor luck early on with the Blazers with my P32, and do not shoot them anymore. However, my P32 got so that it light striked about 1/3 of the time, regardless of ammo. The problem was excess wear on top of the breech end of the barrel where it locks up with the slide, and it wouldn't go fully into battery. It actually rode-up against the breech face of the slide. (FWIW, I never shot +P loads and only shot it abt 250 times before it went back for repair). If you're getting light, off-center primer strikes this may be your problem. I sent mine to KelTec, and in 5 DAYS it was back in my hands with a new barrel and slide. I have no complaints with their service, and my P32 functions perfectly now. Mine was a low 19,000 serial #, and there was a huge difference in fit and finish between it and my wife's, which is around 20,000. I was also told 2nd hand that you need to fully let off the trigger between pulls to ensure full-strength strikes, not just enuf to let it reset. It helped whith some of my early problems (which did not all appear to be lock-up related), but I never verified this with KelTec.
Old February 5, 2001, 10:57 PM   #6
sox

Which had the better fit and finish yours or wifey? Can you elaborate.
Old February 6, 2001, 10:51 AM   #7
treeprof

sox - Hers was MUCH better finished. No need to do the standard P32 fluff-buff: the feed ramp and breech face were both polished; no rough machine marks around the outer edge of chamber; no machine marks inside chamber; the machine marks inside the slide were very minor; the extractor did not have sharp edges on the portion that slides over the rim on round being chambered that inhibited proper feeding like mine did, no metal "burrs" built up on front lock-up area of breech after firing (excuse my terminology - I mean portion of the barrel where the top, front edge of the ejector port in the slide rides up over it during recoil) like mine had done; that kind of thing.

I have heard previously that around the 20,000 serial # mark, KelTec made some changes to the manufacturing process to improve the gun, and it seems to have been the case. I was especially concerned about the excessive wear on the lock-up portion of the barrel - no way that metal should have been so soft that it was wearing to the point that I had to take the Dremmel and grind the burrs off at <150 rounds so it would cycle correctly. The new barrel and slide seem much better in every respect and it functions flawlessly.

Before I got it fixed, I had stopped carrying it at all in favor of my S&W 642 because of the reliability issue (and I prefer .38 over .32), but I have started carrying it again when high concealability is a major concern now that it works properly.

[Edited by treeprof on 02-07-2001 at 04:25 PM]
Old February 13, 2001, 07:41 AM   #8
Lance

Update

Hi all, thanks for the responses.
I got a letter from Kel-Tec, and they advised to NOT use Blazer, that is the one ammo they reccommend not to use.
They invited me to send it in, and have it checked and up-dated, but didn't say what updated consists of.
The wife shot 40 rounds of Winchester target ammo this weekend, and it performed flawlessly.
Anybody wanna buy a 3/4 box of Blazers? :-)
Take Care, Lance
Old February 20, 2001, 06:45 PM   #9
Lance

Got it back from Kel-Tec

Hi all,
I received the P-32 back from Kel-Tec today, they polished the feed ramp, and updated it internally, (new springs, ect.
All for no charge, exceptionally above and beyond customer service.
I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Keep in mind, I bought this gun used.
Thanks Kel-Tec, Lance