The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 7, 2024, 03:28 PM   #1
jmhyer

New 336

Managed to find a new Marlin 336 SBL in 30-30. I've been wanting a 30-30 lever gun for a long time.

In my opinion, these rifles are beautiful. The fit and finish are superb. I debated a scope and decided in favor because my eyes are older and open sights just don't work well for me any more. So, I put a Leupold 2-7x33 on it.

A word to anyone who is wondering... The rear ghost/peep will need to be removed for scope mounting purposes. Then, you would think low rings would work, but think again. Even though my objective bell isn't very large, if it's at all bigger than the tube diameter, you will need medium rings. If you have an AR-type scope where the objective end is the same size as the tube itself, then low rings will work.

I went out to shoot it for the first time yesterday and to do some preliminary sighting in of the scope. Accuracy seems to be good. It put 5 shots in the same hole at 25 yards. I didn't have room where I was shooting to get out to 100 yards, but I'm optimistic that it will be at least "minute-of-meat" out to 175 yards, which I will probably set as my personal limit for deer hunting purposes.

It cycled smoothly and I had no malfunctions with 20-30 rounds fired.

I'm thinking of replacing the trigger with one from Ranger Point Precision. I don't want to mess around with a lighter hammer spring. Does anyone, per chance, have any experience with these triggers? I don't care about the trigger dangle/flop, but I would like to bring the trigger weight from where it is now (I'm guessing 6-7 lbs) down to the advertised 3-3.5 lbs.

Thanks.

Last edited by jmhyer; May 8, 2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 7, 2024, 04:00 PM   #2
Straitshot

Congratulations, photos would be nice. I have the Marlin/Ruger SBL and Trapper in the 1895 and love them.
Old May 7, 2024, 04:32 PM   #3
jmhyer

Hope this works…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gKjeYTQd64NWNmKTA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k9tucT1pK33CnQnG7
Old May 7, 2024, 06:04 PM   #4
The Verminator

Hey, you have a great rifle there.

If that's your best option for a scope you can get a good looking leather riser for the stock to hold a few rounds of ammo and get your eye in the right place.

I have a Model 94 Winchester with a Marbles peep sight or I'd still be in the market for a 336.

You have done well to find a new one.
Old May 7, 2024, 07:03 PM   #5
jmr40

It's good to hear they are making them again and the quality is there. I "PREFER" iron sights on a traditional lever gun, but the fact is that optics do everything better. And if you're going to scope one keeping the scope on the small side is the way to go. Looks good.

Winston Churchill
Old May 8, 2024, 01:10 AM   #6
stagpanther

Looks like the Ruglin did it right, very nice looking rifle with modern-update look.
Old May 8, 2024, 09:46 AM   #7
hammie

@jmhyer: Beautiful rifle! I really envy you. The problem for many of us is the MSRP of 1529 $. Given the demand and limited availability, I imagine they're not discounting those rifles very much. Moreover, a comparable Henry has a nearly 1300 $ MSRP. Yikes. My mind is still calibrated for 30 cent per gallon gasoline. I guess this is the new normal.
Old May 8, 2024, 04:02 PM   #8
jmhyer

I hear you, hammie. I have NEVER paid MSRP for a new firearm. I did this time, but never plan to do it again. I just wanted this one so badly, when I was able to locate one, I pulled the trigger. And you are correct, that nobody is discounting them yet, I presume due to limited availability and high demand.

As to my question about the Ranger Point Precision trigger...
I can do the install. But, before purchasing, I was wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts?
Old May 8, 2024, 04:11 PM   #9
georgehwbush

nice gun, i would probably consider a romeo+juliet combo from sig for that rig. just me, but you might look at them.

i like scopes too, i have seven of them.
Old May 10, 2024, 08:20 PM   #10
krunchnik

Nice looking rifle-
Old May 12, 2024, 02:50 PM   #11
hammie

@jmhyer: Ya know...if the mortgage payment is made, there is food on the table, the kids have shoes, and you're providing for your future, then you don't need to explain to anyone or justify spending discretionary income. Buy the darn thing and enjoy it. Life is too short to do otherwise.

No experience with the ranger point trigger, but I do have thoughts. In the past I've installed their oversize levers, and have their receiver (peep) sight installed on a henry .357. I like their receiver sight better than the skinner, because it seems to be more protected and I didn't have to install a higher front sight. Anyway, everything was high quality. I did watch an installation video and a review video for the trigger. The reviewer said that the ranger point trigger vastly improved the pull and eliminated the flop. My thoughts are: I think I'll get one for my 1894 marlin, 32-20. For 99 bucks, why not? Think I'll get gold. Thanks for alerting me.

Last edited by hammie; May 12, 2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old May 12, 2024, 03:25 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
My mind is still calibrated for 30 cent per gallon gasoline.
In 1974 the msrp for a Marlin 336 was $115.

Blued metal, walnut stock, no checkering, no big loop lever, no push button safety, and no rail covering half of the top of the gun.

A few changes in the past 50 years.
Old May 12, 2024, 03:26 PM   #13
2damnold4this

That's a great looking rifle and I'm glad it shoots well for you. I look at it and imagine stalking a whitetail buck in a light snow or drizzle.

I have no experience with the trigger that you are asking about but I would be very interested to know what you think of it should you decide to get it.
Old May 13, 2024, 04:48 AM   #14
Pumpkin

I have a 74 vintage 336, lovely old rifle!

Rugers commitment to their new Marlin makes me very happy, although being a fan of the more traditional standard lever, non-threaded barrel models I do think this new 336 is a nice looking rifle.
The rail would go over the back fence though

Makes me wonder what’s next, 39, 1894 22mag, 30 Carbine Levermatic!
The future looks bright for Marlin fans.
Old May 13, 2024, 09:25 PM   #15
jmhyer

So, I picked up the Ranger Point Precision trigger. Got 10% off when I signed up for emails. With tax and shipping, that knocked the cost down to $96.

Installed it last night. Went smoothly. Just watch the video and it takes you through the process, step-by-step. I just got the trigger/sear combo. Didn’t wanna take any chances with a lighter hammer spring.

I’ve gotta say, I’m impressed with the results. The break is very crisp and, though I don’t have a trigger gauge, I’d guess the pull is now down around 3 lbs…easily feels half of what the stock trigger pull was.

So, all-in-all, I remain extremely happy with my purchase.
Old May 16, 2024, 05:43 PM   #16
jmhyer

Just a quick follow up…

I took the new 336 out yesterday with the newly installed Ranger Point Precision trigger and the Leupold 2-7x33 scope. Shot a 1-inch group at 100 yards with Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain ammunition.

Needless to say, I’m extremely pleased with the whole set up. Ruger definitely got this one right.
Old May 16, 2024, 06:17 PM   #17
2damnold4this

Thanks for the update! Nice shooting!
Old May 16, 2024, 07:00 PM   #18
The Verminator

Although.........I am quite happy with my Pre-64 Model 94 Winchester.

Over the years the trigger pull has morphed to a good level.

The old aperture sight has served me well.

No criticism......but there are other ways to a good lever action 30-30.
Old May 19, 2024, 08:15 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

As best as I can tell, there are essentially 3 different .30-30 lever guns, Winchester, and Marlin variants and pre WWII Savage 99s.

In current production, and the overwhelming majority on the used market are versions of the Win 94 or the Marlin 336, and are, or were made by several different companies over the years.

Minor features vary, but essentially those designs are what you can get. I am not personally familiar with the Henry rifles but the loading gate models dang sure look like Marlins on the outside.
Old May 20, 2024, 01:45 AM   #20
Pumpkin

Along with the new S&W, Rossi and the old Mossberg 472, except for the trigger that moved with the lever.
Marlin should be flattered.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #21
Rifletom

Henry also makes a 30-30.