The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old August 15, 2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Rojoe67

protest near Bush farm....

I am sure most everyone has heard and seen this protest in the news. It started as the lady who lost her son in Iraq decided to go down to Texas. She demands to speak to President Bush. She wants the U.S. out of Iraq and now has a growing list of wants....
News media reports that over the weekend as the crowd continued to grow things got a little interesting. A close neighbor of the Bush ranch decided to do a little shotgun training (practice for dove's ) He did talk to the media and stated he was within his rights and also explained he put up with it but now he has grown a little tired of the growing party on his property line. The local law stated the neighbor was within his legal rights to practice on his land. I guess the Secret Service boys were a little nerved up. I was glad to see they left his land (no dought after a stern talking to - ) I hope he continues his practice. If it were me I would exercise my rights in this way: I would set up at least 3 practice times each day. As soon as sunrise and safe shooting could take place. Maybe around lunch or when I could see the media trying to set up a press meeting. My last practice would be the last 30 minutes of legal light. I might go a step farther and set up a set of lights and increase my shooting time. If no noise restrictions were in place and it was legal? I might have to have a few practice times around 1 and 4 AM.
When thinking of one other way to make my property line less comfortable for those tenters and campers I came up with a very stinking idea: I would go to the local hunters supply store and buy as much skunk and fox scent as I could. I would dump all contents into a 2 gallon pump spray pack. I would put on a cheap rain suit and boots. Put my gas mask on and get to work on those fence lines............... I bet the entire group would be relocated very quickly........ I think this idea is the best and most legal way to handle a party that forgot to go home....... Anyone have a good plan?
Old August 15, 2005, 06:58 AM   #2
jeff_troop

i hear ya. she is a disgrace to her sons memory. :barf:

i wish texas twister would drop in the middle of them.
Old August 15, 2005, 07:00 AM   #3
Benonymous

Bush's neigbour.............Hero!

Yeah! He should go out and shoot that grieving mother in the face with his shotgun. What a HERO!! Gee, she's only excersising her right to free speech isn't she. The Shrub could do with every mother of every boy and girl killed in his oil war, swarming all over the public land around his ranch/fortress.

It's pretty obvious that nobody in the current administration has got the bal$$ to stand and talk with this woman in front of a camera. How could they keep a straight face? The BS that has justified the action in Iraq must be the biggest joke in the Whitehouse. Oh its (s[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]) the WMD's, we needed regime change (snort!) we must fight the terrorists in their (eep!) country so we dont have to fight them here (hrrrrp!).

Sorry, got to go and fire my .308 over the head of a guy parked outside my house....he's been there for at leat a minute......
Old August 15, 2005, 07:00 AM   #4
Ohio Annie

spectator.org coverage

There is interesting reader mail today in the american spectator about this woman. www.spectator.org, letters titled "everyone knows it's cindy." i agree, among other things, with the letter that she needs grief counseling immediately.
Old August 15, 2005, 07:09 AM   #5
wingman

We must remember we have become a society that wants to blame someone for our problems.............
Old August 15, 2005, 07:30 AM   #6
johnbt

Let's see, how about a few facts to add to the discussion.

1. She already met with the President, along with other military families.

2. She was anti-war BEFORE her son went overseas.

Her 15 minutes of fame are up.

John

P.S. - Benonymous - You trolling for trouble or just having a bad day? Who said anything about shooting people in the face?
Old August 15, 2005, 07:35 AM   #7
kennybs plbg

"It's pretty obvious that nobody in the current administration has got the bal$$ to stand and talk with this woman in front of a camera."

Umm, actually they were there the first day, she wants only Pres. Bush.

But it felt good to say right? Facts don't really matter do they?

kenny b
Old August 15, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
buzz_knox

Quote:
But it felt good to say right? Facts don't really matter do they?
Facts are irrelevant in the face of righteous indignation, didn't you know that? They just get in the way.
Old August 15, 2005, 07:58 AM   #9
Eghad

Hrmmm...

last time I looked this was America and folks do have the right to protest.

She lost a son in the war....as far as I am concerned she can stand wherever she wants to if shes not trespassing. I am sure that when Bush met with the military families he gave his usual message and very little answers to the families. As far as I am concerned there are a lot of unanswered questions this Administration needs to answer about Iraq.

without the right to assemble and protest and free speech where would our second amendment rights be? its a all or none proposition we cant just approve of rights for a few. You may not agree with them but thats the price you pay for your rights.

As for the shotgun guy....... I think hes an idiot IMO and sad to know that he is a Texan.
Old August 15, 2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Ohio Annie

if you are unsure of trolling the "find other posts by..." feature helps.
Old August 15, 2005, 10:59 AM   #11
Eghad

Heck, I might ride over and join her this weekend. I got some questions I want answers too about this war.
Old August 15, 2005, 11:18 AM   #12
Ingram

What if the president just met with her? Privately in his home, no media, or something like that. Do you think this would stop??

Cause this is just a bunch of BS. I would just talk to her and try to placate the situation..... but who knows if she will really stop when she does talk to him.
Old August 15, 2005, 11:33 AM   #13
Trip20

I wonder if her son appreciates his mothers actions. God rest soul.

Pray for him, and pray that his mother finds peace.

I don't have a problem with disagreeing with the war, or the administration et al. I do think it's a tad despicable for people to use the death of a brave and honorable soldier, as fuel for their political agenda. Especially when it's an agenda with which the soldier more than likely did not agree.

Look at all the people/groups/orgs that are jumping on to this story and riding the Bush-Hater wave all the way to shore. :barf:

Edited for grammer/spelling.

Last edited by Trip20; August 15, 2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old August 15, 2005, 12:07 PM   #14
garrettwc

I caught this on the news the other night.

Loved the neighbor. Some reporter dweeb asked him after the SS left about shooting the gun. His reply was something to the effect of "Are you nuts? This is Texas! Everybody does this!" Gotta love him.

As for Ms. Sheehan, from what I have read her political activisim is well known, and her ever growing list of "demands" is textbook.
Old August 15, 2005, 01:06 PM   #15
johnbt

"as far as I am concerned she can stand wherever she wants to if shes not trespassing."

Of course. And I don't think most of us here disagree on that one bit. We're just discussing a few things about her, ulterior motives as it were, such as her involvement in the anti-war movement PRIOR to her son's death. Oh, and the small fact that she has already met with the President.

Man, I can't believe the long list of groups she's is affiliated with - the commies and the whole nine yards. Yup, a free country - - - or we couldn't talk about her.

John

P.S. - I think I need to do me a little troll researching. Thanks for the tip.

Edited to add: So before I do a response to "Gee, she's only excersising her right to free speech isn't she.", I do a little research and he's preaching about American rights from Australia. Everybody is an expert it seems. Oh well. It's only the Internet. Good thing it's not real.
Old August 15, 2005, 01:27 PM   #16
Wildcard

Quote:
As for the shotgun guy....... I think hes an idiot IMO and sad to know that he is a Texan.

An idiot for shooting on his OWN property. NOT violating ANY law. He is a Texan, and a damn fine one.

As far as the mother:

Her son was on, IIRC, his 2nd tour in Iraq.
Her son had been in the army for a while.
He enlisted for the army, was not drafted.
Bush met with her once, I dont see the need for him to do it again. If he did, the mother would be a dummy, with all the wires controlled by Michael Moore. :barf:
Old August 15, 2005, 02:12 PM   #17
Eghad

My vote is for idiot....

anybody who just decides to shoot a gun up in the air just because hes peeved is an idiot. Yes he was on his own land and he gave the reporter the *wink* *wink* on why he did it because he was peeved. What if your nieghbor decided he was peeved and shot a gun up in the air? Firearms are for self defense not expressing ones personal opinion.... idiot I say. I guess anytime we are peeved or angry we should grab a gun and shoot it in the air...

great represenative for gun owners.......

We dont know what her son would say. She has a right to be affiliated with any organization she chooses. She has a right to demand an answer form the President of the United States. We seem to have put the cart before the horse. Politicians are elected public servants not rulers. They are answerable to the citizenry of this country.

I wasnt present when he talked to those families. So I dont know what questions she asked or what Questions president Bush answered. If she feels her questions were brushed aside she has a right to demand an answer. Where I was raised we treated a lady or wife with respect if she lost her husband or son to war and didnt denigrate her because of her politics. I dont see eyeball to eyeball on her with Iraq but I will defend her right to protest.
Old August 15, 2005, 02:48 PM   #18
ForksLaPush

You agree with her so she's ok in your book as long as she doesn't trespass.
You disagree with the neighbor so he's an idiot, even if he was within his rights. Think it through and find the true idiot.
Old August 15, 2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eghad
I dont see eyeball to eyeball on her with Iraq
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...&postcount=199

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...&postcount=203

Yeah, OK

There are plenty more where that came from... Along with multiple Bush administration bashing posts... Your agenda is quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhad
She has a right to be affiliated with any organization she chooses. She has a right to demand an answer form the President of the United States.
Look, no one is saying she doesn't have a "right to ____." This has been stated already.

The point is, now it appears she's doing this for political reasons, not the tear-jerking "mourning Mom" reason they want us to believe.

The media, and Bush/Iraq war haters are jumping on the band waggon with this one. It's disgusting how the death of a soldier who died for his country is being exploited.

So, go join her (read: exploit her son's death) in the name of "our right to question big brother" if it makes you feel better.

You weren't so ready to run to the Texas ranch prior to this band wagon coming along - there's plenty of seating available it does appear.
Old August 15, 2005, 02:59 PM   #20
sendec

The gun stunt just seems low-rent and as much of a publicity stunt as anything. What did it accomplish? Just cause you can do something does'nt mean you should or that it is a good idea.

I disagree with the lady's politics, but I cannot possibly imagine the anguish she must feel over the loss of her son.
Old August 15, 2005, 03:34 PM   #21
tulsamal

I think this is the primary point:

Quote:
I don't have a problem with disagreeing with the war, or the administration et al. I do think it's a tad despicable for people to use the death of a brave and honorable soldier, as fuel for their political agenda. Especially when it's an agenda with which the soldier more than likely did not agree.
Old August 15, 2005, 03:42 PM   #22
jeff_troop

Quote:
The gun stunt just seems low-rent and as much of a publicity stunt as anything. What did it accomplish? Just cause you can do something does'nt mean you should or that it is a good idea.

perhaps you should be applying this moral judgement to the mother instead
Old August 15, 2005, 04:13 PM   #23
DOCSpanky

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

Was that troll bait I just saw go flashing by??????

JEEZ, if they are both within their rights, then how can either of them be wrong???

Sounds like a liberal in hiding here,........

........"Your free speech is only right if your thinking the way some people, eghad & ben...ohwhathehell, are thinking"...........

Are you sure your not my senior English teacher?, she had that "your opinion is only right if it matches my opinion" outlook!

that is what it sounds like those misguided few are saying!

GOD BLESS TEXAS, GOD BLESS THE MEMORY OF A FALLEN HERO, AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Send her to Tennessee and I'll have a little practice on my land as well!

DOC
Old August 15, 2005, 06:18 PM   #24
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Yeah! He should go out and shoot...
We don't advocate violence here even if we are trying to make a sarcastic point. Just because they do it at the DU site and at the MTV site doesn't mean it is right.

One thing we need to remember is that the neighbor has a ranch of several hundred acres and it is common and acceptable to practice with firearms on one's own property. If it was in good taste to do so last month with the protestors weren't there it is equally so to do now. Political statements should not be made in the backyards of innocent bystanders.
Old August 15, 2005, 06:33 PM   #25
telewinz

Quote:
We must remember we have become a society that wants to blame someone for our problems
In this case she is trying to look the cause of her "problem" eyeball to eyeball... Bush! If I had the time and the money, I'd join her and shoot some clay pigeons with Bush's neighbor to boot! If we wait for Bush to end this war at his speed (he's kind of slow don't you know) it will cost hundreds more American lives all for the same result. :barf: