The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 19, 2002, 12:23 PM   #1
billstclair

Which trigger for Savage 111

I have a Savage 111 in 30-06 caliber. I love the rifle, but the trigger pull is way too heavy. I've decided to get a lighter trigger.

Right now, the two I know of are Timney and Sharpshooters Supply (bottom of page).

Does anyone have experience with these triggers? Which one do you like better? Is there a better choice for around the same price (< $100)?
Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission. -- L. Neil Smith
Old June 19, 2002, 03:22 PM   #2
ks_shooter

I have had a SSS trigger in my Model 11 .243 for a year and a half and really like it. Simple install. Easy to adjust. You might also consider the Rifle Basix replacement trigger. The Rifle Basix trigger is simpler, but I think the SSS trigger has a better design that will give more consistent low-end trigger pull.

Aim Small, Miss Small
Old June 19, 2002, 03:24 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Sharp Shooter Supply now makes two trigger sets, one from 12-24 ounces, one from about 2-4 lbs. For a hunting rifle get the latter.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old June 19, 2002, 04:43 PM   #4
Sisco

Why don't you just adjust your Savage trigger? Got my 111 down to 3lbs.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:39 PM   #5
billstclair

SK,

Duh. Why didn't I think of that?

The adjustment was pretty obvious once I took out the three screws holding the stock to the action. I left enough of the adjustment screw so that it won't fall out and checked that whacking the butt on the ground doesn't make it go off. I've got nothing to measure the weight in pounds, but it's definitely better. Looking forward to testing it at the range.

Thank you kindly, sir!
Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission. -- L. Neil Smith
Old June 19, 2002, 09:29 PM   #6
Sisco

Hey, worked for me. When I posted I couldn't find this link, may be too late but if anyone's interested in how to adjust the Savage try these
http://www.snipercountry.com/trigger.htm
http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/savage_trigger.html