The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 9, 2002, 09:53 PM   #1
billstclair

High Cap Mini-30 mags

I am considering getting a Ruger Mini-30, though I'm tempted to get an AK instead. The only doubt I have is the availability of high-capacity magazines. I have found only one distributor in Shotgun News that carries Mini-30 mags and Cheaper than Dirt has only a small supply of Triple K 20 and 30 rounders (but more than enough for me). Do these mags work well in a Mini-30? Would I be better off with an AK, for which mags are plentiful? Do you know of other sources for Mini-30 mags?
Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission. -- L. Neil Smith
Old July 9, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

well, each gun is a rule onto itself. those triple K magazines might work in the gun you're going to buy or they might not. the mini-30 has superior ergonomics and sights (assuming they make them in the non ranch configuration), so it'd probably a better buy if you need those things.

The Ak is probably cheaper, and magazines are easier to find for it.

the AK sights and safety are crap, but ak's are genrally reliable. I'd probably buy an ak.
Old July 10, 2002, 07:39 AM   #3
HerbG

Personally I prefer the Mini 30 simply because it looks a heck of a lot better, and it is much easier to mount a scope on the Ruger. If high capacity mags are really important, that's a different matter. I've had mixed results with aftermarket high caps in the Mini. Some work OK, and some don't. The only thing you can do is try them and see how they perform.
Old July 10, 2002, 08:51 AM   #4
johnwill

I have bought a few Triple-K magazines over the years, primarily for very old pistols that original mags were no longer available, and Triple-K was the only option. I can't think of a single time where I didn't have to fiddle with the magazine to get it to function, and several never worked, no matter what I did. I put Triple-K one notch below USA Magazines, and USA makes total JUNK! If Triple-K is the only choice of magazines, IMO you have no choice, buy the AK.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:03 AM   #5
Erich

I suspect the first thing St. Peter asked Bill Ruger after his admission on Saturday was, "Dude! Why didn't you make the Mini-30 take AK mags?"
Old July 10, 2002, 09:28 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Way Back When, I played with 30- and 40-round high-cap mags in my Mini. I soon came to the conclusion they were mostly pointless things to use. Having one around in the unlikely event of fighting off a pagan horde might be a valid use, but otherwise...

, Art
Old July 10, 2002, 09:54 AM   #7
M1911

I took a defensive carbine class a few years back. One of the students had a Mini-30. Before long, he gave up on his high-cap mags because none of them worked well.

I'd get the AK. At least you know it would be reliable.

M1911
Old July 10, 2002, 10:54 AM   #8
billstclair

Thanks for the replies, folks. After reading up more on the Mini-30, I've decided to go with an AK. Many people love their Rugers, but I've read too many horror stories. And nearly everyone says that the only mags that always work are the Ruger factory mags.

I'll probably get a Robinson Armament VEPR or an Arsenal Inc. SA M-7, and there are lots of other good choices.
Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission. -- L. Neil Smith
Old July 10, 2002, 12:50 PM   #9
M1911

Quote:
And nearly everyone says that the only mags that always work are the Ruger factory mags.
That did indeed appear to be the case for the fellow student who was using a mini-30.

M1911
Old September 17, 2005, 12:29 AM   #10
Chris5401

Mini-30 Mags

Thermold magzines work flawlessly in my experience. The only ones besides factory mags that do. They are aos hard to come by and were going for around 100 bucks a pop at guns shows. I hope the start making them again now that the ban has expired.

I had alos purchased western mags for it. ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!! the mag lips are thin they may as well be tin foil. You can fold sheet metal in your garage and probably make a magazine that will work as effectively. USA brand mags are barely any better(jam 80% of the time as opposed to 100% with Western Mags), and as far as I am concerned less than 100 percent reliability is useless.

Anyone know if Thermold will get back into the magazine making business now that Clintons ban is a dark period in history?
Old September 18, 2005, 10:37 AM   #11
gak

While all of the above comments are true re the mags (and initial gun purchase $) , I like the Mini 30 design so much better (handiness/ergos, scope, sights, looks...all the things mentioned, and at least slightly more PC looking/less in your face--though admit that 30 rounder'd do it regardless), that I'd suck it up on the mags. No I am not made of $, but if choosing this format choose the weapon you like best, then figure out the mag world among the few mentioned that work. Just MO.
Old September 18, 2005, 10:41 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Somewhere out there in the webworld is an article on modifying the AK magazine to the Mini-30. You would do well to do a search to find it.
Old September 18, 2005, 12:38 PM   #13
Onslaught

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, folks. After reading up more on the Mini-30, I've decided to go with an AK. Many people love their Rugers, but I've read too many horror stories. And nearly everyone says that the only mags that always work are the Ruger factory mags.
If your intended use includes the need for magazines above 10-round capacity, then you have made the right decision.

I had a Mini-30 long ago, and bought several brand 20 and 30 round mags... None ever worked 100% all the time. I had a couple that only malfunctioned after MONTHS of working correctly, which to me, is even worse!

Though I no longer own either, I have been considering another, and I personally prefer the Mini over the AK. My intended purpose however would be strictly for use as a "brush" type hunting rifle, so I'd be fine with factory 5 round and ProMag 10 round mags.

If I needed a rifle with 30 round mags, I'd grab my AR.
Old September 18, 2005, 10:00 PM   #14
skinnygun

I have my mini-30 is in a Butler Creek folding stock its a little tight and any mag but the 5 rd Ruger mag would not work...

I bought 3 30 rd Tripple K mags for $50. and they Work great!!
I tried other mags they were useless it . I don't know if they will work with other Mini-30's as well as on mine.

THANK YOU RUGER...for the money wasted on aftermarket mags!
Old September 19, 2005, 08:11 AM   #15
Onslaught

Quote:
THANK YOU RUGER...for the money wasted on aftermarket mags!
One thing I think we frequently forget about regarding Ruger and their factory folders and high-cap magazines is the sad fact that the Mini-14 will forever be associated with one of the ugliest, most industry-shaking shootouts in history!

For the few that may not know, back in 1986 in Dade County Florida, the Ruger Mini-14 with FACTORY folding stock and high-cap mags was used with DEVASTATING effect by one of two bank robbers (Platt and Matix) to kill several FBI agents and wound many more.

You can read a great account HERE.

This shootout is taught in virtually EVERY SINGLE Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Academy in the COUNTRY, and was also responsible for ending wheelgun use forever as a primary weapon by the FBI, gave the 9mm a REALLY bad reputation, brought about the 10mm, (which in turn gave us the .40), and made Dr. Martin Fackler a household name in LEO and shooting circles!

How'd you like THAT on your Corporate conscience?

I know Bushmaster didn't fold when THEY became a household name for a while, but Ruger had to go first, and in the grand scheme of things, the "Platt Matix" tragedy had a MUCH bigger aftershock.
Old February 16, 2006, 12:39 PM   #16
edster88

Mini 30 HiCap Mags - turning crud into gold

I picked up ten 30 rnd mags for my Ruger Mini 30 Ranch Rifle back in '99 at a gun show. I can't say for certain who the manufacturer is, but my best guess is USA. They looked OK - conventional stamped steel construction, folded and spot welded along the front seam. Then I got them home and tried to insert them into the action. Now this truly amazed me - they go to all this trouble and expense to make a product, and not one of them would fit in the dang gun! So I took one of them to the shop, made a steel mandrel to fit inside the mag throat, and set to work with a hardwood mallet. After about 20 minutes, the mag snapped into the action perfectly! I added a smear of ptfe drilube to the nose, which also helped. Bottom line: As long as a mag's construction isn't a total joke, they can be made to fit, as long as you have the skill, tools and patience - it took a couple of evenings to rework all the mags. But we should all heap shame on the manufacturers for not building them to fit in the first place! I recently sold the rifle and the new owner didn't want the mags. Oh well.. I would also say that I really liked the Mini 30 after I put in a reworked trigger assembly.