The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 28, 2002, 05:59 PM   #1
dZ

Harvard Gun Club: Gunning for a Good Time

Gunning for a Good Time
By PETER L. HOPKINS
Crimson Staff Writer
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=161941
Waking up with a hangover is never easy. This is simply a fact of nature, much like gravity or relativity. Last Sunday morning, however, I learned just how hard an early-morning hangover could be.

I had been up for little more than an hour. In that time, I had nursed myself to an uneasy state of recovery through a self-prescribed regimen of temple massaging, controlled breathing and eye squints—all while en route to Manchester, N.H., from Cambridge. I was still in that precarious physical condition where even the sound of my own swallowing rocked my head like a bullhorn when we arrived at our destination. So, one can imagine how my fragile equilibrium—and my will to live—were jolted when suddenly a noise as sharp and as a loud as a gunshot rang out.

It was, in fact, a gunshot.

I was standing in the range of Manchester Firing Line in southern New Hampshire on the newly formed Harvard Law School (HLS) Target Shooting Club’s first spring semester outing. Our group of 18—law students, a few graduate students, two other undergraduates and even a law professor—had traveled 45 minutes north of Cambridge, across the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border to take advantage of the Granite State’s lax firing range laws (which allow anyone to fire weapons on the range without background checks, waiting periods or even basic sobriety tests) and to enjoy a peaceful (and early) Sunday morning shooting the hell out of stationary targets.

The “gun club,” as some of its members lovingly refer to it, is a new addition to the extracurricular offerings at HLS. The club got its start last September when second-year law student Sasha Volokh decided to address what he saw as a serious problem on the HLS campus—the absolute lack of lethal firearms.

With assassin-like resolve, Volokh undertook the numerous tasks necessary to inaugurate an official campus organization. He solicited members by placing fliers in student mail boxes at HLS and recruited a faculty adviser, Richard Parker, who is Williams professor of criminal justice. He then drew up a formal club constitution and solemnly pledged to the HLS general counsel that the gun club would restrict its gun-related activities to off-campus venues.

The Manchester Firing Line Range is, by all accounts, a Shangri-La of high-powered weaponry. If Charlton Heston is the Holy Father of the gun world, then the Manchester Firing Line Range is certainly his Vatican, in New England anyway.

Posted in the entryway of the firing range gift shop is a sign that discourages any attempt at theft from the premises due to the “extraordinary” danger such a feat would entail. Adjacent to that sign is another that advertises, “Children under 13 Shoot for Free.” Mounted on the wall above the cash register is the stuffed head of a bear, captured with teeth drawn, tongue wagging and rage apparent. Any doubt I ever had about my willingness to shoot a gun was dismissed when I stared into the beady eyes of that villainous caricature of a bear, which simply begged to be shot. Every inch of wall space not covered by a gun poster held a shelf of guns instead. There were gun rental options on crowded shelves, in display cases, on top of display cases, hanging from the walls, leaning against the walls and free-standing on tripod mounts.

Before handling the weapons, we signed waivers, handed over our driver’s licenses and got brief oral instruction on how to operate a gun, which included the warning, “Only point your gun at things you wish to destroy.”

For this particular outing, each lane of the range was devoted to a different gun rented from the range by the gun club. The day’s gun offerings included a 9mm Beretta, a 9mm Glock, a .45 automatic, a .44 magnum, a .38 special, a Ruger 9mm carbine, an HK-MP5 (a big-ass machine gun à la Rambo) and a Benelli 12-gauge shotgun, which the range owner, Jim McLoud, reports is popular among law enforcement officers because “that’s what it’s good for.”

Members of the group took turns at each lane, trying their hand with each gun and then moving to another. The scene was a sort of cross between bowling and musical chairs, NRA-style. This was my first time holding a gun, let alone firing one, and it showed. Volokh watched over my shoulder as I fired my very first round, calmly directing my hand to the proper position on the gun and reassuring me each time I hesitated. “Remember,” he said, “make sure you don’t put your finger on the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.” I looked down at my right forefinger, which was wrapped tightly around the trigger even though I was holding the gun at my side, with its barrel dangling somewhere above the second and fourth toes of my right foot. I lifted my finger ever so slowly, fearing what would I might do to myself if I made any sudden movements. With a deep breath, I lifted the gun into position, the barrel (more) safely pointed in the general direction of the target before me. I won’t lie, I was scared. I was scared for me, I was scared for my potential descendants that might never be and I was scared for every other soul at that range who might soon cease to exist. I looked once more at Volokh, who gave me a friendly look of “hurry the hell up.” So, I turned back to the target, cut my mini-drama short and grasped for the trigger. BANG! My hand jumped. My heart raced. The bullet sailed about two feet over the upper left corner of the target. I had fired my first shot! Now, I just had to hit my first target!

There are, perhaps, few sights more intellectually fulfilling than watching a line of budding legal minds living and breathing the Second Amendment to the Constitution. The skill and accuracy with which many of the law students fired suggested that while the gun club might be new to HLS, a passion for guns certainly is not. Many of my new shooting friends said they either grew up hunting for sport or had some other experience to explain their proficiency—one enthusiast said he spent one summer shooting deer for the forestry service.

As a first-time shooter, however, I quickly discovered that hitting the actual targets, as opposed to the ceiling or the roof of the range, was not my forte. So, I took almost immediate affection to the 9mm Glock, with its three internal safety mechanisms that promised me the lowest probability of accidentally hitting one of the many non-stationary targets available at the range. Later, I confided my preferences for the Glock to Lisa M. Giroux, a second-year law student and financial officer of the gun club. Giroux seconded that emotion, replying, “I love my Glock.”

Volokh, the consummate firing range host, moved from lane to lane checking up on everyone. If anyone is in their element at the Manchester Firing Line Range, that person—weirdly enough, he made it his.

Born in Kiev, Ukraine, Volokh attributes his love of guns to the libertarian influence of his parents, who gave up on the Soviet Union in the early 1980s and moved their family to California. According to Volokh, his parents “vote Republican, think communism is bad and free enterprise is good, and love Reagan.” Such an ideological pedigree could probably not fail to produce a non-gun lover. Volokh hopes the presence of a gun club at HLS will not only provide recreational shooters an opportunity to get to the range, but will also educate students about the pro-gun agenda.

To an outside observer, a gun club on the traditionally liberal HLS campus might seem misplaced. But as unorthodox as the club might seem, it seems to have been embraced by the student body. Currently, there are over 100 members of the club—5 percent of the HLS student body, Volokh proudly notes. Volokh has also been impressed by non-members’ tolerance for the club. “I haven’t gotten any angry letters,” he reports. “I was hoping for some outrage.”

Volokh has big plans for the gun club. With the help of Giroux, he hopes to expand its offerings significantly. Plans are in the works for gun-themed movie nights, with screenings of movies that depict “heroic characters using guns for good, such as Red Dawn and The Patriot.” Volokh also hopes to attract pro-gun speakers to campus—perhaps even the great Heston himself. At present, however, the activities of the group are confined to two trips per semester to the Manchester Firing Line.

After the gun club had had enough of target shooting—that is, if anyone can ever truly have enough shooting—we headed back to the range gift shop to browse for last minute souvenirs. A gun, perhaps, or maybe a crossbow, or even an industrial bottle of Mace the size of a fire extinguisher. We then headed out to lunch to reflect on our day as a group. One need not have psychic gifts to guess where the members of the gun club elected to go to fill their empty stomachs—yes, we feasted on beef and beer at the Longhorn Steak House.

Later on, as I looked back upon a day in which I had awoke with a vicious hangover, traveled across state lines to exploit lax gun laws, dulled my senses by firing many absurdly big and loud guns and, finally, sated my animal hunger with bloody meat, I could not help but think that, for one day, I had lived the American dream. With a vengeance.
Old February 28, 2002, 11:08 PM   #2
Coronach

Wow. That was actually published? The mind boggles.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 28, 2002, 11:45 PM   #3
inGobwetrust

I shoot at the Manchester Firing Line quite often and can attest that it is indeed a first-class facility. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. Jim, the owner, is an incredible wealth of knowledge and doesn't mind sharing.

Other groups from MA, where I work, also use the range including the Boston Area chapter of Pink Pistols, a group of mostly gay and lesbian shooters. So much for the myth that gun enthusiasts are a bunch of intollerant Neanderthals! Back in '92-'93 I worked at Harvard Business School and met many students from all over the country that were shooting enthusiasts and hunters but I figured that it was due to the fact that the B School is so much more conservative than the rest of Harvard.

Now that better weather is coming I will be headed for the outdoor hangun range again but I'll still make it a point to buy much of my shooting needs and have all my out of state transfers done at this fine facility.

Patrick Gobbi

Last edited by inGobwetrust; March 1, 2002 at 12:50 AM.
Old March 1, 2002, 12:20 AM   #4
Halo

It would be nice if some of these law student shooting enthusiasts would help defend the 2nd Amendment once they are in practice.
Old March 1, 2002, 01:19 AM   #5
mpthole

The feeling I got after reading that article is that the author is one leftist, vegan, zips-'his'-pants-on-the-side, hypocritical, ignorant maroon who just can't bring himself to admit that he actually enjoys "absurdly big and loud guns". Excuse me, but what exactly is so absurd about a .45 ACP, an MP-5 (they DO come in different calibers!), or a 12-gauge?!? Its like he's 'trying'.... but face it - he's a lost cause.
Old March 1, 2002, 09:38 AM   #6
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

This guy is probably my distant relative (my original last name is Volokhonsky, on the side fo the family which comes from Ukraine). I ought to drop him a line...

http://volokh.com has interesting info.

Last edited by Oleg Volk; March 1, 2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old March 1, 2002, 10:05 AM   #7
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Quote:
The feeling I got after reading that article is that the author is one leftist, vegan, zips-'his'-pants-on-the-side, hypocritical, ignorant maroon [etc, etc...]
I didn't get that at all. Hopkins seemed pretty OK withhis day of shooting with a bunch of Harvard lawyers.

- pdmoderator
Old March 1, 2002, 10:07 AM   #8
jwise

Mpthole, don't be so hard on him. His background is MUCH different than mine, and I'd bet yours'. But he was willing to get up on a Sunday morning and go shooting for the first time. I'm impressed with his honesty and straight-forwardness. One or two more trips like that, and some good quality time w/ that group of students, and he'll be a great ally to our common goal.

Heck, the idea that Harvard now has a gun club that is widely popular (100 members IS widely popular at Harvard) is probably the best news I've heard all day! And it sounds like it has some leadership for the moment.

I find it pretty funny that he thinks he is "exploiting lax gun laws" in New Hampshire. It's painfully obvious that all he has ever known is what he's experienced in MA, MD and the like. It's comical to think that any state in this nation has "lax" gun laws (all states are under the same Federal laws, which are NOT lax.)
Old March 1, 2002, 11:26 AM   #9
Master Blaster

Note his les than safe gunhandling, and the fact that he got plastered the night before and went shooting with a bad hangover. Well at least he did not drink a tumbler full of Booze before he went shooting.
Old March 1, 2002, 11:39 AM   #10
WyldOne

I'm surprised that a person -- from MA no less-- went to a range, shot some guns for the first time, and had a pleasant experience....is not being warmly received here.

MB, as far as his unsafe gun handling, he was reminded of that and he corrected his behavior. When it's your first time shooting, and all you've ever seen is tv and movies, it's very hard not to casually put your finger on the trigger. Because, that's what they do on tv--so that's all you know. Sounds like he learned a lesson he won't soon forget:

Quote:
“Remember,” he said, “make sure you don’t put your finger on the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.” I looked down at my right forefinger, which was wrapped tightly around the trigger even though I was holding the gun at my side, with its barrel dangling somewhere above the second and fourth toes of my right foot. I lifted my finger ever so slowly, fearing what would I might do to myself if I made any sudden movements. With a deep breath, I lifted the gun into position, the barrel (more) safely pointed in the general direction of the target before me. I won’t lie, I was scared. I was scared for me, I was scared for my potential descendants that might never be and I was scared for every other soul at that range who might soon cease to exist.

And as far as his hangover....The Crimson is the student newspaper at Harvard. Being a Syracuse alum, I can attest to the fact that hangovers on the weekend are a normal occurrence. Also, the author of the piece had to draw readers' attention somehow, right? This hooked me right at the beginning.

This part stood out to me though:
Quote:
grasped for the trigger. BANG! My hand jumped. My heart raced. The bullet sailed about two feet over the upper left corner of the target. I had fired my first shot!
Put the butterflies right back into my stomach. All over again.

WyldOne's Fun & Political BB

WyldOne's homepage
Old March 1, 2002, 12:01 PM   #11
Bogie

Wyldshot (grin), it gets easier after you figure out how to consistently hit the target...

Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it: Find a skeet club, and shoot some clay pigeons. Or, barring a plurality, at least ONE clay pigeon... Try not to cuss too much.

There's a reason why I shoot benchrest - dang target doesn't move.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old March 1, 2002, 01:17 PM   #12
mpthole

Well... now that I've sobered up - I guess I was little hard on the guy. Everybody's got to start somewhere I guess. Maybe there is some hope for him afterall.
Old March 1, 2002, 03:05 PM   #13
jwise

WyldOne,

He is received VERY well w/ me. I am excited whenever I see a new shooter "cut his teeth." Especially when that new shooter comes from a very liberal background and environment.

As I've stated before, this is the best news I've heard all day!
Old March 1, 2002, 03:48 PM   #14
GnL

I wonder if the Volokh in the article is somehow related to Professor Eugene Volokh at the UCLA Law school. Prof. Volokh has written some good pro-gun scholarly material which you can see on his website. [EDIT]: After looking at Oleg's link, it appears that the Volokh in the Harvard article is the younger brother of Professor Volokh at UCLA. Sounds like a pretty cool family.

Halo,

While there aren't overwhelming numbers of law students who are pro-gun, there are more than you might imagine. I am one, and I know several others at school. I, for one, plan to get as active as possible in the cause when I finish in May. I am heartened by the Harvard article--if there are enough of them there at Harvard to form a gun club, that is a pretty good indication that there are more who are very discreet about it. And I am an exception: I arrived at law school as an anti, and will be leaving as a pro-gun enthusiast.
JPFO
SAS

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken
Old March 1, 2002, 04:00 PM   #15
OF

I'm with jwise, great news!

- Gabe
Old March 1, 2002, 04:13 PM   #16
dZ

GnL wins the mystery prize!

Sasha Volokh is Eugenes son.

Apple not falling far from the tree in that family