The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 26, 2002, 04:52 PM   #1
cuerno de chivo

Dell Computer discrimination against Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000037.html
Old February 26, 2002, 05:08 PM   #2
Drizzt

Dell Computers Anti-Gun?

Let me start by saying that this was passed along to me by someone else, so I've not had the chance to test the veracity of the statement, but I wanted to go ahead and pass this along. I will check on this myself, and invite anyone else with any information to also let us know:

Quote:
I am writing this because I feel every Firearms owner should know this story.
I placed an order for a Dell notebook computer on February 13 on line with Dell. I was given a tentative delivery date of February 21st. I was watching the order through the Dell on line tracking system; I also opted for the automatic email notification of when the machine was to be shipped. Well the 21st came and went, I am a Pistolsmith I know things can happen. I made a phone call on the 25th, did a voice mail message for my salesman to get back to me and I was looking for the delivery date. The 25th came and went with no callback. On the 26th I placed another call this time to cancel the order. After a few hours I got a call back, with this amazing reason for the delay. It seems someone in Dell had already canceled my order, when I asked why I was told Dell was afraid I was going to use the machine for illegal purposes. When I asked why someone would think that I was told it was because of the name of my business “Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.”. Because I am involved in firearms I might be doing something illegal. Now keep in mind I was never called or informed of this decision the order was just canceled. Many of you know me personally and know I run my business about as squeaky clean as possible. In addition being the President of the American Pistolsmiths Guild I am under additional scrutiny as to how I run my business, if I am not clean how can I be the President of an organization that promotes just that! I was informed by a Dell supervisor not long after all of this the reason I was refused was because of their post September 11th policy of screening buyers.
I would like to respectfully ask the firearms community to do the following. If you intended to buy a Dell and because of this letter you do not, email Dell and let them know why. Feel free to distribute this account to all you know in the Firearms community, I think they need to know. I for one am sick and tired of people assuming just because we are involved with firearms that we are doing something illegal. I also do not believe Dell deserves our business if this is how they intend to treat us.
God Bless
Jack Weigand
President
American Pistolsmiths Guild Inc.

------------------
www.jackweigand.com

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000037.html
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old February 26, 2002, 05:21 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Well damnation! I almost feel like taking the Dell machine I'm using at this very moment outside and putting a bullet through it along with the other 3 I use for various purposes.

That sure looks like Jack Weigand's writing style and wording so I would say it is true. Since he is a member here, maybe he can personally confirm or deny it.
Old February 26, 2002, 05:22 PM   #4
gryphon

At first glance, I find this hard to believe. Before I'd beleieve it, I'd need more confirmation and maybe some information from Dell.
Old February 26, 2002, 05:22 PM   #5
jwise

Anybody figured out if this is legit?
Old February 26, 2002, 05:29 PM   #6
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting this, cuerno de chivo.

Dell will be getting a letter from me pronto.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old February 26, 2002, 05:33 PM   #7
DLL

Yes, thanks for posting. I work in IS and have bought Dell computers for years. I sent them an email and intend to take my business elsewhere.
Old February 26, 2002, 05:45 PM   #8
Jason Demond

DUDE, YOUR NOT BUYING A DELL!

That's another reason for me not to buy a Dell. I can't stand the kid on tv. The computer I have has been a good one, and it will need to be replaced soon. Maybe I will build my own.
Old February 26, 2002, 05:53 PM   #9
The Reaper

Has anyone verified the information????

I have sent Dell an email with the text from the post on the Ruger Forum. If they respond I will post to let everyone know their side of the story.
Old February 26, 2002, 05:56 PM   #10
Bear Flare

Here's my inquiry at their CS web mail page.

It has been brought to my attention that Mr. Jack Weigand of Mountaintop, PA recently ordered a computer system from Dell and had his order cancelled without explaination. He ordered the notebook on Feb 13, 2002. When asked about the reason for cancellation, his customer service rep. said that Dell was afraid he would use his computer for illegal activities. This fear was based upon the name of Mr. Weigand's company, “Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.”

Mr Weigand is a first-class pistolsmith catering to the competitive shooting community, and Dell's order cancellation and subsiquent treatment of Mr. Weigand is outrageous and unfair.

Be assured, Dell will not receive my new computer order and I will encourage my friends and family to do business with their competitors unless Dell offers a satisfactory explaination of their behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how they'll address that!

Bear Flare
Old February 26, 2002, 06:00 PM   #11
Bartholomew Roberts

This poster registered under Jack Weigand back in August...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=104121

so it looks like someone out there has a complaint with Dell, considering that they are hanging their name on it and making a public accusation, I'd have to say that the complaint looks legit to me. In any case, it looks legitimate enough that I'd like Dell to explain themselves.
Old February 26, 2002, 06:25 PM   #12
Quartus

Anybody can register and post with any name. I've just emailed Mr. Weigand to verify this story.

Please stand by...

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old February 26, 2002, 06:27 PM   #13
Quartus

Anybody can register and post with any name. I've just emailed Mr. Weigand to verify this story.

Please stand by...

BTW, this is a duplicate thread.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&postid=911137

Old February 26, 2002, 06:28 PM   #14
Larry Ashcraft

Here is where I saw the information:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/show...threadid=13910

I believe it IS Jack Weigand
Old February 26, 2002, 06:30 PM   #15
Quartus

Whoa! That was quick! I looked Jack up on the Pistolsmith's website so that I would KNOW I was talking to the real thing.

He confirmed the story. Let's turn up the heat on Dell!

Old February 26, 2002, 06:35 PM   #16
Quartus

Whoa! That was quick! I looked Jack up on the Pistolsmith's website so that I would KNOW I was talking to the real thing.

He confirmed the story. Let's turn up the heat on Dell!

BTW, this is now one of THREE threads on this! Mods? MODS? HEY, MODS! KILL SUMTHIN HERE!

Old February 26, 2002, 06:39 PM   #17
The Terminator

I too will be replacing my computer, but it will NOT ever, ever be a Dell. Geez, what idiots.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old February 26, 2002, 06:42 PM   #18
Skorzeny

Before we get involved, has Mr. Weigand try contacting the president of the company, Dell?

I know it might be futile, but we should let the "buck-stops-here man" at Dell to find out the circumstances and allow him an opportunity make any amends first before we launch into a "let's-swamp-their-server" attack.

I think the ultimate goal is to MODIFY the behavior of companies, not BOYCOTT them.

Skorzeny
Old February 26, 2002, 06:43 PM   #19
C.R.Sam

Need to know.

If this is a policy and attitude of Michael Dell or the arbitrary move of an underling.

Sam.....diggin
Old February 26, 2002, 06:53 PM   #20
C.R.Sam

Let us find out if that is Michael Dell's policy or that of some underling.

Sam
Old February 26, 2002, 06:55 PM   #21
DaHaMac

Quote:
I think the ultimate goal is to MODIFY the behavior of companies, not BOYCOTT them.

Skorzeny
Agreed
Old February 26, 2002, 06:57 PM   #22
citizen

...we're running duplicate threads here.........
Life is too short for dial-up
Old February 26, 2002, 06:59 PM   #23
Quartus

Boycotting is a method for persuading them to modify their behaviour. A last resort, like shooting. There are other steps which should be taken first, of course.

Sam & Skorenzy have identified some of them. If this IS company policy, a campaign of letters, emails, and phone calls is called for. If they will not bend, a boycott may be in order.

It will take a few weeks to see what Dell intended, and intends.

Old February 26, 2002, 07:06 PM   #24
lonegunman

Do any of you use a program called Microsoft Windows?

If so, you might want to look up the gun record of Microsoft before you start boycotting.
Old February 26, 2002, 07:14 PM   #25
riverdog

Modifying their policy is a good thing, giving them a chance to explain and rationalize that policy is also necessary before a boycott.

I use Dell computers daily and I want to know whether or not to go elsewhere for my next purchase.

Last edited by riverdog; February 27, 2002 at 10:09 PM.