The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2002, 12:30 AM   #1
Uhave2

I'm considering either a Dillon 550b, RCBS Turret or Pro2000.

I've decided to start reloading my own ammunition. I realized that over the past few months my weekly ammo usage is around 500-800rds per week. A combination of 9mm, .357, .45 , .223, .243 with a greater emphasis on the handgun calibers.
Coupled with my recent obsession with Highpower competition, I foresee even greater ammunition needs.
At first I planned on getting a turret press but from what I've read on this forum it may be wise for me get a progressive.
Do my ammo needs warrant a progressive?
I'm considering either a Dillon 550b, RCBS Turret or Pro2000.
These presses seem sturdy enough and they have Lifetime Warranties.
I know the price range is wide with these choices, so all of you who have reloading experience can help steer me to an appropriate choice.
I'm pretty sure most will respond with a vote for the Dillon.
But I felt I had to ask anyway.

One other thing. Why is Dillon charging customers for that Instructional Video and the ergonomic plastic Roller Handle.
It would seem that both shold be included considering all the money you're spending.
Old February 27, 2002, 12:43 AM   #2

You are definitely shooting enough to warrent a progressive loader. In fact I can hardly belive you are shooting that much factory ammo; WOW. You must have a hell of a lot of brass to start loading. I have been loading for about 20 years now. For 19 of those years I used a single stage RCBS Rockchucker. About a year ago, I upgraded to a Lyman Turret. About 3-4 months ago I again upgraded, this time to a ........... (you will never guess), a Dillon 550. For volume reloading, it is almost a must unless you are willing to put a couple hours a day, every day into loading. I don't know anything about the other presses you mentioned. I am happy with my 550 and have friends that have owned 550s for many years that are also very happy with them.
I have no idea why Dillon charges for those items, I am sure no one knows that but them. Buy both, they are nice additions. I would have never got my press running without that tape or some help. Also, check around on the net before you buy. There are a number of places that sell for 10% less than Dillon. I bought mine from a guy on this board when I started asking about them.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old February 27, 2002, 08:54 AM   #3
MADISON

I'm considering...

Lyman makes a very good T-Mag-II territ press. It will do rifle with no sweat. Also consider a Hornady LNL Progressive for, pistol and maybe 223.
MADISON
Old February 27, 2002, 09:09 AM   #4
mec

mcump

I use a turret-one of them is the Dillon AT500 but I don't shoot as much as you do. You are definately in progressive loader territory. I think you will find dillon to be a great company to do business with.
Old February 27, 2002, 09:50 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Blue
Old February 27, 2002, 12:56 PM   #6
5pins

Save your self-some money and don’t get the Pro 2000 because when you sell it to get a Dillon you will not get what you paid for it.
Old February 27, 2002, 03:58 PM   #7
whizz

Yup as said go for the blue one...
Old February 27, 2002, 05:00 PM   #8
Steve Smith

I have been VERY happy with my Dillon 550B and Dillon's service. The Hornady machine looks interesting, but I know nothing about it. Perhaps I just like the color.

Blue
Will make you
As happy as you
Can be.

Sam, how was that?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old February 27, 2002, 05:31 PM   #9
Fatelvis

I have a 550, and like it very much. Also, I would suggest if you didnt already buy dies, to buy Dillon`s. They have big, funnel shaped mouths, perfect for guiding the brass into the die, reducing hang-ups on a progressive. Their dies have other neat features, like being able to clean the dies, without changing their settings, and reversable seater stems, that have two different profiles. (For SWC and RN handgun bullets).-keep `em in the black!
Old February 27, 2002, 06:05 PM   #10
maxwayne

I used an RCBS Jr for 25 years and then got a 550. It is a sweet machine.
Old February 27, 2002, 06:22 PM   #11
Tol

Be Forewarned: I am reloading on a Rockchucker solely.

I have given some thought to the exact same question. I would suggest that you consider all of the options and take the number of Dillon suggestions with a grain of salt. While they make fantastic reloaders, they aren't the only option. In fact you may find that another company is making something that gives you a little more bang for your buck.

If you do a search on the Pro 2000 I think you'll find that the people who have it are pretty happy. The same could be said of the Dillon. Although the overwhelming number of positive responses regarding the Dillon seems to be a result of the overwhelming number of Dillon owners on this board, not because Dillon's presses are the only presses that are making people happy.

JMHO
Tol
Old February 27, 2002, 07:28 PM   #12
Uhave2

Yes, I have lots of brass..lots of brass.
Well, I've been shooting the Handguns for 6 months and my rifles for many years.
I know it's getting expensive to shoot when my wife makes a sly remark.
She has been pretty good about it though, never bothers me about my hobbies unless I/We can't afford it. Like when I wanted to attend Flight Safety International to become a pilot.
I'm lucky she didn't shoot me when we had our "Sit Down" on that subject.
I don't know how much I'll like reloading. I view it as a necessary progression of my passion/hobby. So spending 10hrs to turn out 1000rds of ammo doesn't thrill me just yet.
Maybe if I get the reloading bug I'll be proud to wear the Brass Rat moniker.

Thanks guys.
I guess I'll buy the Dillon.
Old February 27, 2002, 08:50 PM   #13
Brass Rat

Hey! I resemble that remark!

The nondeplume came from my reloading/shooting friends many years ago. Mainly because I'd pick up every piece of orphaned brass in sight - even the stuff I had no gun for - until I bought the gun in question just to shoot that brass with. Latest acquisition was a poodle-shooter (AR-15). Someone had left about 800 LC empties on the ground.

Heyyyy...theres some .416 Rigby laying there....
Old February 27, 2002, 09:25 PM   #14
Steve Smith

"10hrs to turn out 1000rds"

Umm, I thought you were interested in a progressive. Try 2 hours, bub.

You're gonna love the Dillon...and I'll bet you love to reload, too. Its really addictive.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old February 27, 2002, 10:38 PM   #15
Frank Iacono

Dillon

I use a 550B to reload for 30/06,308,44mag,30 carbine. I also bought a Dillon square deal for .38/357, 45ACP, 9mm. They both are reliable and produce excellent reloads. You won't be disappointed with a Dillon. I also used to reload .223 and 7.62x39 on the 550B, but for informal target shooting, you can buy recently manufactured loaded ammo at less cost than the components. Incidentally, my 550B started its life about 20years ago as a Dillon RL300(for Rapid Load 300rounds/hr) and through numerous upgrades it reached its current status. It works now as good as the day I bought it.
Old February 27, 2002, 11:23 PM   #16
Uhave2

Steve Smith,

"10hrs to turn out 1000rds"

That was sarcasm.
I don't have 10hrs to spend reloading. My point was that at this time I have neither the time nor inclination to do so.
But maybe someday I'll have time to immerse myself in the minutiae of reloading.
Right now I just want to accurately produce as much as possible in the shortest amount of time.
Old February 28, 2002, 01:28 AM   #17
BusGunner007

...minutiae of reloading
...minutiae of reloading
...minutiae of reloading
...minutiae of reloading

HELLLLPPPPP!!!

I am REALLY scared to go there!
Old February 28, 2002, 10:29 AM   #18
ryucasta

While I find the 550 a good machine, having owned one before, I would suggest the 650 due to the auto indexing, and the case feeder. It's my opinion that you'll be better served by that machine vs. the 550. Even though it hasn’t been mentioned I don’t recommend the 1050 unless you’re going to be loading crimped military brass. This machine has the advantage of removing the crimp from the brass but unfortunately the standard lifetime Dillon warranty does not apply to it.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old February 28, 2002, 12:59 PM   #19

Madison. If you are thinking about a Lyman T-Mag II, I have one that I would be willing to part with. If you are interested, get back to me.
Old February 28, 2002, 01:28 PM   #20
Dave W.

I load my rounds on either a RCBS Rock Chucker,Wilson hand dies or a Dillon 550B Have had my Dillon for 6 or 7 years without any problems. The Tech phone line offered by Dillon is superb, also.
My vote would definately be Dillon
Old March 2, 2002, 09:25 AM   #21
Redneck2

Consider this...

every time you change calibers in the Dillon, it gets REAL expensive.

I have 45 acp, 45LC, 22-250, 30-30, 25-06, 300WM, 44-40, 35 Whelen, 45-70, 45-90, etc.

Dillon wants to sell you an interchangeable tool head for every caliber, which includes a powder measure. By the time you get shell plates, buttons and powder funnels (come in the caliber conversion kit), the complete measure and tool head you have well over $100 per caliber. The alternative is to reset the dies and powder measure every time, which takes 15-20 minutes. If you load 200 rounds each of 3 different calibers, you'll spend a lot more time setting up than reloading, or you'll have about $1,000 invested in blue paint.

They SHOULD give good customer service if I have $1,000-2,000 into a $359 loader.

If I it to do over, I'd take a REAL hard look at a Hornady LNL (Lock-N-Load). Their dies fit into a sleeve that just slides into the press and requires no re-adjusting. The powder measure has an insert bushing that's $5.95 and can readjusted or you can just buy extra inserts and not have to readjust. Takes a few seconds to change. The powder measure is activated by the case so you just about eliminate spills and double charges (easier to do than it sounds).

Once you get committed to a brand, it's hard to change because of the money invested.
Old March 2, 2002, 05:58 PM   #22
grunewaj

I just thought I'd echo Redneck2's comments. I have a Hornady LnL AP and I think it is by far the best press for the money. It's less expensive than the Dillon 550 and is autoprogressive like the Dillon 650. The only disadvantage the LnL AP has to the 650 is that you can't get a shell loader for it.

Hornady also has an extra cost micrometer powder metering insert that is super handy. I don't know how people do without them. It allows you to dial in a charge weight rather than fiddling with screw adjustments.

I've had excelent service from Hornady and the press is rock solid. It's well worth a look.

Jim
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old March 3, 2002, 08:46 AM   #23
Redneck2

Grun....

Hornady is coming out with a case feeder that will work with rifle and pistol shells and will retro-fit.

One of my local dealers used to handle Dillon, but changed to Hornady because of the expense. He thinks Hornady will dominate once this is introduced.

Notice that the Dillon fans almost always say "I've got 3 550's..."

They keep one set up for each caliber 'cause they're such a pain to change and once you're committed, you're in too deep to dump 'em.
Old March 3, 2002, 10:38 AM   #24
Frank Iacono

Redneck2

Being a two dillon press owner, I can't really argue with your comments about the cost and caliber conversion issues with Dillons. I use insertable toolheads on the 550B and provided I don't have to change from large to small primers, I can change calibers in a few minutes. The conversion is quick only if you have a dedicated powder measure for each caliber and will run about $100 per conversion. The bulk of the cost is in the powder measure @55.95. Dillon offers a shell plate , buttons and powder funnel for $32.95, tool head @12.95 and powder [email protected]. Total for a dillon conversion is $107.80 Note however, that you can change calibers from .45ACP to .308 to 30-06 in a few minutes and at only the cost about $75, because the shell plates are the same (powder funnels usually are not). However, as Redneck pointed out, I bought a second dillon press (square deal) to reload small pistol cartridges to avoid the time consuming task of converting from 30-06 to 9mm. I have no experience with the Hornady, but from your comments it sounds like an excellent press. Will the Hornady LNL powder measure with inserts work on a Dillon 550B? It sounds like a great powder measure.
Old March 15, 2002, 09:16 PM   #25
Uhave2

Redneck,

Your comments/observations piqued my curiosity.
It's true about it being a long term commitment.
I hadn't given any consideration to the Lock-n-Load AP.
I should take a look at all the costs involved before making my purchase.
So I sent an e-mail to both Dillon and Hornady on March 4 & 5.
Here is part of the e-mail I sent to them

"..The handgun calibers I will reload are 9mm, .45, .38, .357.
My rifle reloading will be for .223, .243, 7mmMag,.
What parts/accessories will be necessary for me to start reloading these calibers using the..."

Neither company has responded so far, but I think I'll give them one last try and send my e-mail again.

If someone on TFL knows anyone at either of these companies or has a good e-mail address please let me know. They could even e-mail me.

Thanks