The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 18, 2000, 08:19 PM   #1
MIDSOUTHSPORTS

HAS ANYONE CHECKED OUT THE NEW FIREARM WAL-MART HAS ADDED TO ITS ARSENAL?
CHARLES DALY FIELD HUNTER MC-3
12GA. 28" BARREL VR 3" CHAMBER, SYNTH. STOCK.
THIS GUN IS A GAS OPERATED SEMI-AUTO
FOR ONLY $299.97. I CHECKED DALY'S WEBSITE AND THEIR MSRP IS 475.00. GREAT DEAL FOR US HUNTERS ON FIXED INCOME. IF ANYONE HAS ONE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT. MODEL 1181. EVERYONE NOCKS WAL-MART BUT NOONE CAN BEAT SOME OF THEIR DEALS.
Old October 19, 2000, 01:35 AM   #2
3 gun

Friend picked one up at a show 2 weeks ago. Synth stock 3"mag with 3 choke tubes for $250 cash. Patterns nicely at 30 yds,worked fine on 5 stand clays. LOP a little long for me(stocky build) but swings nicely on target. Starting to show a little finish wear already(apx:300rds) so it may not be the best for a heavy shooter. Bears keeping an eye on. Worked flawlessly with target to turkey loads. Kicks a little more than expected with heavy loads but then again the light weight makes it easier to carry. A nice shotgun on first impression, time will tell about its value.

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble knocks down the door.
Old October 19, 2000, 04:03 AM   #3
house

I was just wondering were are charles daly shotguns made?
Old October 19, 2000, 06:40 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Chas Daly started out as a maker in Prussia, late 19th Century, with excellent doubles and drillings. Since then, they've been made in a variety of places, including Japan and Spain. I've read the new ones are made by Sabbati, in Italy.

I've no idea of their quality, but for $300 I'd expect a worm in the apple.
Old October 19, 2000, 10:40 AM   #5
TaxPhd

Dave,

My understanding is that there is NO connection between the Prussian Charles Daly and the modern Charles Daly. Someone has simply purchased rights to the name, and uses it on a variety of imported guns. Am I correct?

------------------
TaxPhd

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old October 19, 2000, 10:41 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yup, Daly's more of a distributor these days.
Old October 26, 2000, 07:41 PM   #7
MIDSOUTHSPORTS

DALY is now being made in turkey and "FAUSTI" IS BEING MADE IN SPAIN. BUT IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER ITS A GREAT GUN AND THEY HAVE BEEN MAKING FIREARMS SINCE ABOUT 1865 OR SO. I OWN ON OF THEIR PISTOLS IN.40 ALSO AND THEY MAKE A NICE PRODUCT FOR THE MONEY. ESPECIALLY 299 FOR A SEMI. I HAVE PUT ABOUT 800 ROUNDS OR SO THROUGH MY SHOTGUN ALREADY WITH DOVE,TURKEY AND DUCK SEASONS. AND NOT A FLAW YET. EXCEPT FOR BAD LOADS.THEIR PRICES RANGE UP TO 10,000.
Old August 16, 2001, 12:24 PM   #8
3 gun

An update

My friends gun has broken just short of finishing the 2nd case of field loads. He's run some 00 and slugs thru it also, so the total round count should be just over 500. The gun is with the smith now. I'll post more info when I get it.
Old August 16, 2001, 01:34 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the update, 3 gun. I'd kinda like to know how they hold up myself.....
Old August 16, 2001, 02:04 PM   #10
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

3gun if I'm the smith he picked it up yesterday. :-) I doubt it's the same gun because the owner told me that he hadn't fired it very much. The bolt locking block broke at the firing pin tunnel. I contacted Daly about a replacement and it's a factory restricted part so in order to get his gun working he has to send it in to them. They must have someone doing repairs in the States because their customer service told me it would be a 2-3 week turnaround. George
Old August 16, 2001, 05:54 PM   #11
Will Beararms

You know I hate to bag on anyone but I gotta tell ya.....

I made a decison to have fewer guns but have weapons of the highest quality. I am now down to a S&W 3953, an 870 Express and a Beretta AL 390. I got rid of more than one mediocre weapon to be able to afford the best.

I know times can be hard and believe me when I tell you I have been there. The fact remains that you do get what you pay for and that $299.00 would have been much better spent on a Remington 870 Express Pump.

Again, I am not trying to belittle anyone but in the long run you'll end up spending more money on a sub-par semi-auto shotgun. George will probably agree that even the top of the line shotguns break so imagine what a cheapo will do.
Old August 16, 2001, 07:42 PM   #12
Will Beararms

go to duckcentral.com and read the Daley horror thread on the Arkansas discoussion board. Goto duckcentral.com, click on Arkansas, then click on hunting reports and it will direct you to the the new forum.
Old August 17, 2001, 12:35 AM   #13
taco

For $29 more you should have gotten the Remington 1100 that was on sale. By the way, I still see some Remington 1100 at couple of local Walmart for $328.
Old October 16, 2001, 08:12 AM   #14
3 gun

At last my friend got his shotgun back. The part that was broken had to be replaced by the factory. No details, no cost and a fairly quick turn around once a decision was made between the smith and the factory. A clay trip last weekend shows the gun working fine again. Wish I could say the same for my friend.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old October 16, 2001, 11:34 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the update, 3 gun. With all due respect f0r your friend, I think he may have made a mistake.

A top quality repeater should outlive the first owner, maybe the second. Exception, very heavy usage like serious clay shooters. Even then, trap guns are oft good for 100,000 rounds or more.
Old September 6, 2005, 04:14 AM   #16
wrcraw1965

Made by Diamond Arms in Turkey!

Looks like Diamond makes them in Turkey. Been making guns for 40 years. Even some Charles Daly trap gun models include "Diamond" in the model names. The new Charles Daly auto-loaders must be from Diamond Mfg. since they are manufactured in Turkey and also look just like a "Diamond" shotgun with all the buttons in the same places, etc.

Bill