The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 12, 2002, 01:11 AM   #1
Redlg155

Sometimes I can't believe I live here!

DANIEL JACKSON THE NEWS HERALD
A neighborhood feud turned fowl Tuesday when a Bay County man shot and killed three chickens and a turkey with a .357-caliber Magnum during an argument in his neighbor’s front yard.
Ron Daniel, 54, said he got into an argument with Sandra Lawrence when his birds wandered onto her property near State 22 in eastern Bay County. Daniel said he couldn’t catch the birds, so he got angry and shot them.
Daniel, who was raising the birds for food, said he had every intention of eating what he had killed, but he was arrested and charged with one count of misdemeanor animal cruelty before he could put the birds in a pot.
"I intended to take them to the house and make chicken and dumplings out of them," Daniel said. "They never knew what hit them. I’m one hell of a shot."

Cont....
Old July 12, 2002, 01:12 AM   #2
Redlg155

Lawrence said she demanded that Daniel remove the birds from her yard, but was appalled and disgusted at his methods.
"It’s not hunting season," she said. "I didn’t even comprehend what he was doing until I heard the bang. My mouth fell open. You don’t expect somebody to do something like that. It was just uncalled for."
The neighbors both admit having a problem keeping their animals on their respective properties. Daniel said Lawrence’s dog has come onto his property several times and killed his chickens.
"I’d go out in my yard and find a dead chicken here and a dead chicken there," Daniel said. "I told them I’ve got a problem with your dog killing my fowl. I talked to them three times, and got a good cussing out."
Old July 12, 2002, 01:13 AM   #3
Redlg155

Cont...

Daniel said he has called Bay County deputies and animal control out to his house on several occasions to report problems with Lawrence’s dog. Needless to say, when Daniel’s chickens wandered onto Lawrence’s property Tuesday, they were not wellreceived.
"I was going to get those chickens," Daniel said. "I took my cane and started over there to catch them, but they ran from me, which is natural."
Unable to catch the chickens, Daniel, a disabled veteran, admits that he lost his temper and told his son to bring him his gun.
"We used to call it ‘going south’ in ’Nam," Daniel said. "She (Lawrence) said, ‘Get your chickens off of my property or kill them.’ These people have aggravated me and aggravated me. I had to put a stop to it.
"I thought well I can shoot my neighbors or I can shoot my chickens, but if I shoot my neighbors, I won’t have any dinner," he added.
Old July 12, 2002, 01:14 AM   #4
Redlg155

cont..

Lawrence said her 19-year-old daughter, an animal lover who was horrified by the shooting, called the Humane Society.
Animal control officials responded to the scene with Bay County deputies, who took Daniel into custody. Two chickens and a turkey were found dead at the scene. One chicken was rushed to Parkway Animal Hospital where it died in surgery.
The shooting, Daniel said, was more humane than euthanasia practiced in animal shelters, and it had a purpose — food.
"Some people may think it’s cold-blooded, but those same people will go to the grocery store and buy chicken wrapped in plastic," Daniel said. "I’m a country boy. I was raised on a farm. If you didn’t raise something to eat, you didn’t eat."According to Florida Statute 828.12, misdemeanor animal cruelty is defined as unnecessarily mutilating or killing an animal. The offense is punishable by up to a year in jail or a fine of not more than $5,000.
Old July 12, 2002, 01:16 AM   #5
Redlg155

The picture of our hero can be had at newsherald.com , our local paper.

"I thought well I can shoot my neighbors or I can shoot my chickens, but if I shoot my neighbors, I won’t have any dinner," he added.

Gotta love the guy!

Good Shooting
RED
Old July 12, 2002, 01:27 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Quote:
One chicken was rushed to Parkway Animal Hospital where it died in surgery.
:barf:

Must be sumpin in the air thereabouts.

Sam
Old July 12, 2002, 01:34 AM   #7
OF

That is too funny. "The Reality Train hit a Blissninny in a head on collision today. Report at 11." Hehe.

- Gabe
Old July 12, 2002, 01:42 AM   #8
PATH

Rushed the chicken to the hospital? Hunting season for chickens?
It would really be funny if it were not so pathetic. You can break their necks but don't shoot them. I see this one getting thrown out of court and a lawsuit being filed.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 12, 2002, 01:43 AM   #9
DadOfThree

Sam, you beat me to it. I had the same quote ready to go. Do these people not have any hamburger or hot dogs in their refridgeraters? what morons.
I will have to say if I was going to shoot my own livestock that was in someone else's yard, I would have let them know what was going on before I started shooting. Doesn't sound like they had a very good history. The people who owned the property may have decided to return fire when the shooting started .
James Madison: The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Mark Douglass
Old July 12, 2002, 04:46 AM   #10
notbubba

" One chicken was rushed to Parkway Animal Hospital where it died in surgery. "

Who is the lucky person that has to pay that bill???
Old July 12, 2002, 05:18 AM   #11
Guyon

If it were sunny CA, I figure this guy'd do some jail time. But surely they still have a modicum of sense down in sunny FL. I'd say this whacked-out neighbor owes the guy three free-range chickens and a turkey. I would have loved to see her daughter trying to resuscitate the chicken using CPR.
Old July 12, 2002, 06:05 AM   #12
CheapSeats

The idiocy of some people amaze me...like that 19 yr. old daughter.

May all of her assininity come back and bite her where the sun don't shine.

I may not agree with this person in entirety, particularly in the political party realm. But I have seen a lot of truth on these pages regarding the 2nd Ammendment:

http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/

The 2nd Ammendment of the U.S. Constitution is to keep the government in line...not the citizenry.

Who ever came to the dangerous conclusion that the government(s) had the right to interpret it FOR us?

Ever heard of the wolf guarding the henhouse? I know what! (ludicrous thought) Let's allow the wolf to determine for us how many chickens is normal to "lose" each night.

I am sure that the wolf will help us to save our chickens.
Old July 12, 2002, 08:59 AM   #13
DMK

"Daniel, a disabled veteran, admits that he lost his temper "

I'd say. Isn't a .357 a bit overkill for a chicken? Somebody needs to tell this guy about .22 mag.
Old July 12, 2002, 12:28 PM   #14
mrsMTN

Dang!
Old July 12, 2002, 12:56 PM   #15
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

God help me if that is not the most bizarre thing I have seen in a long time...
Old July 12, 2002, 01:09 PM   #16
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

"It's coming right at me!" shouted the man as he pulled the trigger in self-defense, reported South Park Herald.
Old July 12, 2002, 02:13 PM   #17
madmike

"The feral avians continued to approach. In fear for my life, I drew my legally owned weapon and pumped six quick warning shots into their centers of mass."
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com
Old July 14, 2002, 12:17 AM   #18
Redlg155

UPDATE....Saturday July 13th

Chicken killer flies the coop after state drops charges

DANIEL JACKSON THE NEWS HERALD

The State Attorney’s Office cleared Ron Daniel of animal cruelty charges Friday, three days after he was arrested for shooting three chickens and a turkey with a .357-caliber Magnum in his neighbor’s yard.
Assistant State Attorney Zachary Taylor filed a "no information" in the case, saying the state could not prove the incident was malicious. "It is not a crime for the owner of chickens to kill them when attempting to do so in a humane manner," he explained.
Daniel said he plans to get his gun back from the Bay County Sheriff’s Office on Monday.
After The News Herald reported his arrest on Wednesday, Daniel said the state attorney’s office called him for an interview, and people all over Bay County started calling him the Chicken Man.

"I’m not guilty of animal cruelty," said Daniel who raises the birds for food. "Now, everywhere I go people are asking me for fried chicken. They want me to open a chicken franchise."
Old July 14, 2002, 12:18 AM   #19
Redlg155

Cont...

Daniel shot the birds after they wandered onto the property of his neighbors, Sandra and Richard Lawrence. He said he’d been feuding with the Lawrence family because their daughter’s dog had killed some of his chickens.
Sandra Lawrence, who witnessed the shooting, said she feels she is now the laughingstock of Bay County, but she can’t find the humor in a man firing a gun in her front yard. She said Daniel shot the birds in an effort to intimidate her, after she asked him to get them out of her yard.
"I feel like our judicial system has failed us," she said. "I don’t even feel safe in my own yard anymore. People aren’t taking this seriously. We’re scared that it’s open season on us."
Daniel, a disabled veteran who raises chickens, ducks, quail and turkeys, said he got mad trying to catch the birds, and decided to have them for dinner instead. He got his gun and shot them in front of his neighbors.
Old July 14, 2002, 12:20 AM   #20
Redlg155

Cont..
The Lawrences’ 19-year-old daughter, Shonda, made an emergency call to the Humane Society that was answered by Bay County Animal Control and deputies, who took Daniel into custody. Two chickens and the turkey died immediately. One chicken was taken to Parkway Animal Hospital, where it was euthanized.
After he was released from jail Wednesday, Daniel told The News Herald he’d planned to make chicken and dumplings, but animal control took the chickens before he could get them back to the house. "They never knew what hit them," he said. "I’m one hell of a shot."
Richard Lawrence said he doesn’t care if Daniel kills his chickens, but he should do it on his own property. He said if he’d been home at the time of the incident, he’d have probably gone to jail too — for fighting.
"He never should have brought that gun down here," he said.
Old July 14, 2002, 12:22 AM   #21
Redlg155

Quote:
"I feel like our judicial system has failed us," she said. "I don’t even feel safe in my own yard anymore. People aren’t taking this seriously. We’re scared that it’s open season on us."

She will make someone a fine wife some day.

Good SHooting
RED
Old July 14, 2002, 05:03 AM   #22
gdhillard

One vegitarian supports The Chicken Man. Gary
Old July 14, 2002, 11:11 AM   #23
griz

I wonder if the "animal lover" made an emergency call to the humane society when her own friendly pooch attacked and killed a chicken?
Old July 14, 2002, 01:16 PM   #24
scorn

Really. The dog can kill a chicken for sport and that is okay (the dog is not plannin on eating it). But if the guy kills the chicken, planning to eat it, it is supposedly animal cruelty.
Old July 14, 2002, 01:49 PM   #25
Blackhawk

What a bunch of "who'da thunk it" to start the week! Thanks, Red!

Chicken & dumplings? After a .357 Magnum? Seems more like it would be feathers & dumplings....