The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 18, 2002, 06:34 PM   #1
hjk_rick

Official Boy Scout Rifle

Did the Boy Scouts ever have an official rifle? They've had one of just about everything else over the years.

We were talking about this at summer camp Tuesday night and nobody knew for sure so I said I'd check here.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old July 18, 2002, 09:11 PM   #2
Cosmoline

I remember using a single-shot .22 bolt action at summer camp, but can't recall what kind it was. Very fond memories of it, even though it was pretty well beaten up. I don't think it was "official" in any sense. I strongly suspect it was, like the horses we road, a hand-me-down donation or bargain purchase.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3
dZ

i dont think there is an "Official BSA rifle"
Quote:
In 1985, to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the BSA, two Remington rifles were produced, one celebrating Scouting in general and one celebrating Eagle Scouts, along with ammunition with a fleur-de-lis on each shell
http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/0...ookie%5Ftest=1

Rifle Shooting Merit Badge Requirements

Do the following:

Explain why BB and pellet air guns must always be treated with the same respect as firearms.

Describe how you would react if a friend visiting your home asked to see your or your family’s firearm(s).

Explain the need, use, and types of eye and ear protection.

Give the main points of the laws for owning and using guns in your community and state.

Explain how hunting is related to the wise use of renewable wild-life resources.

Explain the main points of hunting laws in your state and give any special laws on the use of guns or ammunition.

List the kinds of wildlife that can be legally hunted in your state.

Identify and explain the rifle sports shot in the Olympic Games. Identify places in your community where you could shoot these sports.

List the sources that you could contact for information on firearms and their use.

Do ONE of the following options:

Option A - Rifle Shooting (Modern Cartridge Type)

Identify the principal parts of a rifle, action types, and how they function.

Identify and demonstrate the three rules for handling a rifle safely.

Identify rifle ammunition parts and their function.

Identify seven different calibers of rifle ammunition. Explain which one you would use and why.

Identify and demonstrate the five fundamentals of shooting a rifle.

Identify and explain each rule for shooting a rifle safely.

Demonstrate the knowledge, skill, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a target from the bench rest position, using the five fundamentals of rifle shooting.

Identify the materials needed to clean a rifle.

Demonstrate how to clean a rifle safely.

Demonstrate the standing, kneeling, prone, and sitting positions.

Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a rifle.

Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a bench rest (supported) position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by quarter. Adjust sights to center the group on the target and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:

(1) A-32 target - 9, (2) A-17 or TQ-1 targets - 8, (3) A-36 targets - 6.

Option B - Air Rifle Shooting (BB or Pellet)

Identify the principal parts of an air rifle, action types, and how they function.

Identify and demonstrate the three rules for handling a rifle safely.

Identify various types of air rifle ammunition.

Identify different calibers of air rifle ammunition.

Identify and demonstrate the five fundamentals of shooting a rifle.

Identify and explain each rule for shooting an air rifle safely.

Demonstrate the knowledge, skill, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a target from the bench rest position, using the five fundamentals of rifle shooting.

Identify the materials needed to clean an air rifle.

Demonstrate how to clean an air rifle safely.

Demonstrate the standing, kneeling, prone, and sitting positions.

Discuss what points you would consider in selecting an air rifle.

Using a BB or pellet air rifle and shooting from a bench rest (supported) position, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter. Adjust sights to center the group on the target and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:

(1) BB rifle at 15 feet or 5 meters using TQ-5 targets - 8; (2) pellet air rifle at 25 feet using TQ-5 target - 8, 33 feet or 10 meters using AR-1 targets - 6.

Option C - Muzzle-loading Rifle Shooting

Discuss a brief history of the development of muzzle-loading rifle.

Identify principal parts of percussion and flintlock rifles and discuss how they function.

Demonstrate and discuss the safe handling rules of muzzle-loading rifles.

Identify the various grades of black powder and their proper use.

Discuss proper safety procedures pertaining to black powder use and storage.

Discuss proper components of a load.

Identify proper procedures and accessories used for loading a muzzle-loading rifle.

Demonstrate the knowledge, skill, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a muzzle-loading rifle on a range, including range procedure.

Shoot a target with muzzle-loading rifle using the five fundamentals of firing the shot.

Identify the materials needed to clean a muzzle-loading rifle safely.

Demonstrate how to clean a muzzle-loading rifle safely.

Identify the causes of a muzzle-loading rifle’s failing to fire and explain or demonstrate proper correction procedures.

Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a muzzle-loading rifle.

Using a muzzle-loading rifle of any caliber and shooting from a bench rest (supported) position, fire three groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by the base of a standard-size soft drink can. Center the group on the target and fire three groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:

(1) at 25 yards using NRA A-23 or NMLRA 50-yard targets - 8, (2) at 50 yards using NRA A-25 or NMLRA 100-yard targets - 8.

_
Old July 18, 2002, 10:13 PM   #4
dZ

http://12.45.93.27/scouting/003sct.jpg
Old July 19, 2002, 06:41 AM   #5
JIH

Quote:
Explain why BB and pellet air guns must always be treated with the same respect as firearms.
You could put your eye out, kid.

Quote:
Describe how you would react if a friend visiting your home asked to see your or your family’s firearm(s).
Hey! Dad just got a new Desert Eagle. He keeps it loaded in the drawer with all the sex toys! Let me show ya!

Quote:
Explain the main points of hunting laws in your state and give any special laws on the use of guns or ammunition.
The Man wants to keep us down.

Quote:
List the sources that you could contact for information on firearms and their use.
Old Crazy Red Head Ted down at the gunshop, a.k.a The Gunshop Commando. You can't miss him. He's in BDUs, a tactical vest, a gas mask, and a kevlar helmet! Oh yeah, and the internet!

Quote:
This is a .223. It's a MYTH. It's so weak if you were shot with it, it wouldn't matter! It won't even go through sheet rock!
This is a .308. IT WILL BLOW YOUR HEAD CLEAN OFF! You don't even have to shoot it. You can throw it at someone and tear off their ARM. It will shoot through the Hoover Dam!

Quote:
Identify the materials needed to clean a rifle.
Aw, heck... just go get the Sinclair catalog and buy one of each.
Old July 19, 2002, 08:46 AM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Oh, wow! Bring on that nostalgia - - -

Seems like it was some centuries ago - - -
I lived in El Paso, but we all went to Boy Scout camp in New Mexico. Only shooting we got to do was a game called Mo-Skeet-O. Some kind of Remington single shot bolt .22, SMOOTHBORE, shooting #12 rat shot at miniature clay birds. Lots of fun.Lots of stress on firearms safety.

In that era and geographical area, most of the boys had their own .22 rifles, or at least access to one. About the only stress on riflery was for the Marksmanship merit badge, and for providing small game for the communal pot.

No recollection of "official" guns of any type.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old July 19, 2002, 08:59 AM   #7
telsonman

when i got my rifle merit badge(back at summer camp), we had to shoot groups of 5 in an area less than a quarter. the rifles i believe were remington single shot .22s. the sites were off, but all you needed to know was to shoot at the same spot everytime. Of course, that was about 5 years ago. Im 18 now and an eagle scout.

jeff
Old July 19, 2002, 09:47 AM   #8
DonP

I'll Check my old Boy's Life collection

If there was an offical BSA rifle it will be advertised in one of my old Boy's Life issues. I'll go through my pile tonight and see if I can find any ads for one.

I'm sure it's a single shot bolt action .22, not sure which one though. Camp Betz (Berrien Springs, Michigan had the same rifle range every scout camp had. Heavy emphasis on safety and a retired Army First Sergeant running the range for a few hours each day. We all learned to understand US Army range commands when we were 11 years old.

The funny thing was we were all encourgaged to bring our own rifles, if we had them. I remember riding on the bus to camp with our old .22 pump, all the ammo was with our scoutmaster.

50 guys on the bus and about 15 of us with rifles leaning on the seat next to us just rolling down the road through Chicago, Indiana and half of Michigan. Richie Daley would have a heart attack! Once we got to camp the rifles were checked in at the "Trading Post" for the week and checked out every time we went to the range.

Imagine that, none of us went crazy and shot anything up.

Don P.
Old July 19, 2002, 06:34 PM   #9
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

When I got that Merit Badge I used a single shot Mossberg 22 rifle to qualify. As I recall it was one of the first badges I ever earned.
Old July 20, 2002, 04:42 AM   #10
chink

I never got the rifle merit badge at summer camp (hi sierra for all the people in the Santa Clara Country Polaris Chapter charter) but i nkow that we used .22 up there.

My dad won the rifle shoot for the adult leaders the first summer we were up there.

Summer camp was about how many merit badges you could get, not which ones you actually got

hel, help, I'm being repressed
Old July 20, 2002, 11:21 PM   #11
TheLastBoyScout

I m workin staff at Treasure Island Scout Res. (birthplace of the Order of the Arrow) this summer. The range has iron sighted marlin 880 single shot bolt actions (magazines of any size are an "evil feature" to the scouts. <bull___ imho>).
Personally, I think that since one of the original roles of scouting was to prep boys for the military, we should be using ARs or other military style weapons at longer ranges (I know it would be to much $$, but its my opinion).
Bringing personal firearms is a BIG "NO-NO". (though i wish for mine every night when i hear the brazen critters nosin aound outside my tent)
Does anyone else think there's a deeper meaning behind the fact there's now A BB GUN on the rifle shooting merit badge book??

I'm really interested in this, for obvious reasons, and i ll be back on my next day off.
Old July 21, 2002, 08:57 AM   #12
fiend

My friend got to shoot a full auto rifle in boy scout camp. lucky little kid!
Old July 22, 2002, 08:03 AM   #13
Kharn

TheLastBoyScout: I used to go to TI when I was in Scouts, Troop 71 from Doylestown, PA (made Eagle in '98). I much preferred Okanickun Scout Camp outside Doylestown, no chance of getting washed down river and the rifle and trap ranges were closer to camp. I did my Wilderness Survival night out at TI, and the bridge to Eagle Island was under water about an hour after we crossed due to the rain, fun night. Okanickun had an assortment of .22s, and two brand new 12Ga Remington 1100s for the trap range, but I dont recall any special edition guns.

Kharn