The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2002, 04:59 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Range Report: "Custom" Makarov....

Hello. A time back I bought a new, commercial Bulgarian Makarov for about $150 and then spent that amount again for the "Beast" slide, which was simply a new Bulgarian slide with Novak fixed sights added. The slide is then matte blued. To many, this didn't make sense, but I simply couldn't use the tiny sights that came on the pistol, although I could tell it would group.

The Pistol: Other than the slide w/sights and a Wolff conventional 19lb recoil spring rather than the factory 17 lb, the pistol's stock. The pistol came with the rubber stocks, but had the plastic ones in the package as well. I believe that the rubber stocks are by Pearce.

"Beast" slide front sight.

Rear sight.

From the top.

No action work has been done on the pistol and while smooth, the DA pull is heavier and the SA pull breaks surprisingly clean.

Ammunition Used:

?LVE "Makarov" 6 G ball, which I assume is about 95 grains. (1043 ft/sec)

Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ (1018 ft/sec)

Corbon +P 95 gr JHP (1098 ft/sec)

Hornady 95 gr XTP (937 ft/sec)

(The figures in italics are the averaged 10-shot velocities chronographed from this pistol @ 10 ft.)

Shooting: Let's just get this out of the way up front; there were zero malfunctions with any of the ammunition tried and the gun shoot much, much better than I expected.

The two bullseye targets on the left were fired standing w/2-hand hold at 10 yards and were all fired single-action. 15 rounds were fired at each. The top round is the "LVE" ball while the lower is the Fiocchi ball. The B27 center at the right was also fired at 10 yards and consisted of single-action singles fired as quickly as a sight picture could be obtained and the trigger pressed. "LVE" was used on the B27 target.

However, this pistol does not allow for Condition One "cocked & locked" carry so I fired 10 rnds the same way as above, but double-action.

I was very surprised at the results considering that while smooth, the DA pull is long.

It became obvious, that I'd underestimated this gun's capabilities as I'd chosen 10 yards for the test distance rather than the usual 15, 25, and 50 yard ranges.

Below is a 25 yard target fired with the same "LVE" ammunition. It was fired standing w/2-hand hold and consists of 20 shots.

With the JHPs (Corbon and Hornady), only 5-shot groups were fired @ 10 yards. Didn't have much of the stuff.

Either groups fine, but so has everything else so far!

Observations: The gun "shoots." This was my first "serious" efforts with this pistol and I was more than a little pleasantly surprised.

Though not a first-choice for defensive purposes, it is in the same general class as some of the .38 Special loads fired from 2" snubs and I find the heavy-for-caliber Makarov pistol much more fun to shoot than my S&W airweight snubs. It's easier to hit with as well.

Even though there are several 9x19mm pistols that are smaller as well as lighter, the Makarov is a reliable, accurate pistol that could serve for defensive use if called upon.

For me, I see it as a plinker and fun gun that is inexpensive, but not "cheap."

Best.

Last edited by Stephen A. Camp; September 5, 2002 at 07:37 PM.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:26 PM   #2
croyance

Good review. The sights make good sense to me - I hate little sights I cannot see. I also don't do so well with traditional semi-auto black on black sights. As a matter of fact, I was wondering if there are good sights to be put on J-frames. It is my only real objection to them - bad sights.
I have been enjoying your series of reports, they are concise and to the point. Unlike gun magazines, you do not take up excessive space describing what is generally known - some reports take a page to descibe basic 1911 features, for instance.
The pictures are also to the point. I dislike articles that go on about some feature and then don't show me in the next dozen photographs.
I am kind of curious about the purpose of your reviews. Sharing your notes as you go through your gunsafe? Probably not a bad thing for people to do if they have items in their collection they haven't shot for a while. If they teach shooting, these notes are very handy. Brushing up on writing skills? Yours have always seemed fine. Auditioning for a magazine?
In any case, enjoyable and good reads. Do you by any chance have one of those new Beretta U22 Neos? I'd like to get a review of that.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:36 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Thanks for the nice words. The reason I do it is two-fold and simple:

1. Back when I got started shooting over 30 years ago, a few seasoned shooters really helped me and gave me ideas as to what was REALLY needed on a pistol for good shooting, what was "sucker bait," and mainly helped me learn to shoot. I'm just trying to help others in an interest I really like.

2. I just like it.

The "reviews" I've been doing are on my own guns and therefore, guns I like. In a way, I guess they are backdoor recommendations.

Best.

Last edited by Stephen A. Camp; September 6, 2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:44 PM   #4
alamo

It is starting to look like the long awaited 10,000 Maks will be available soon. A month ago, they were still in Bulgaria according to the importer. I saw posting on 2 other forums today that Century Arms is expecting some this month. The importer, PW Arms, supplies them and other dealers like J&G Sales, SOG, etc.

Read up about them in the meantime:

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

http://www.makarov.com/makbasics.html
Old September 5, 2002, 09:50 PM   #5
MHOGAN

Great report Stephen. A gun magazine would like it. But what needs have you of money?

I want one. The 10,000 Maks has to be a myth. Right?
Old September 5, 2002, 09:54 PM   #6
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I could sure use the pay, but not at the cost of lying.

Best.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:57 PM   #7
alamo

It seems like a myth since they have been talked about since March of this year when someone posted about them on the Makarov forum after talking to PW Arms, the importer. I have talked to the importer personally about them (about 7 weeks ago) and so has another fella on the Makarov forum. They do exist, they just need to get them over here. The last word from them was that they should get here this month. Get yours while you can, hopefully very soon.
Old September 5, 2002, 10:22 PM   #8
Zundfolge

Damn ... I need to get the slide from my Makarov send into the boys at Makarov.com for the sight job

I'm sure I could shoot mine 10 times better then I do now with good sights.

Hey Steven, you still have the stock slide lying around?
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand

Last edited by Zundfolge; September 5, 2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old September 5, 2002, 11:43 PM   #9
deputy tom

Stephen,great report and what a fine firearm Your customized Mak turned out to be.I've gotta get one too!tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old September 5, 2002, 11:51 PM   #10
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, sir. Yes, I still have the slide, but reckon I'll hang onto the thing in case I need either it as a whole or decide to have some other kind of sights added.

Best.
Old September 6, 2002, 06:47 AM   #11
Ascot500

Stephen,

What target are you using at 25 yds?
I think with that group on a 25 yd slow fire target, your score would be about 175.
Seems pretty good in my book.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:15 AM   #12
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. It's just the NRA 25 yard slow fire pistol target.

Best.
Old September 6, 2002, 02:27 PM   #13
eyeballz

Very nice report you have there. I have a Russian IJ70 that will do about the same thing. Also very relieable handgun 1 failure in 1400rds.
Keep up the Great Work.

EBZ
Old September 6, 2002, 03:18 PM   #14
Paladin7

I think you have set the new standard for range reports around this place. Excellent work.

I have an EG Mak and the gun just plain shoots, even with the stock sights. Plus my trigger is really super smooth. The best part about these guns are that they are real quality, with a design that was meant to handle substandard ammo.

To all of you who don't have one, GET ONE. They are worth it, and the real good EG ones are drying up.

Paladin7
Old September 6, 2002, 03:43 PM   #15
alamo

The trigger on my EG Mak is very smooth too. I compared it to my Bulgarian and there is a big difference. The Bulgarian was unissued though and I've only put 108 rounds through it. Should get better when I shoot it more.
Old September 6, 2002, 04:13 PM   #16
denfoote

RANGE REPORT

Stephen,
Gee buddy, I could have told ya the same thing!! All ya had to do was ask!!

Welcome to the Makarov Collective!!

Quote:
Even though there are several 9x19mm pistols that are smaller as well as lighter, the Makarov is a reliable, accurate pistol that could serve for defensive use if called upon.

BTW, I have used my Makarov in a defensive situation!! Thank God I didn't have to fire it!! The fact that it was in my hand served to defuse the situation quite rapidly!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!