The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 6, 2002, 06:49 PM   #1
HKguy9

Roommates & Long Gun Storage

I am living in a place w/ another roommate in a few weeks. He's an alright guy but I don't know him to the point I can leave Bambi under my bed loaded with 7 rounds of Federal 00 Buck.

Right now long guns are in my SKB 'electric cello' case, locked and unloaded as I can't get to 'em if I had to in a hurry so I don't bother.

I may get a safe next year. How do you guys (especially w/ roommates, kids, or someone you don't trust 115% to leave a gun around) leave your long guns stored? When I get my safe, I am contemplating leaving both my shotgun and rifle in there condition 3.

Pistols are placed tactically (bedside and desk) with a round in the chamber.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:22 PM   #2
MeekAndMild

Skunk, contrary to popular mythology one can train kids to avoid playing with the family guns. As for room mates, there are room mates and then there are room mates. One has to use caution in the selection process and other things sort themselves out.

Then their are always the dingbats one's significant other sometimes invites over for 'ladies lunches' which is why I think locking cases and safes are a great idea. I trust my kids and I've trusted my former room mates before I got married, but I've never trusted a house full of bored women.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:28 PM   #3
NIGHTWATCH

The timing of this thread is uncanny. I just took in a roomate (had a room to spare for awhile). He came with excellent refrences and I dont have any reason to worry about the subject in question. Mainly because he does not know I have firearms. I intend to keep it that way.

Last edited by NIGHTWATCH; September 6, 2002 at 11:34 PM.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:31 PM   #4
paratrooper

I would think that first the idea of them NOT knowing that you have it is splendid . Second how about between the mattress and box spring ? Ready to rock and roll .
AMERICAN LEGION
U.S. PARATROOPER
Old September 6, 2002, 11:27 PM   #5
MBG

I am assuming you are asking about safe storage, and not keeping stuff good to go.

The first layer of defense is not to let him know you have them. Of course once that’s breached, it’s gone.

Beyond that, I have used two methods when I had roommates. First was to get a Brink’s fire safe (about 2 ½ ft tall and 200 lbs empty), and lock the bolts, trigger groups or other important bits away. The safe got bolted to something sturdy, and the stripped long guns stayed hidden in a closet. The fire safe is a good idea for handguns and important papers (checkbooks for example) as well.

The second method was to take an interior closet, declare it mine, and install a lockable solid core door with reversed hinges. (Subtle, I know.) It was not as good as a safe, but it deterred casual poking around, and added some resistance time to anyone trying to break in.

Both methods were very poor substitutes for the fact that I did not have a safe. That has since been remedied, much to my relief.

Marty
Old September 7, 2002, 06:25 PM   #6
imadork

Try Kryptonite flex cable, 15mm by 7' length, and Master EX shrouded padlocks or long shackle gate locks. You can put the cable through the action or trigger guard of rifles and lock them to your bed frame or other heavy furniture. long shackle padlocks work great for shotguns through the action. A keypad Sentry safe works great for handguns during the day. $20 for the cable and locks, $100 for the safe.
Old September 8, 2002, 10:28 PM   #7
Uncle Ethan

Skunk

Until you get settled and have a safe buy one of those corner mounted heavy guage sheet metal gun cabinets and bolt it to the studs in the wall. In the corner of your closet with a padlock they will be as secure as you can get with out a safe. They got little green faces here, not yellar.
Old September 9, 2002, 01:59 PM   #8
joeislove

I leave my AK leaning against the corner next to my guitar. The handguns are on one of my bookshelves, except for my carry piece.

My roommates and I have an agreement. I stay out of their stuff, they stay out of mine.
Old September 9, 2002, 02:15 PM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I stopped...

...living with people I can't trust around loaded guns.
Old September 9, 2002, 05:19 PM   #10
KSFreeman

Yeah, Skunk, room with guys that know what they are doing or know not to do anything.

When I had roomies (when dinosaurs walked the earf), Ranger Brade and Ranger Frodo knew not to touch my guns and I wouldn't touch theirs. We converted a broom closet into long gun storage room.

Cello case? That's funny, in grad skul in Chicago, I kept a couple of shoulder weapons in my guitar case, just in case (make it to Lake Michigan and swim to Whiting). When I had to move them, the doorman would always ask what kind of music I played. Da Blues, my man; nothing but the blues!
Old September 9, 2002, 05:43 PM   #11
Edward429451

I concur with Tamara. If you got to wonder about them, best keep looking for a roommate.
Old September 9, 2002, 05:51 PM   #12
Mike in VA

Tamara's advice is best, of course, but sometimes in skool you don't have as much choice.

I saw a thingie that was made of some kind of serious plastic that clam-shelled and locked around the action of a pistol. I think it was called the "life vest", or something like that, and then they came out with one for rifles/shotguns. I'm sure you could find one at Natchez or Cheaper-than-dirt. It covers the grip, ejection port , trigger, mag release, etc, so that just the butt and the barrel were exposed, Not expensive either, like $17-20. Keep the key on a chain around your neck, should be good to go. Stay safe, stripey.
Old September 9, 2002, 06:00 PM   #13
Uncle Ethan

Skunk

Hook up with that Korean Sniper, then your only problem will be your roommate borrowing your guns.
Old September 9, 2002, 06:00 PM   #14
Frohickey

How about putting your guns in your bedroom and changing the lock in your bedroom to a lockable lock?

And then, keep your door locked unless you are inside your bedroom.

SigSauer, if you are listening, MAKE A DOUBLE-STACK 10mm PISTOL!
Old September 10, 2002, 01:02 AM   #15
HKguy9

Quote:
Hook up with that Korean Sniper, then your only problem will be your roommate borrowing your guns.
I dunno if that's gonna work. Last Thurs I went to get some Korean tofu w/ my banjo student and I tried eating a little plate of kimchee but was sweating so much my glasses fogged up. I had to stop half way through

As for the roommate....me and another guy were supposed to stay together. He's from Oregon, his dad loves guns, and my buddy is the type that says "it's not camping if you don't have a gun", not a gun owner (yet) as he's just trying to make payments (art student).

We get small 2 bedroom apt in Irvine, but we invite someone on board who I'm a buddy with but not best friends with. Said new guy isn't a bad guy but I don't know if I can trust him around a loaded gun. My ex roommate (said new guy's old roommate) invited him to come to the range w/ me, so he knows I have guns and stuff.

I don't think he'll be nosy enough to go thru my stuff...but it's not like I trust him w/ my life either. Anyway, my Oregon buddy ended up dropping out of the deal because the commute was too much and I'm kinda stuck with this guy.

Oh well...we'll see what happens. I'm going to put a safe on order anyway. I'll probably leave my rifle and shotgun Condition 3 in there.
Old September 10, 2002, 07:40 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Get a safe...

Maybe you can trust your roomies, but what if they bring their friends over and you're not home?
Old September 11, 2002, 12:59 PM   #17
40ozflatfoot

I stopped taking chances under these circumstances. I put all my guns in public storage except my carry guns. All the rest, including ammo, reloading gear, etc., goes into a public storeroom, I keep the key, and tell no one what's where.

It's the only way to be sure.
Old September 11, 2002, 01:14 PM   #18
CZ Gunner

I'd be more concerned about them disappearing than being used -- if not by the roommate, by one of his friends he's told about them.

You should also realize that you are in an increased state for a mistaken I.D. shooting ... (unknown people coming and going at all hours, surprise visits, things going bump in the night, walk-ins, etc.)

Good luck and be safe!

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old September 11, 2002, 02:45 PM   #19
BigG

What Tamara said.

If you would be curious about a loaded Glock casually sitting on the coffee table, you will not be welcome in my house.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old September 11, 2002, 08:38 PM   #20
Foxy

BigG,

Curious or concerned? I'd love to clear the Glock and show much curiousity about it.. I'm really drooling over a G19 or G26 as a CCW...

Skunk,

I have two roommates. One is a gun freak; the other .. well, I took him out shooting and was fine, but I wouldn't want him getting pissed off (He has a temper problem) and taking my guns. I bought one of the safes from Wal-Mart for $150, bolted it to my apt wall, and bought another safe (A Sentry? The kind at Staples mainly used for securing documents.. has two 1" thick bars on each side of the door) that I use to hold my pistols, and the trigger group/bolt group from my long guns.