The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2002, 11:45 AM   #1
Zak Smith

CZ-75B-SA Pictures

Here are the results of my first attempt to take some halfway decent photographs of pistols.

The subject is my CZ-75B-SA in 9x19. It has the following modifications:
  1. a set of CZ rubber grips,
  2. a set of "PT" Night Sights, installed by CZ-USA,
  3. a "Champion" steel trigger, and trigger job, installed by Mike at CZ-USA, and
  4. strips of 3M "skateboard tape" around the frontstrap. The discrete thin strips bubble less than one big piece of tape.

(link to super-large version)

There were a few more pictures in this series. Here's a link to the entire sequence.

Pictures were taken with an Olympus Stylus Epic (no zoom), with the flash off, at about 10-16" distance from subject. The main light source was 4:30pm sunlight streaming into my office window, along with a halogen lamp.

Enjoy.

-z
Old November 18, 2002, 12:59 PM   #2
Grayrider

Nice...

Smithz,

You are a cruel, cruel man. Now I want one even more! I think I need a 40 though. If I get a 9 I might neglect my BHP!

If you don't mind my asking, what did the sights and trigger job set you back? I have tried Mike's triggers and they are amazing!

GR
Old November 18, 2002, 01:16 PM   #3
Kahrma from Shooters

Could you PLEASE show a good picture of the sights?

I need a side/profile view and one from the back! That looks nice. Does the rear sigh fit in the stock dove? What model # are those sights???
Old November 18, 2002, 02:50 PM   #4
Caseless

Good pictures. Could you show the sights more clearly?
Is that an extended safety on the 75SA? I have trouble reaching the safety on my 75B one-handed. Does the 75SA safety work better for someone with an average-sized hand?
Old November 18, 2002, 02:51 PM   #5
Kahrma from Shooters

HURRY! This old boy can use a pair!!!!!!!!!
Old November 18, 2002, 02:53 PM   #6
Zak Smith

Greyrider - The sights were $98 delivered to my door from PT. In my experience, the tritium vials on the PT sights are dimmer than those in Trijicons. Also, the PT rear sight is quite small. The trigger job and sight install was $115, including return shipping to my door. Turn around time was about 35 days.

Kahrma - Sorry, I can't provide any additional pictures right now because I take the pics with a regular 35mm camera and have the film developed onto a PhotoCD. You should be able to see a side profile in the enlarged version of the second picture, and the rear is almost visible in the enlarged version of the third picture. These are the regular CZ-75B sights from PT - the same ones you get if you order from CZ-USA. They mount right into the stock dovetail. No milling of the slide is required because the bottom of the main part of the sight goes above the rib on the top of the slide.

-z
Old November 18, 2002, 02:56 PM   #7
Zak Smith

Caseless - Sorry, no more pics available right now. The safety comes "stock" on the -SA models. It is extended, more like an extended 1911 type safety. Very easy to flick off and shoot high-thumb. It is ambi, however.

For non-"B" models, that is, pre-B CZ-75's and 85 Combats, I recommend having a gunsmith mill your slide and install a set of LMC Novak sights. Stephen Camp had this done and it looks better, in my opinion.

-z
Old November 18, 2002, 03:07 PM   #8
Zak Smith

Here are some other views of the rear sight:

Large image #2100

Large image #299

Also, if you click on the images in my original post, it will take you to the super-large versions at about 1500x1000 pixels. The will show more detail.

Hope this helps.

-z
Old November 18, 2002, 03:08 PM   #9
Kahrma from Shooters

Thanks for the infoSmithz. the problem with milling for Novaks is you have to fill a spot on the slide. I was looking for something EASY for my pre "B".
Old November 18, 2002, 03:11 PM   #10
Kahrma from Shooters

Thanks again, I really think those look sweet for a drop in pair. Very nice!
Old November 18, 2002, 03:14 PM   #11
Zak Smith

Yeah, it's not easy to do the Novaks. It'll cost several hundred dollars, and you still have to refinish the slide. As far as I know, it can only be done to the CZ's without the firing pin block, too. If I go Novak's on one of my non-B models, I'll probably get the slide hard-chromed while I'm at it, since it will need refinishing anyway.

Besides the expensive Novak's option, I'll probably go just plain-jane Trijicon green-dot night sights on my next CZ.

-z
Old November 18, 2002, 03:22 PM   #12
Grayrider

Info..

Smithz,

Thank you for the cost info. Not to bad considering the quality of the trigger. The one I handled felt much like my newly arrived CZ IPSC ST. Absolutely breaks like glass.

I like that safety as well, as it is the same one on the IPSC ST. It sits just right and is easy to disengage. Not sure what they run extra, but should be well worth it.

GR
Old November 18, 2002, 06:35 PM   #13
Bahadur

Where can one obtain the 3M "skateboard" tape?
Old November 18, 2002, 06:48 PM   #14
Zak Smith

Try Home Depot or a hardware store for the grip tape.
Old November 19, 2002, 07:35 PM   #15
Zak Smith

Here are some close-ups of the rear sight:

-z