The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2002, 07:46 AM   #1
Thirties

Savage 1907

Going to pick up a nice one of these when I next get down to the gun shop holding it for me (.32; steel grip).

Has anyone here any experience shooting and maintaining these guns? I was wondering if you could cive me any tips . . .

Thank you.
Old November 19, 2002, 09:38 AM   #2
BigG

There is two different Savages, one looks like it has a spur hammer but I believe it's a refinement of the older model. Both models are striker fired despite having the cocking piece that looks like a hammer.

They are a locked breech design with rotating barrel designed by Searle. A 45 caliber version was entered in the competition that resulted in adoption of the Colt/Browning 45 Auto.

The Savage has a double stack mag and holds ten rounds IIRC. Quite a lot for a pistol made back then.

The takedown is something I'd have to have one in my hands to remember. It has something to do with turning the rear part of the slide with the cocking piece in it. Somebody here will be able to give you detailed directions and maybe even a picture.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 19, 2002, 11:06 AM   #3
Thirties

BG, thanks. The one I'm getting has a small commander hammer looking cocking lever. I've read all I can get my hands on regarding the gun. And it's takedown is well covered in one of my take-down books. It is the action that interested me in the pistol. I saw it for sale and decided to add it to my collection of "between the wars" .32 caliber pistols.

I was wondering if any of you have tips on use and care of this gun?

By the way, I'm going to get rid of a 1907 Dreyse .32 to make room for the Savage. Anyone interested?
Old November 19, 2002, 11:11 AM   #4
johnwill

The Savage is a piece of cake to take apart. I just had one of mine out shooting the other day. Remove the magazine, and retract the slide all the way back and lock it with the safety. Grasp the rear cocking piece with the hammer and squeeze the hammer slightly and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise when looking at the rear of the gun. It will then slide right out, also holding the hammer cocked with your thumb. Hold the slide and release the safety to remove the slide, barrel, and spring. Here's a site will all you ever wanted to know about the Savage, nice little guns.

Savage Pistols

Here's the late model 1907 with the spur hammer, I also have an early one with the rowel hammer, and the 1917, which has a different shape to the grip.

Old November 19, 2002, 12:15 PM   #5
Thirties

Thank you so much. I'm in hog heaven, Savage hog heaven!
Old November 19, 2002, 12:48 PM   #6
Kahrma from Shooters

I was going to suggest that site also, he's a real nice guy to talk too BTW.

Also if that is the origanal steel grip and belongs to the gun, you may not want to shoot it! They are rare and the steel grips were the very first models!

What did you pay for it again???????????????????
Old November 19, 2002, 01:21 PM   #7
Thirties

Paid $199. I think they are steel grips. They felt like it.
Old November 19, 2002, 08:54 PM   #8
Old Fuff

As has been pointed out, you have one of the early guns. Around 209,800 were made between 1907 through 1926, and the first 10, 980 had the metal grips. It was the first double-column magazine pistol manufactured in the United States, and it held 10 cartridges. The company advertised it as “10 shots quick!” and Bat Masterson of wild west fame wrote a booklet expounding on its virtues. Buffalo Bill Cody and Teddy Roosevelt both owned one.

Never carry it with the striker (hammer) down on a loaded chamber. It could easily fire. Either go cocked and locked, or with the chamber empty. The latter is recommended. You’ll find the recoil is very mild because if the Searle design. Have fun.
Old November 20, 2002, 07:13 AM   #9
Thirties

Fellows, thanks for the messages. I can't wait to pick this gun up.
Old December 27, 2002, 05:30 PM   #10
Thirties

I finally picked up my Savage last Saturday. It is even better than I had remembered. It indeed has the metal grips. The serial no 78xx puts it in 1909 manufacture year. Gun is in very good shape, takedown was fine (no hardened oil), magazine works fine. Gun shoots fine, and even accurate if you take time to really see those tiny sights.

Recoil is noticably milder than my CZ083 .32acp, and this is due to the gun's action, no doubt.

The gun is a joy. Here is a photo, although it's a bit yellow due to low light indoors.

Thanks again for your info . . . maybe we can carry this over to The High Road forum, or elsewhere . . .
Old December 27, 2002, 07:27 PM   #11
Old Fuff

You're new toy seems to be in exceptionally good shape. Enjoy it, and the history behind it - but be careful to never lower the striker on a loaded cartridge, or to carry the pistol when the striker/firing pin is resting on a loaded cartridge.

Now you can say you own a pistol simular to ones owned by Teddy Roosevelt, Bat Masterson and Buffalo Bill Cody - that's pretty good company.
Old December 28, 2002, 06:49 AM   #12
Thirties

Thanks for emphasizing the striker position. I read the warnings and am aware of the danger. This is not a gun i will be "carrying". In fact I do not carry a gun at all. I am a plinker and a target shooter. What carrying I do is from the house into the woods and back. I never walk around with a round in the chamber.

I posted this thread at the following site for those who want to follow . . .

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...=&threadid=712

I'm very grateful for all the advice I've received here at TFL for the past year or so I've been a member here.