The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 8, 2002, 11:25 AM   #1
Madison_Blue

Handgunning with Carpal Tunnel

Well, its' started. After working for fifteen years as carefully as I could in the IT industry the first symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome have begun in earnest in BOTH my wrists (although a bit more in my shooting hand).

I've found over the past month or so that shooting my 6" Smith 686 for only a few full-house rounds is enough to start my fingers tingling and my wrists hurting. However so far shooting 9mm and .45 ACP is okay. It doesn't bode well for the future, though.

Is anyone else dealing with this situation? How do you cope? Any exercises, braces, loads, etc you need to use?
Old December 8, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2
Sisco

I've got no experience with your problem, though I have shot carp in a tunnel. Sorry about that.
Have you tried a wrist brace?
Old December 8, 2002, 12:31 PM   #3
capbuster

I have had some results with taking anti imflamatory medication such as aspirin,ect. on a daily basis and using a hand exercisor with either hand as I drive to work each morning. It is a hard pill to take but you may have to eventually consult your medical expert and see what your options are. Good luck!
Old December 8, 2002, 01:21 PM   #4
Dave T

I have it in both hands but the right (strong hand) was the worst. I never noticed it much when shooting but the repetive motions of reloading and cleaning handguns really bothered me.

I eventually had the sugery done on the right hand and it has eliminated the problem for the most part. The left has not gotten worse so I'm hoping that is a good sign.

I now shoot full bore 357 Magnums, 44 Special 7 Magnum and 45 Colt revolvers with no noticable difficulty. As with you, I never noticed it with my semiautos (mostly 45 ACP).

Good luck!
Old December 8, 2002, 01:27 PM   #5
pax

I've been fortunate; so far mine has been kept under control with excercises, Advil, and muscle rubs.

For excercise possibilities, see http://www.mydailyyoga.com/yoga/rsi.html or http://www.orthohelp.com/exercts.htm , or just run a search for "carpal tunnel exercises."

As for shooting, stretch out really good beforehand and make sure your muscles are all warmed up. Make sure and shake the tension out of your hands and wrists in between shots, too. What you want to avoid is getting your muscles all bunched up and letting them stay that way.

Sometimes I use a little IcyHot salve on the underside of my forearms before shooting. It stinks like crazy, but helps warm the muscles up before an extended range session.

I haven't used a brace yet, so I dunno if it would make any difference at the range. I'd be afraid to wear one just for the range, since my practice is all geared toward self defense. I'd hate to find that my muscle memory was depending upon something that wasn't there in a crisis.

Free internet medical advice, worth every dime you paid for it.

pax

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. -- Mark Twain
Old December 8, 2002, 01:41 PM   #6
wolfman97

First, you may want to do more research on carpal tunnel syndrome. I remember reading some recent research that said it isn't due to being in IT jobs.

I have known a number of people who claim they got great, if temporary, relief from DMSO. It is like a liniment you just dab on to the spot that hurts. For some injuries it is absolutely miraculous. It opens up the blood vessels and lets the body heal itself. You can often put it on a bruise and watch the bruise disappear.

My wife fell down the stairs once and sprained her ankle. Within minutes it started to swell up like a balloon. We put some DMSO on it and thirty minutes later she was walking normally. That night we went bowling.

The most dramatic example I saw was a friend of mine who went skiing and, when he got off the ski lift, it hit him in the elbow. It caused a blood clot that covered his entire arm from shoulder to fingers. His arm literally turned a deep blue-black. His arm swelled up and he couldn't even button his sleeve. The doctor told him to just wait two or three weeks and it would go away. We went out at lunch one day and got some DMSO and just spread it on his arm with a Q-tip. An hour later, the place where we had put the DMSO was completely normal, while the rest of his arm was still black. He went home that night and covered the rest of his arm. By the next morning, his arm was completely back to normal.

It also works on arthritis, paper cuts, and most traumatic injuries. They have done experiments where they severed the spines of lab rats and treated them with DMSO. The rats regained function in their legs.

The stuff is really cheap, too. I bought an eight ounce bottle that lasted me and my family more than ten years. All you need is a few drops on the end of a Q-tip.

You can buy it at http://www.dmso.com There is a lot of info on the net on it so you can do your own search. Unless you drink the stuff it is quite safe, especially considering that you only use a few drops at a time.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:47 PM   #7
Sisco

I know a lot of people will swear by DMSO but keep in mind it is not approved for human use.
Local HS football coach with a winning record for several years was released for using it on players.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:52 PM   #8
Waitone

Sorry to hear about your affliction. It is indeed a pain if you use your hands.

My suggestions:

--stretch your hands before shooting. Make sure they are warm since circulation can be an issue.

--Aspirin, Motrin, etc is good. Motrin seems to work best for me. Note: ask your doctor about using a heavier dose than in printed on OTC labels. Standard OTC doses does nothing for me. Heavier does work much better.

Vibration causes carpal tunnel to flare up. Take a look at the grip you use. Consider a shock reducing grip such as come standard on Taurus revolvers. Consider a cushioned shooting glove.

Limit the number of shots in a string befire stopping and flexing your hands.

When I was going through the hassle, my doctor told me of a working theory developing about the cause of carpal tunnel. Instead of repetitive stress CT may have been caused by repeated blow to the heels of the hands particularly as children. Such as kids falling down and breaking their fall with hands. Anyhow, if the problem is caused by blows to the heel of the hand, grips and gloves become more important.

My problems were resolved with surgery.

Good luck!
Old December 8, 2002, 02:03 PM   #9
Madison_Blue

Thanks for all the advise, folks! My doctor has told me that its' my call for surgery and I'm looking into it!
Old December 8, 2002, 03:48 PM   #10
45Rookie

Madison_Blue-
It seems that you may possibly be a victim of CTS. Waitone has made very good suggestions, stretching, analgesics and changing the grip on your high powered magnums.

CTS is started from repeated flexion. The tendons of the flexors in your wrist become inflammed and the carpal tunnel becomes smaller. The tendons become bigger with inflammation and begin to press on your median nerve. This "pushing" causes the symptoms such as tingling and numbness, pain, or even weakness.

Here are some following suggestions that may help if you already have done so. Revamp you workstation. Use a egonomic keyboard that doesnt keep you wrists in flexion at all times, a trackball, or a mouse that is easy on the wrists. Stretch your forearms and wrists every hour. There is a difference between a stretching sensation and pain. With pain stop all activites immediately. You may try soft tissue massage on the flexors of the wrist.

My favorite is conservative care. Surgery usually involves cutting the flexor retanaculum. A sheath that surrounds the wrist. This will allow more room for the median nerve, but with all surgeries a degree of scare tissue will usually form. This scare tissue may or may not be severe. If enough scare tissue forms the median nerve may be encroched upon again. This will lead to signs and symptoms of CTS again.

Try stretches at work, minize continous typing, use different equipment more suited to your workstation and job demands. You can even supplement you diet with Vitamin B as its function is to help support the nervous system.

I am not saying dont go with surgery, do what you feel is best. Stay informed.

As with all things this is just information. Cosult an MD or a conservative care doctor for best results.

I hope that this information helps.

45R
Old December 8, 2002, 09:09 PM   #11
Madison_Blue

45R, thanks for the good advise! Much appreciated.
Old December 8, 2002, 09:45 PM   #12
Blackhawk

Madison_Blue,

Purely by accident, I discovered that eating one pomegranate per day took care of long standing pain from "oldtimersdisease" in joints and hands.

Unfortunately, they're only in season from about October through December.

Told two friends similarly afflicted about it, and they reported similar results within a week.

Doesn't hurt to try....
Old December 8, 2002, 10:16 PM   #13
45Rookie

BlackHawk just reminded me that Bromaline is a natural enzyme that is found in pineapples that can be used as an anti-inflammatory and is available at your local GNC. So you dont have to wait for pomegranate to be in season.

Bromaline wont destory your stomach or liver either.

DO NOT CONFUSE WITH BROMALINE THE MEDICATION
BROMALINE

Description: Seldane-D (terfenadine and pseudoephedrine)

Madison if you need more information your welcome to PM me or shoot me an email.

45R

Disclaimer: Check with an Doctor or Dietion as always before you decide to take any supplements.

Last edited by 45Rookie; December 9, 2002 at 12:31 AM.
Old December 8, 2002, 10:59 PM   #14
Blackhawk

45Rookie,

Hey, tell all of us about that stuff. I'm dreading not being able to get pomegranates next month...!
Old December 8, 2002, 11:35 PM   #15
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I'm contending with arthritis and fairly manageable computer wrist syndrome.

Exercise is a big help. I'm painting the interior of my house these days, and the assortment of hand tasks alleviates some of the repetitive stress. I find it helps to do upper back and shoulder exercises.

A fellow TFLer recommended cider vinegar pills. I'd never heard of such a thing, but saw them in a grocery for about $5.50, and figured I'd give them a try. Two in the morning and two at supper time are a help.

If I've been putting in lots of keyboard time, I find it helps to go to the range and clean a gun or two. I think the change of pace is good for my wrist. For what it's worth, 90% of my shooting is done with .22s and/or light target reloads. I can handle full house .44 magnum loads all right, but more than about twenty rounds' worth begins to become painful unless I switch back to target loads for awhile.

Aspirin helps sometimes, and so does Aleve.
Old December 9, 2002, 12:19 AM   #16
45Rookie

http://www.ultrarunners.info/News1-00.htm

This link provides a little more information about the bromaline enzyme. Its just an enzyme found in pineapples that help with inflammation.

DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF BROMALINE THE MEDICATION

BROMALINE

Description: Seldane-D (terfenadine and pseudoephedrine)

For joints you can take Glucosamine-Chondroitins to help with joint function. The stuff is rather expensive though, but some people swear by it.

Try what works for you.

Disclaimer: Check with an Doctor or Dietion as always before you decide to take any supplements.

45R
Old December 9, 2002, 01:49 AM   #17
Blackhawk

45Rookie,

Interesting. Wonder if munching on fresh or canned pineapple has any positive effect. Seems that the heat from the canning process would kill any enzymes....

Guess I'll experiment with it when the pomegranates disappear.
Old December 9, 2002, 01:56 AM   #18
45Rookie

BlackHawk-
I nearly fell off my bed laughing. I guess I should have been more specific. The Bromaline that you buy in the nutrition store is in a pill forum, saves you from having to eat a ton of pineapples.

45R
Old December 9, 2002, 03:01 AM   #19
Bill Adair

Madison,

Carpal tunnel surgery has come a long way in the past few years.

My wife had the old fashioned surgical procedure some years ago, and it took some healing time, but she is pain free now.

Now days, it's like micro surgery, and has much faster recovery time than the invasive surgery of years ago. They punch a small hole in the heel of your hand, and open the carpal tunnel with a file like instrument. Most patients can resume normal activities almost immediately after the new surgery.

If you can afford the surgery, you should discuss it with your physician.

Best of luck.

Bill
Old December 9, 2002, 10:13 AM   #20
Blackhawk

Quote:
I nearly fell off my bed laughing. I guess I should have been more specific. The Bromaline that you buy in the nutrition store is in a pill forum, saves you from having to eat a ton of pineapples.
That's great! I love getting a good laugh!

I understood about pills versus fresh, but enzymes are delicate, and heat renders them ineffective. Making pills requires that thier ingredients be biologically inert if their source is natural instead of cultured, and that usually involves "heat sterilization", which whacks enzymes.

If they're in fresh pineapple, that's how I'd prefer to get them....
Old December 9, 2002, 01:30 PM   #21
Cato

This book has helped me A LOT: "End Your Carpal Tunnel Pain Without Surgery: A Daily Program to Prevent and Treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" by Kate Montgomery
Old December 9, 2002, 02:04 PM   #22
retiredsquid

I do not have CTS, but have a pretty severe injury to the median nerve in both hands. For arthritis I take Celebrex twice daily. For the median nerve issue I take a very heavy dose of Gabapentin (neurontin) 3X daily.

I also have wrist braces that help when the pain is severe and medication does not take care of it.

I often wear a pair of Uncle Mike's shooting gloves when shooting heavy magnum loads.

I hope the surgery, if you opt for it, improves your situation.
Good luck to you.
Rich
Old December 9, 2002, 02:26 PM   #23
schild

Celebrex=wonder drug.
I lived with CT for about 25 years, had the surgery and fixed the problem in 23 minutes(surgery only requires a local, you are awake and talking to the Dr. ) The hand is useable in a few days, no pain after first day. My workmans comp settlement was close to $20,000/hand.
Old December 9, 2002, 10:42 PM   #24
RANash

Madison,

I heartily recommend a good Chiropractor for CTS and related problems! Mine was severe and my wife's was worse. All gone with no surgery!

Before you dismiss this, I used to scoff at chiropractors. All a bunch of quacks, I thought. But there are chiropractors and then there are chiropractors, if you know what I mean. In other words, some of quacks and careless goofballs and some are careful, scientific, and skillful.

I have gotten to know a great guy, NRA member, who is very scientific in his approach. He uses a technique called the Gonstead method, which is very careful and studied. And he has worked wonders for my wife and myself.

For more information:
http://www.gonstead.com/
Old December 10, 2002, 02:52 AM   #25
gunorthopod

I'm in the business.Find an orthopaedic surgeon who will inject the carpal tunnel with a corticosteroid.Frequently this will relieve the pressure on the median nerve by diminishing the inflammation and the attendant increase in carpal tunnel pressure.If this is ineffective,the surgery,if done correctly,has a high probability of significantly relieving or curing the problem.Good luck.