The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2002, 04:40 AM   #1
ROSANGHAL

Engagement rings......

I went to the Timonium MD custom knife show this weekend and saw the Jones Bros. They are custom knife makers and make sweet blades. But something caught my eye on their table that wasn't a blade but I thought it was pretty cool. They called them "Engagement rings". I picked two of them up.

They have two styles and both of them are made out of Titanium. The first style which is the one I picked up has two small pointed prongs in the shape of a "V" that you can wear facing out or in. If you were to wear them in they could be used to inflict pain on a grab or capitalize on a pressure point technique. If you wear them facing out they can be used to leave a nasty looking "V" shaped gash in someones head, if they were misbehaving .

The Jones Bros. said that they can't take credit for making this because it was an old Japanese design they saw in a book. Either way it hurts when used right.

I feel the best finger to wear this type of ring is on the middle finger. If one were to wear the prongs facing out when making a fist and have it on the normal ring finger, it may help the person wearing it get a boxers break. That and throwing a punch and trying to land the ring finger first just feels wrong, to me at least. If the ring were to worn on the middle finger you wouldn't have to adjust the way you punch to utilize the prongs. If you were to wear them on the index finger you may run the risk of having the prongs slide to the side facing towards the thumb. The only way you'd be able to use the prongs then is by an underhanded hammer fist or something like that. But even then the prongs will still have the ability to shift and move about around the finger. If it were on the middle finger the prongs would be confined by the index finger and ring finger so it wouldn't go any further than the fingers beside the middle one. Just my thoughts on that.

Here's a photo of the two I picked up from them.

Unforutnately my lighting doesn't show how deep the purple anodizing is on the top ring.

Here's their website address:
http://www.customknives.com/jonesbrothers

They don't have the rings listed if you're interested but if you ask them about the rings I'm sure they could give you more info on them and more on it's background than I did. They also have other tools they've been working on for self defense situations.

Ross T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc120053.jpg (86.6 KB, 806 views)
Old December 13, 2002, 04:47 AM   #2
ROSANGHAL

Here's a photo of the other style that a friend of mine purchased. It works just like the pronged or spiked ones but has sharp checkering on it.

Ross T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jonescheckengagering.jpg (123.7 KB, 532 views)
Old December 13, 2002, 09:33 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Cute, but...

Seems it would take an extensive education program to make an adult safe with them.

Or they would be using old habits with hands and shredding clothing and bodies inadvertantly.

Sam
Old December 13, 2002, 02:54 PM   #4
ROSANGHAL

Sam

I can't comment on the checkered ring but the spiked ring, I can.

The spikes on the rings aren't super sharp that they wouldn't shred clothes. You'd need force to shred anything really. Even grabbing onto someones forearm forcfully, I find, doesn't break the skin but if thrashing were to occur from the one being grabbed it may cause some nicks. A slap with, the spikes, facing in or a closed fisted punch with the ring facing outward I'm sure would do a lot more damage but how often do you slap or punch someone, with force inadvertantly?

Conscious thought on wearing the rings would have to be there for sure. But, with all tools of self defense there is going to have to be some educational program to be efficient with them.

Ross T.

Last edited by ROSANGHAL; December 13, 2002 at 06:10 PM.
Old December 13, 2002, 03:10 PM   #5
sm

In another life...

Blank mountings are available in Gold and Silver. All one had to do, at the request of the customer, was to 'cut the design'. Sometimes add a small diamond.
Bouncers
bikers
undercover
pimps

customers request of course, "unique style" "something different"...etc
Old December 13, 2002, 08:53 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Thanks for the addendum ROSANGHAL

Sam
Old December 13, 2002, 09:06 PM   #7
ronin308

Here is the traditional Japanese version:

http://www.bugei.com/ushop/index.cgi...m&ItemID=IT369
Old December 14, 2002, 04:10 AM   #8
bela

Ring

This is not very new.
Hundred years ago some people in Mid-Europe used a similar device..
Old December 14, 2002, 10:59 PM   #9
Betty

Actually, I like it as a piece of jewelry. I love silver. It would look really cool if they designed it so it looked like a clawed animal paw reaching out.

I've got rings that open up for "poison" or whatever you want to put in it. Not that I've ever used it for that purpose. I used to wear a lot of rings, so I imagine the combo was like wearing a cluster of fancy knuckles. (My brother found that out once - in our younger years we got into fist fights all the time - my class ring opened up his lip). If you're landing a punch, I figure every "extra" bit can help.

Middle finger, eh? Think they make that in a size 5?
Old December 15, 2002, 10:32 AM   #10
Barry Jones

Hi Guys!

I am the maker of the "Engagement Rings" that Ross posted. Thank you all for your comments and compliments. I appreciate it very much.

Like was mentioned before, the hooked design is not new. It is just my interpretation of an old Japanese fighting ring. There is one major difference between them. The hooks on my ring are in line with the body of the ring while the old Japanese ones were perpendicular. The concept is still the same though. It is designed to grab clothing and skin to enhance grip while grappling with your opponent. The hooks also are excellent for slapping techniques, especially in the facial area. You can hook the lips, nose, ears, or eyes of your opponent. You can use this ring for pressure point techniques also.

The checkered faced ring is meant to be used as a punching weapon but the checkering does allow for grip enhancement as well. You can use slapping techniques with it too. The checkering will scrape skin rather well.

My "Engagement Rings" are primarily meant as weapons. They sometimes can pass as jewelry (flat faced checkered one) too. As with any weapon, it is up to the owner/possessor to use them responsibly.

Ross,
Thanks for the post, buddy.

runt of the litter,
Size 5?????? Sure, I could do that.