The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

View Poll Results: Yes or No
Yes 5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30, 2002, 07:25 PM   #1
HankL

Why not cut off all post at the closing announcement date?

A simple yes or no poll here. After Rich's announcement that TFL would become an archive on or about 1-1-03 our archive has swelled with numerous post that really do not mirror what this forum has been all about. What would you think about all of the post except the Farewells be excluded from the archive of The Firing Line?

Hank Lampe
Old December 30, 2002, 08:37 PM   #2
BigG

I tried to vote Yea but the &*(&$#@ thing told me my session was invalid. Some a the posts after Rich's announcement became kinda maudlin.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 30, 2002, 10:48 PM   #3
Kaylee

I disagree. I don't like the idea of culling out threads like that.. besides the hurt feelings some might get, it's a little too revisionist for my taste.

That said... I'd not argue at all against one last sweep of the "farewell, my brothers" threads off to the "Farewells" forum.

-K
Old December 30, 2002, 10:48 PM   #4
AR-10

I think that would be a good idea.

A fair percentage of posts other than the "fairwell" stuff are just spam. One more shot at the 9mm/.45-Glock/1911 rehash.
Old December 31, 2002, 12:24 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah, some of the posts are maudlin. Some are more than a little over the top.

But they're still a part of TFL, which has been a big part of our firearms lives.

Let everyone suffer in their own way. If they express it, so be it.

If there's anything that those posts DO show to people, it's how deeply we believe in our Second Amendment rights, and the vehicles we use to express our beliefs.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 31, 2002, 10:52 AM   #6
trapshooter

I agree with Kaylee and Mike Irwin. Sweep into the 'Farewell' forum as appropriate, but leave it as it ends tonight.

Some are more articulate and polished than others, some have more style, but one of the tenets of TFL was that everyone could have thier say, within the confines of civility.

Why change now?