The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 4, 2000, 01:30 PM   #1
Oatka

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky...ke_gun_b.shtml

Make a gun for the border
Drug runners take aim at officers
guarding U.S. boundaries

By Jon E. Dougherty
© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

As illegal immigration worsens along the nearly 2,200-mile border between the United States and Mexico, another more deadly risk faces today's Border Patrol force: the prospect of being gunned-down at any time by increasingly ambitious and dangerous drug runners.

Besides the Border Patrol, federal officers of many stripes have become targets for drug lords who are offering rewards, reportedly as high as $200,000, for every U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency officer or other federal agent trying to keep the twin tides of illegal drugs and immigrants from flooding the states.

Well-financed and heavily armed, increasingly drug smugglers out of Mexico are "criminals who have proven they will resort to violence to protect their business interests," said Fox News on Friday, noting that violent assaults against federal agents along the southwest border have increased from 156 five years ago to 500 last year.

One DEA agent told reporters this week that, indeed, the word is that drug enforcement officers have a price on their head.

"A good trafficking organization has a larger budget than we do," said DEA agent Bernie Minarik, one of 600 U.S. agents working the southwestern border.

Meanwhile, Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever says the drug smugglers have transformed his once-quiet Arizona county into a portal through which 75 percent of America's illicit drugs enter the country -- and where his deputies spend most of their time protecting federal officers.

Worse, Minarik said, the more busts an officer makes, the more "popular" he becomes to the cartels.

"They know who we are," he said, adding that more busts usually means more attention from drug lords. The attention can be deadly, said Minarik. "They consider it a cost of doing business."

New Mexican border patrol units are interdicting illegal immigrants before they reach the U.S.

For its part, Mexico is at least attempting to assist U.S. agents by cracking-down on drug use, if not drug lords, throughout the country. New border patrol units and anti-drug paramilitary patrols, often using equipment donated for the effort to Mexico City by Washington, do have some effect.

But Border Patrol officials in the states wonder how bad it would be otherwise; they see little difference on the other side.

U.S. lawmakers from southwestern states, as well as the Border Patrol unions, are making pleas to the Clinton administration to step-up efforts to stem both illegal immigration and the drug traffic.

Earlier this week, Rep. Jim Kolbe, R-Ariz., said that without President Bill Clinton's personal intervention and the introduction of more federal agents into Cochise County, a potentially explosive border situation will only get worse.

If Clinton fails to act, Kolbe said, he will have to bear the responsibility of anything that goes wrong along the border.

Sheriff Dever echoed Kolbe's concern, saying the level of anxiety along the border is getting higher. And, he said, statements coming out of Washington, D.C. by Secretary of State Madeline Albright and Attorney General Janet Reno -- who have no firsthand knowledge of the Arizona-Mexico border situation or what the people face -- are only adding to the tension.

Kolbe said he had written a letter to Clinton, stating that people in border areas cannot take an evening stroll, some cannot go for a walk unarmed and many don't want to leave their homes for fear of being robbed by the ever present mass of illegal immigrants.

The Arizona congressman also said it does not help that Albright appears to have sided with the Mexican government's view that people protecting their property are vigilantes, adding that he considers Reno to be misinformed about the situation. Kolbe emphasized he was not denigrating the work being done by the U.S. Border Patrol in the area but, rather, the incompetence of INS bureaucrats in Washington, D.C., who he sees as the root cause of the problems.

Also, earlier this week, one Mexico mayor said his city would begin instructing Mexican nationals on how to get an asylum hearing in a U.S. court, once across the border. It was a pledge to declare a de facto war on the U.S. court system in retaliation for U.S. officials releasing illegals caught in the states back into the mayor's city.

Old June 4, 2000, 01:50 PM   #2
Gunslinger

It's time to do something down there......past time!

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old June 4, 2000, 03:03 PM   #3
Darthmaum

Pathetic and yet another thing to get my blood boiling! I don't mind immigrants who come in legally, but I DO mind the ones that come illegally and then manipulate "the system" to their own advantage, as in seeking asylum.

The DC Stinkocrats need to keep their nose in their own bidness, and keep their collective mouths shut on a subject they know nuthin' about.

------------------
"At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Gun-Grabbers, at last we shall have revenge at The TFL End of Summer Meet on August 12 & 13, 2000..."
Old June 4, 2000, 03:05 PM   #4
Jay Baker

The solution is quite simple. Frist, none of the serfs and peasants in Mexico are allowed to own guns, and they have some of the strictest gun confiscation laws in the world.

Second, it's obvious that the drug smugglers get their evil guns from the United States, because the U.S. has no common sense gun confiscation laws.

Thirdly, it can only logically follow that if King Klinton just bans all guns from us serfs and peasants, and closes down all gun manufacturing in the U.S., the Mexican drug lords and smugglers will not have any guns, and there will be no more crime in the U.S., nor Mexico, and the drug lords and the drug smugglers will not smuggle drugs anymore, nor shoot at the U.S. Border patrol agents.

In fact, given that King Klinton will have solved all U.S./Mexican crime problems, there won't even be a need for the U.S. Border Patrol agents. Right?

You see how simple it is??? J.B.
Old June 4, 2000, 05:29 PM   #5
KAC556

I urge everyone who is concerned about this issue, to get involved quick!! Write your "cheap A$$ed politician and tell them what you think about this invasion.

It's not about RACE. It's about loss of our national soverignty!
www.americanpatrol.com
Old June 4, 2000, 09:52 PM   #6
Shin-Tao

I second the motion put forth by KAC556.
Old June 5, 2000, 09:59 AM   #7
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

In the past, I have had no problem with illegals because they came peacefully to
find work.

Now, things have changed. Too many come to commit crimes, the least of which is
to bring illegal drugs into America. The straw that broke this camel's back was the
armed and violent drug cartels attacking Americans. Pillage, plunder, rape, and
kill?

"That tears it!" It’s time for the Texas two-step.

Step One

Secure the border.

The U.S. government should create a 500 ft. training zone for our military from the
Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean with 8 ft chainlink fences on each side.
Compensate land owners in a fair manner - it's cheaper than foreign aid, or the
threat to American sovereignty and American lives (and property).

In that zone, armed military maneuvers of all kinds (foot marches, mechanized rifle,
armor, airborne assault, whatever it takes) to secure our border. Make it part of
basic training. Lock and load.

The U.S./Mexico border is 2013 miles long.

Let’s say four troops can secure at least 528 feet of the border (on average),
or about 10 groups of four per mile.
That’s 40 troops per mile x 4 shifts x 2013 miles = 322,080 troops.
(That’s a warm body, 24/7, for every 132 feet of border.)

Just do it! Create a “sterile” strip between us and those who attack Americans.

Ensure cooperation between the military and local land owners to provide access as
needed.

Ensure cooperation between the military and the law enforcement people of every
stripe currently along the border.

Ensure cooperation between U.S. military bases near the border.
“You want close air support? Duck!”
“I love the smell of napalm in the morning!”

Put signs in Spanish and English on the fences.
- On the fence facing Mexico, “If you are found between the border and this fence,
you die without warning.”
- On the fence facing the U.S., “Military training area. If you are found here, and
survive, you will be sentenced to a $10,000 fine and ten years in prison.”

And mean it!

Step Two

Permit legal immigration for those who come to work. All we have to do is
close off and control our border the same as the Canadians have against Americans
at Niagara Falls, NY.
----------------

No more Mister Nice Guy.

-- Forest Grump
Old June 5, 2000, 02:27 PM   #8
Matt19

How charming. And my brother works the border. I hope he shoots a lot more now than he did in the past.

------------------
It is the people who are prisoners of their own ignorance about firearms that pose the greatest threat to our 2nd Amendment Rights.
Old June 5, 2000, 02:51 PM   #9
Libertarian

We can not mobilize the military to deal with this unless it turns into a war. That would be unconstitutional and I do not want the military getting more involved with police duties than they already are. It is a job of the National Guard (the organized militia) to assist the Border Patrol anyway.

Perhaps the Feds could send most of the BATF over to help the BP. They like action, don't they? Though their targets will be shooting back this time, so the BATF might opt out and keep kicking citizen's doors instead (it's safer.)

Putting up a buffer zone from the Gulf to the PRK's Pacific coast is a good idea. But we should let the BP patrol it with Men, Dogs and technology.
Old June 5, 2000, 03:00 PM   #10
Shok

Our soverignty and security is being violated. I think Dennis has a good idea but I would forget military maneuvers.

Step one: Build a tall wall from the Gulf to the Pacific. Then pass legislation declaring anyone seen climbing the wall a threat to national security. Deadly force by citizens or BP defending the US would be necessary. Any illegal who survives or comes in undetected is deported immediately.

Step two: Make passports and visa's cheaper and easier to obtain by Mexican citizen so they can work in US. Then we can track them with visa's and tax their income.

Shok

[This message has been edited by Shok (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old June 5, 2000, 04:56 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I like these ideas... the Southern Border DMZ concept works for me.
Its harsh - and not likely to be a popular PC idea... but its needed.

------------------
To understand the true nature of a Politician - you have to look at the root words in Politics. Poli = meaning Many, and Tics = meaning blood sucking insects.
Old June 5, 2000, 05:07 PM   #12
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

I guess in my frustration I did not make my point very well. My objective is to reduce shootings to zero!

If we declared the border zone to be an active military exercise zone, nobody, but NObody would be so dumb as to challenge a G.I. with a gun on every 130-odd linear feet of border.

The posse comitatus act would have nothing to do with it. We can establish an "exercise area" anyplace we want.

I also want the "illegals" to be legal (legalized) so they don't have to be afraid to work in America and they can earn an honest wage.

If we take care of those honest folks who want to work, the infiltrators would be the bad guys = terrorists. Whack 'em.
Old June 5, 2000, 06:07 PM   #13
mussi

Mine this zone with anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines and set up
automatic detection systems. Everybody knows that the death zone is
deadly. No one is brave enough to cross a 500-feet minefield.

And crack down on illegal immigrants coming from China too.
Old June 5, 2000, 07:00 PM   #14
paratrooper

It seems that someone is always putting a huge price tag on the military helping out on the border . Think about this . They gotta be paid anyway!!! If they are in Pendelton marching or on the border . I personally stood guard duty in some remote ass places that you would have to PAY somebody to try to mess with that stuff . Not that they could fence it anyway . " Pssst , wanna buy a deuce and a half .?"
I think that border patrol beats close order drill any time . Good final week after Infantry AIT is over . Halfway point exercise in Force Recon , UDT and Seal training . There are plenty of bodies on active duty whose time is otherwise wasted at least one week a month . Also a good time to weed out those that cringe when something moves . Good training for all . WETSU!!!( If you don't know WETSU ....well ...you hadda be there )

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA
Old June 5, 2000, 07:28 PM   #15
Gary H

I doubt that the Clinton gang will react to this situation. If you crack down hard at one point, the drug runners and others will simply move to another border crossing. You can't evoke the military without a state of emergency and we are careful not to do anything that will upset the Mexican government. It is a lot easier to capture six year olds than folks that can and do shoot back. You can bet that the U.S. government will come down hard on any citizens that get involved. They don't want to open that door.

As long as our neighbors want drugs and industry wants cheap labor, we will have these problems. Make drugs legal, empty the jails, death penalty for those that sell to kids, tax the stuff and spend the money on education and treatment. You don't like that solution, but it is the only one that will work. We all know that the chance of placing the military on the border and the chance of legalizing drugs is zero. I don't use drugs, but when I report I crime, it would sure be nice if they had a place for the criminal in jail and had the resources to find the bad guy. Now, it is used to deal with the drug trade and the actions of misguided people who use the drugs. Go ahead and disagree, but on this one I'm right.
Old June 5, 2000, 10:22 PM   #16
DerGlockenpooper

Geesh. And I not only live on the border, but I drive the I-8 along the border all the time. I think I will carry no less than my Glock 20 10mm with 16 rounds in it and an extra mag from now on.

Living on the border does give a unique perspective on all of this.

You would also not BELIEVE how much political pull these people have in California.

The Democrats won't do jack crap about this because they depend on these people for votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These people have more Rights than I do in my own home town where I pay taxes and live lawfully.
Really pisses me off.

Ps- I agree that legalizing drugs and dealing with them from a medicallly controlled perspective (for lack of a better term) is the best solution. What we do know, is that what we are doing now is NOT working. We have nothing to lose. Set up gov't pharmacists to sell quality drugs at low prices, collect the taxes, and put the drug dealers out of business. Sounds radical and disgusting, I know, but it would work. It is not like people can't get drugs now anyway, so it would not make them any more available than they are now, it would just eliminate the rampant criminal activity involved with them.

[This message has been edited by DerGlockenpooper (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old June 5, 2000, 10:39 PM   #17
Libertarian

Paratrooper, 11th?