The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 31, 2000, 09:31 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Okay, after seeing "Dawn of the Dead" last night, I've been thinking. (believe it or not!) I've seen threads on here about which weapons you'd take to the apocolypse, which you'd prefer if the US was invaded, and so on. Well, the undead are walking (albeit slowly!) and are trying to chomp you and your loved ones. Killing someone that's already dead isn't easy! It would either take massive damage to the torso area to rip enough muscle apart to immobilize them, or a shot through their undead heads. So, what would you take? In the movie, they seemed to get along with bolt-action rifles and revolvers, for the most part, but I think I'd prefer something will a little more rapid fire capabilities...a select fire carbine of some sort, and a high-powered pistol. Of course, against zombies, a shotgun or a chainsaw is always a good choice. Hail to the king, baby!
Old October 31, 2000, 09:56 PM   #2
Dennis Olson

Is this the one where they end up in the shopping mall? I loved that one.

I'd take something with multiple hi-cap mags, like a mini-14, and several thousand rds. I'd have to have my Casull with me too, for those really cool close-up splatter shots.

IIRC, a head shot was the only way to "kill" them.

On another note, I remember an episode of Candid Camera (or one of its modern equivalents), that took a "regular guy", hired him as a guard at a cemetary (or construction site, I don't quite remember), and had a bunch of "zombies" come at him. His reaction was priceless. I think he needed new shorts...

On that note, what if the guy had been armed, and had pulled his sidearm? I bet the reactions of the "zombies" would have been worth filming too. (As long as they didn't get shot). I never agreed with "fright" setups like this as practical jokes.

I carry. It wouldn't have been much fun for the "others"....

------------------
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken
Old October 31, 2000, 09:59 PM   #3
DarkStar

I'm not really sure, but preferably something belt fed...

Darryl
Old October 31, 2000, 10:09 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

A 16" bbl AR-15 (.223) or even better, the FN P90. Why? Small caliber is all you need and you want head shots.

Fast working maggots would be good too but once they become flies, talk about the diseases will spread.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:23 PM   #5
Gunslinger

Well, the undead are walking (albeit slowly!) and are trying to chomp you and your loved ones.

I just hate it when that happens....

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old October 31, 2000, 10:26 PM   #6
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I'd take my MP5 and sell my house to buy enough Winchester Silvertips

As a sidearm, I would carry my Desert Eagle .50AE with a backpack full of ammo and magazines.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:31 PM   #7
Keeper

I want the .45 autos Bruce Willas was using in last man standing. Everyone he shot flew back like they got hit by a car. Plus I don't think he reloaded more than 4 times during the movie. Some sort of extreme high cap. You would have thought he had Thompson drums hanging under each pistol.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:36 PM   #8
JCH

They can't walk if'in they ain't got no knees. Use a 12 gauge.

Who cares if they die again! If you just slow them down the sunlight will get um. Never think that they are dead again! If you do then you will want to touch them, then they will come back to life

------------------
DUM SPIRO SPERO
While I Breath I Hope
Old October 31, 2000, 10:37 PM   #9
Keeper

Have you ever noticed in those movies that instead of just walking away from zombies that a one legged man in a drug induced stupor could escape from the fools in the movie always hole up in a building until they are surrounded.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:41 PM   #10
Satanta

I'd like one of those belt fed mini-guns like the cowboy used in Predator. A flamethrower would be kinda cool too.

Now, if we're talkin about something I actually own...all of it and as much ammo as I can carry.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:41 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

How about rigging up a bulldozer to go in circles (not just spin in its tracks)? Put your bait in the center and let the Cat crush 'em.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:56 PM   #12
Nightcrawler

Here are some survival tips for when the undead rise.

-Avoid cemetaries, mortuaries, catacombs, and any other place corpses are stored. Granted, it isn't as suspensful, but let's be sensible.

-Don't hole up in a building and let 500 zombies surround it. That's the easiest road to disaster. Keep moving.

-Zombies are slow. If you encounter one and are dumb enough to be unarmed, simply run away. Don't attempt to take it on with a brick or some other blunt object.

-Zombies are dumb. If fleeing inside of a building, lock the doors behind you.

-And, of course, as with any horror scenario, avoid having out-of-wedlock sex until the incident is over. For some reason, in a horror scenario, having said relations is a death sentence....
Old October 31, 2000, 11:19 PM   #13
dZ

they are already dead
puting small holes in them is not effective

you need to dismember them
or burn them

snowthower on a minimog or
flamethrower on a hummer

dZ
Old October 31, 2000, 11:39 PM   #14
Dave R

I'm with JCH. Use 12ga 00 buck and start amputating extremities. Would take LOTS of ammo. 4 rounds per Zombie. Because they're dead, I assume they'd keep crawling with their arms if'n you got the legs. Wow. How did the film makers miss that one?

Hmmm, on t'other hand, might be able to get by with 1 round per zombie if you went with neck shots...

Hmmm, any firearm-o-philes into movie making? Seeing how we all like to discuss the best gun scenes in a movie, and a zombie movie would be an ideal property for showing off firearms...

Hmmmm, opening introduces the TFL gang "discussing" the merits of Shiner Bock vs. their favorite alternate drinks. FUD mentions some strange things he's seen lately...gets laughed down except for KaMaKaZe, who starts to look a little worried. Lawdog mentions he's seen some pretty peculiar things at the local graveyard...starts to telling the story when Tamara busts in with the news..."dead men walking!"

There follows a 10 minute "discussion" of which firearms will be appropriate. Roberthe41Magfan has 1 line...so does GitSome.45...

The building is about to be surrounded, but the TFLers escape with some help from ArmySon's Akita, who keep the dead at bay just long enough.

There follows general mayhem, with each action scene peppered with farily technical dialog.

"I don't think the HP's are expanding. The clothing tatters are plugging up the apertures".

"Velocity is more important than bullet weight--compare the one shot stops on my .357 vs. Son's .45."

"Look, I told you 9 hits from my P-32 in 4 seconds is just as good as 1 hot from 00 buck. Watch this!"

"Wow, I think the muzzle blast from my 2" .357 blinds them as much as it blinds me".

"I shot my SKS so much that the laminate stock is melting!"

Art Eastman--".308, 30-06, .270, its really a question of which feels most comfortable to you. The would ballistics are real similar."

You all can take it from here...
Old October 31, 2000, 11:57 PM   #15
papercut

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarkStar:
I'm not really sure, but preferably something belt fed... [/quote]

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

How about chainsaws for close-up work? Chainsaws are good.

('Course, if I let 'em get that close, I'm stoopid.)

------------------
"People who say guns are bad are lucky enough never to have been in a situation where someone has kicked down your door and threatened the life of your son and your sixty-five-year-old mother."
-- Memphis, Tennessee resident Gina Cushon, quoted in Laura Ingraham's book "The Hillary Trap"
Old November 1, 2000, 12:00 AM   #16
PreserveFreedom

I'll go for the Mini 14 idea.

Old November 1, 2000, 12:02 AM   #17
rellik74

Ok start off with a 20 gage auto shot gun with 00 buck, efective at close range, "head removal" and dont kick like a 12. 1911 45 auto hand gun. An asortment of Rifles from 22cal to 50 cal to pick them buggers off in the parking lot. For last resort a sharp sword "Head removal" Frag grenades for large crowds of Zombies. An hummer wit 4 inch angle iron welded to the bumper sharpened to chop them in half.
Old November 1, 2000, 01:09 AM   #18
BigO

Sounds like fun , I would use my Bushmaster
Shorty and one of my hi-cap Glocks. The G-17
with FMJ would work for head shots. Now that I'm thinking about it I need to get some nitesites for it.
Old November 1, 2000, 01:19 AM   #19
Munro Williams

When you think about it, this would be like hunting turtles with a hammer.
I'd use a .58 caliber Springfield rifled musket and try for head shots starting at 150 yards just to make things a little challenging. I'd also have a couple of LeMats hanging from the hip, another pair of LeMats in shoulder holsters, and another pistol belt and pair of shoulder holsters in my saddlebags when I was in a pistol charge mood. Of course I'm on horseback. Didn't I mention a cavalry saber?

[This message has been edited by Munro Williams (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 01:30 AM   #20
Battler

Leaving out bombs and fire. . . .

Bullets don't do squat - you need destruction.

the ONLY smallarms weapon for such nasties was on the movie Phantasm (you know, the tall man, the hemicuda, the small boy, the midget badguys, and no coherent plot). Two sxs double-barrel shotguns welded together side by side with the muzzles shaped into a V (long in middle, shorter out, with a slant) - all fired at once.

With a small spotlight on top, of course.

Battler.

Old November 1, 2000, 02:39 AM   #21
dragontooth73

There's a Sony Playstation game called "Resident Evil" where you can test this out ... lets you goof around with a whole bunch of unreasonable weapons (everything from a 9mm semiautomatic Beretta knockoff to a shoulder-humped chaingun) and if you're really into dumping lots of quarters then "House of the Dead" is around somewhere (but you can only use pistols) ... great game if you want to learn shot placement LOL ... blasting at 12-foot zombies with a six shooter can be VERY aggravating though.
Old November 1, 2000, 04:33 AM   #22
The Maz

M61-A1 20mm canon mounted on an aircraft (after running out of CBU-52 cluster munitions, that is! )
Old November 1, 2000, 06:11 AM   #23
Apple a Day

I would think that a hummer or an old pickup truck with good tires would be the ideal weapon. All you have to do is get a good running start and thnunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunk! No muss, no fuss except for a trip to the car wash to get the poop,hair, and brains off the hood. Definitely not something you would want to do with a convertible. With all the body parts flipping over the hood it would rapidly end up looking like a bucket of the Colonel's Original Recipe gone rank.

------------------
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules.Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Old November 1, 2000, 09:19 AM   #24
DAL

Nightcrawler, you've referenced one of my all-time favorite horror movies, although I still think that the original "Night of the Living Dead" was just a tad bit better more frightening.

To answer your question, an AR-15 with 6 to 12 30-round magazines, and a couple of 9mm pistols with several full-cap mags. each. Plus, a Kevlar jumpsuit so the ghouls couldn't bit through it. Three or four well-armed friends wouldn't hurt either...and extra underwear, because if I ever saw something like that, I'd probably loose all control for at least a short while.

BTW, here's a link to someone who is REALLY a fan of DOTD. It's a great website with lots of interesting facts and pictures from the movie. http://www2.gol.com/users/noman/

Here's the address to another site dealing with George Romero's zombie flicks. Enjoy. http://www.homepageofthedead.com/
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old November 1, 2000, 10:00 AM   #25
Christopher II

Wasn't there a Simpons episode about this??

My loadout:

(1) FN-FAL carbine (primary)
(lots of) 7.62mm NATO API in 20-rd magazines
(1) sawed-off Savage 311R 12ga. (backup)
(lots of) homeade TH3 "Dragon's Breath" shells (the undead have this thing about fire...)
(1) Tinkerblades bastard sword
(1) CamelBak full of holy water
(1) Titanium chainmail shark vest, with hood

Later,
Chris

------------------
"TV what do I see, tell me who to believe, what's the use of autonomy when a button does it all??" - Incubus, Idiot Box
Closed Thread