The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 17, 2000, 11:44 AM   #1
FUD

While this question is addressed to Gunslinger, I'm asking it publicly because I think that others would be interested in the response. If I am mistaken, I apologize and will resume this discussion via private e-mail.

[Link to invalid post] got me wondering as to how your product compares to the one made by Action Direct? I like the fact that your's comes in white and I would rather do business with a fellow member.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Can I wear your's like a regular band around the waist? Meaning, does it have the strength to support a firearm in that type of fashion?
<LI> What is it's thinkness? 3"? 4"?
<LI> Can it be ordered with a extra slot for holding a spare magazine or speedstrip?
<LI> Does it come with a velcro strap to hold the firearm in place?
<LI> What sizes can I get it in? I'm a pretty big guy getting bigger all of the time in the wrong places.
<LI> Are there different models for different type guns? I would be interested in ones which would hold: {a} a Kahr MK9; {b} a Smith & Wesson 3913TSW (the older, slightly smaller model from last year which didn't come with the stupid equipment rail on the slide -- the model from this year is about half an inch longer and half an inch taller -- yuk); {c} a Smith & Wesson 342 revolver; and {d} a Taurus M85UL/UC revolver. I don't care if I have to buy more than one band as long as I get a good fit.</UL>

Again, I hope that you don't mind the public question but if you have a good product which the membership could benefit from owning, I don't think that it's wrong to mention it. Again, if I am incorrect, I apologize as I meant no intentional harm in posting this thread.
Old October 17, 2000, 12:07 PM   #2
Eric of IN

FUD, I'm not Gunslinger or Terri, but I do have one of their bands, so I'll try to answer your questions.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Can I wear your's like a regular band around the waist? Meaning, does it have the strength to support a firearm in that type of fashion?</UL>
Yes, I carry a full size steel 1911, and don't have any trouble with it in that position.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>What is it's thinkness? 3"? 4"?</UL>
It's five inches wide.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Can it be ordered with a extra slot for holding a spare magazine or speedstrip?</UL>
Mine has a slot for a spare mag, but I don't know if that's standard or not.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Does it come with a velcro strap to hold the firearm in place?</UL>
There isn't one on mine, but again, I don't know if there are other models.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> What sizes can I get it in? I'm a pretty big guy getting bigger all of the time in the wrong places.</UL>
There are 4 sizes I believe, with a fairly good range of adjustment in each size.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Are there different models for different type guns? I would be interested in ones which would hold: {a} a Kahr MK9; {b} a Smith & Wesson 3913TSW (the older, slightly smaller model from last year which didn't come with the stupid equipment rail on the slide -- the model from this year is about half an inch longer and half an inch taller -- yuk); {c} a Smith & Wesson 342 revolver; and {d} a Taurus M85UL/UC revolver. I don't care if I have to buy more than one band as long as I get a good fit.</UL>
The band is not gun specific.

HTH
Eric
Old October 17, 2000, 12:09 PM   #3
terridarri

Fud, thanks for your inquiry, Slinger and I are fixing to leave to go to the closing on our new house and as soon as we get back, he said he would answer you.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT
Old October 17, 2000, 12:13 PM   #4
terridarri

Thanks Eric you're such a good guy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm not Gunslinger or Terri[/quote]
Neither do you look like him, don't know if this world could handle two of them.

------------------
Old October 17, 2000, 12:14 PM   #5
FUD

Congrats on the purchase of your new home. I hope you have many happy years there.
Old October 17, 2000, 06:01 PM   #6
Gunslinger

I don't mind you asking in public a bit FUD. In fact, even though the subject would probably be better suited in Gear and Accessories, in the long run it may actually save band width considering how often the question arises.

Our rig is 5 inches wide and constructed of 100% American made surgical elastic and Velcro.
They have a full fourteen inches of over lap allowing them to accomodate.....er...changing waste lines and/or wear over a bullet proof vest. (We sell to a lot of police officers who like to carry i.e., a snubby Smith in shoulder holster position on duty and their full size duty weapon IWB off duty in the same rig.)
They are available in five sizes ranging from very petite to a length suitable to wrap aroud a family of four.
They are available in black, white or tan and are fully machine washable.
The holsters themselves are not gun specific and will securely hold anything from a NAA mini to a Desert Eagle. (I actually carry a DE at shows to demonstrate and a 6" "N" frame Smith daily.) The wearer may switch from one gun to another from day to day as the mood and need strikes them with one holster.
They have the same "cling" material behind the gun that is sewn into men's dress slacks to keep their shirt tail in immediately behind the gun. (I have no idea what this material is called.) Because of this, their width and the large over lap of Velcro they may be worn any where on the torso. I carry mine in the traditional shoulder holster postition. But they may also be worn as an IWB, SOB or any place else that a person puts them and remain there firmly without the need for adjustment through out the day. There are no straps either over the shoulder or over the gun. The holster fits well enough and holds the gun secure enough to not need such devises to have to fumble with.
Basically you put the thing on where ever you want it, put what ever gun you want to carry that day and forget it. It is the most comfortable, best concealed holster I have ever worn and I've tried them all.

Now for the truth in advertising part.

There is a spare mag pouch. But it is located behind the gun when worn in the shoulder holster postition. Not the ideal place to get to in a hurry. When worn as an IWB the mag is right in front of the gun and easy to reach.
There is no cant so when worn SOB the gun is not as easy to get to as a tilted holster.
Because of the close positioning to the body the gun is exposed to perspiration. At the end of the day I always wipe my gun down and re-oil it.
These are the only draw backs that I have found after wearing one daily for six months.

I would be happy to answer any other questions anyone may have here. After this I will refer those asking in the various forums to this thread.

Actually we are building a new house on our existing property and thank you for the sentiment.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 17, 2000, 06:43 PM   #7
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

For examples, go here:

http://users.supernet.com/taos/belly.htm

I apologize if your monitor breaks LoL!

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 17, 2000, 07:28 PM   #8
citizen

Son-

Might be a real nice picture of you in a bow tie and vest; but who's this guy undressing in front of the plant?????????

------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old October 17, 2000, 08:43 PM   #9
terridarri

Son, Ummm....... Where's the gun? I think it disappeared, thats what we like to see, is those disappearing guns. Very good pics and thanks for modeling.

------------------
Old October 17, 2000, 08:46 PM   #10
Rob62

I too have one of Gunslingers belly bands. While I haven't used it extensively I have worn it both over a bullet proof vest under my uniform shirt, as well as just under a T shirt during warmer weather.

In each case the band kept the gun firmly in place. This was the first belly band that I used so have nothing to compare it with. But the bottom line is, I am very happy with the belly band.

Gunslinger - When/where is the next gunshow in the Springfield area that you will be set up at. I have a friend who wants to come and look at your other type of holsters.

Rob

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------
Old October 17, 2000, 08:49 PM   #11
Correia

Funny, my bellyband looks smaller on me...
Old October 17, 2000, 10:53 PM   #12
JJR

OK... I'm sold. So how do I go about getting one of these (probably the "family of four" model)?
Old October 17, 2000, 11:08 PM   #13
terridarri

JJR, I will have Slinger e-mail you tomorrow with the information, it won't be till tomorrow afternoon or evening because we got things to do early tomorrow.

------------------
Old October 17, 2000, 11:19 PM   #14
FUD

Gunslinger, thanks for the reply. I have two questions (actually three but the first one is a two-parter) -- depending on how you answer the first one will determine if you need to bother and answer the second one:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> {1} Am I to understand that the same BB (Belly Band) that securely holds a full-size 1911 will also securely hold a tiny MK9? {2} Can the band be ordered in a smaller width (3" or 4") for more compact guns such as my S&W3913 and sub-compact gun such as my MK9 and still securely hold the gun in place?
<LI> How do I order one? e-mail followed by a check/money order?</UL>
Old October 18, 2000, 12:06 AM   #15
terridarri

Fud, this band will hold a Desert Eagle to a little North American Arms Derringer, all guns hold very securely in them. You don't have to worry about any of them bouncing around or falling out. I will have the Ole Slinger e-mail you tomorrow with the mailing instructions. Thanks for your response, I think you will be very happy with it.

------------------
Old October 18, 2000, 10:44 AM   #16
Gunslinger

Just to add to what Terri said, all of the "bands" we sell are the full five inches. I've found the extra width helps in preventing the dreaded roll over that many bands do.

Dang, I haven't been able to type, spell or punkcheate the last three days.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 08:46 PM   #17
LASur5r

FUD,
Not to worry, I've had my Gunslinger's BB for a little over two weeks now. I've tried it on at least 14 hours a day.
It carries a H & K USP .40 in it with an extra mag.
For what it's worth...it is the best BB that I have used...It is comfortable and concealable...already put it to it's test. I have it on at work, I have it on around a bunch of my LEO friends, went down to my local hangout...two gunshops and everybody knows that I am trying out stuff and comments about stuff, but no one has noticed that I am carrying with Gunslinger's BB.
Couldn't ask for more...except...(blush)...I've fallen asleep with it on three times so far. (Don't let my wife know that I have been sleeping with my gun on.) It's just between us and these four walls, right?
Old October 18, 2000, 09:08 PM   #18
12-34hom

Damm Gunslinger, got one that will fit a fat boy like me??
Old October 18, 2000, 09:14 PM   #19
Gunslinger

Hom, you're just a big feller, in both body and character but I believe we can fit you. Drop me an Email if you're interested.
Old October 19, 2000, 12:33 AM   #20
sbryce

The reason ArmySon looks like he's not carrying http://users.supernet.com/taos/belly.htm (in the pic with the shirt on) is that he has TWO sidearms, one on each side. This holds the shirt out an equal amount on each side. Smart.

Does that mean we should all go for 2?

--Denise
Old October 19, 2000, 12:40 AM   #21
Gunslinger

Actually Son is wearing a single. But we do have double bands available for the John Woo fans. The singles are $30, including shipping and the doubles, which we usually don't carry in stock, are $42. I usually wear a double with my 6" model 29 in one side and my custom snubby model 29 in the other as a back up. One can never be too well armed.
Old October 19, 2000, 06:23 AM   #22
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Bill,
Denise wasn't talking about the BB. She noticed I was packing my Wilson Combat KZ-45 on my right hip along with the Les Baer under my left arm.

Regards,
the sleepy one
Old October 19, 2000, 02:03 PM   #23
KaMaKaZe

Okay -- I'll play. 'slinger er Terri wanna Email me?

------------------
Be sure to come and check out FUD's Fan Club!
Old October 19, 2000, 04:56 PM   #24
Gunslinger

Alrighty then, you got mail.
Old October 19, 2000, 08:14 PM   #25
Ironbarr

Gunslinger - what's the comfort level of wearing a double but using single. Two reasons I can see: 1) Room for one more later, 2) Handier mag pouch.

Put me on the email list, too. Thanks.

------------------
The Handgun: In a real pinch, the Great Equalizer.