The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 30, 2000, 04:47 PM   #1
Acujeff

I'm looking for an effective pepper spray for carry. Prefer close to 5% OC, 2 million SHU or 2% OC, 5.3 million SHU. If you use, or know of companies selling pepper spray please reply, leave their website address and what you think of them.

I've already used htp://selfdefenseproducts.com/
An effective spray but not the safety I want. The lever safety keeps the button from depressing. But it can move during carry and you have to keep checking it. Also, it's not so natural to unlock the safety during the stress of a physical attack.

I especially like units with a covering spring loaded plastic "flap" safety that lifts as you slid your thumb under it. I find them most natural to use. If you know of any effective models that use this kind of access please be sure to list them. If you know of other easy access model, I'd like to know about them.

Thanks

Old November 30, 2000, 05:22 PM   #2
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

My personal favorite is the ASP KeyDefender:
http://www.krsproducts.com/keydefender.htm

I've used the Def-Tec First Defense to good effect, but I don't have a web-site.

Amarillo PD uses the Punch II, and they seem to have had good results with it, Shomer Tec carries it, as do some of the local stores.

I've used the Mace OC Pepper Foam, and it works okay, but I prefer a burst or stream delivery system.

Fox can be found here, and several people that I trust swear by it:
http://selfdefenseproducts.com

Guardian Sprays can be found here:
http://www.guardpd.com

I haven't used the Guardian product, but the local PD does, and they seem to like it.
Some people are in favour of the CS/OC combination sprays, I've only used one once, and it didn't seem to work any faster than my KeyDefender.

Once the 'search' function is enabled again, there have been many good threads over this subject here in the past.

LawDog
Old December 1, 2000, 12:00 AM   #3
sigmund

Mace makes a unit with the flip top you described. It is a combination of Mace and OC. It's a little bigger than a disposable butane lighter, and has a key chain on the end. Got it at a local deparment store that has a large sporting goods department, including guns. About $10 if I remember right. Haven't had a need to use it yet.
Old December 1, 2000, 09:56 AM   #4
Jody Hudson

Please keep in mind that pepper spray is MOST effective on animals, not humans. It attacks the mucous membranes; eyes, extended tongue, open mouth, wet throat, wet nose, etc. Humans have far less membrane showing than bears or dogs. I preferr the strongest, hottest stuff I can find and with a large and long lasting long range fire-hose type stream. IF I ever have to use the stuff it will be because I need to protect my life and those I love -- not just to dissuade someone... BUT to stop them. Humans hopped up on adrenaline or PCP or Crack or gang bravado are FAR harder to stop than dogs and bears when using pepper spray. The surprise and confusion factor is a huge one with animals and at one time it was with felons; now most of them have been sprayed a few times and are more able to predict, prepare and protect themselves with a mind-set of knowledge, understanding and the intention to keep on getting you and then get away even after being sprayed!!!!

Police use the toned down stuff to put down difficult folks; but remember they have a badge, club, guns, the law, a uniform for PR altitude and usually about 5 to 40 buddies with them when they use it. They also don't want to risk killing the bad person due to some unknown heart or asthma condition. We don't usually have any of that same batch of assetts or priorities if we need to use the spray.

Also please remember that the spray has a limited shelf life and should be replaced even if it is not used... at least once a year. After a couple of years even without being sprayed it loses a lot of power.
Old December 1, 2000, 01:29 PM   #5
gdw

Owwch...

Guardian makes a good product - its 5%OC if I remember - I found it very painfull in training - ofcourse I got a full puss full at 6 foot - I like the "cone" tops - similar to a fogger but in a cone shape. I'm not as big on the stream style - if your adrenaline is pumping its not uncommon to lose fine motor skills and if your aim is off it's not quite as effective.

I bought the Mace brand oc/mace/dye spring top unit for my wife- haven't played with it though...
Old December 1, 2000, 09:13 PM   #6
pokey074

http://www.galls.com actually has pretty good prices on OC spray. i carry the First Defense brand MK-4. this is a %10 solution and will direct an accurate stream up to about 10 feet or so. i've been hosed with the 5% stuff and it is anything but pleasant. i wouldn't want to get hit with the 10% stuff. oh yeah, it has the flip up spring loaded cap. you can also flip up the cap, depress the trigger, and slide a quarter in. the quarter keeps the trigger pushed down and you can toss the can into a room or crowd and it will dump the contents.
Old December 2, 2000, 12:35 AM   #7
ctdonath

New York State has the obnoxious restriction that pepper spray must not be "more than 0.7% weight total capsaicinoids." Considering that there is not a restriction on heat level, what spray is available that contains a low percentage OC but very high SHU heat level? A good spray may be 5% at 1,500,000 SHU, but in NY one needs something more like 0.7% at 10,000,000 SHU.
Old December 3, 2000, 12:26 PM   #8
Mike in VA

anti-bear OC

UDAP [www.udap.com/defense.htm] makes the anti-bear stuff, pretty nasty, works real well on critters, haven't tried on a biped. M2
Old December 3, 2000, 02:17 PM   #9
Jody Hudson

Please beware; Bears are easy compared to humans with pepper spray. Humans are easier than bears with bullets. BEWARE
Old December 3, 2000, 07:56 PM   #10
Makarov9x17

I carry the First Defense MK-3 fog type spray as my primary weapon along with an CRTK M16-13Z knife since I live in Los Angeles. I've had to use the MK-3 twice, both with good results and it delivers an extremely effective cloud of pepper spray which works well against multiple attackers.
Old December 4, 2000, 01:06 AM   #11
Dave R

PLEASE SEE

Please see Tamara's current post in General.

She was assaulted, sprayed the assailant thoroughly. Slowed him but an instant. He resumed the assault. The assault stopped when she produced a gun. In this case, pepper spray did NOT stop the attack. Producing a firearm did.

You need to read this in her own words.
Old December 5, 2000, 01:34 PM   #12
Acujeff

Thanks for the good info. I'll check them out. BTW, I carry Pepper Spray as an additional defense to my Glock-30, not to replace it.