The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 5, 2000, 03:23 PM   #1
MAD DOG

I looked at these very closely at the show this weekend.
To be blunt, brief, and to the point, I was wholly and totally impressed with the engineeering, overall quality, and attention to detail that this rifle embodied.
Fixed ejector too!!

They intimated that they are working on a .308 version that will use FAL mags, to be released in about a year.
I am going to get one of the .223 versions, and a couple of the .308s as soon as they hit.

Did I mention that I was impressed?

This is the first semiauto rifle I have seen that was not an FAL that really blew my skirts up. Big Time.
Order one, you will NOT be disappointed.

Old December 5, 2000, 05:29 PM   #2
ar-180

I have heard nothing but good things about these guns. But I also have never seen one in a shop or met anyone that has shot one, if anyone has please chime in here... I'm really tempted to get one, but without any "hands on" experience I'm kind of reluctant to order one.
Old December 5, 2000, 06:57 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I told you so...

I can't wait for the .308 version either.
Thats what Banks invented Savings Accounts for.

I am just very afraid that should the .308 come out...
I might end up liking it more than an FAL!

Mad Dog - you think you liked it now...
Try actually firing one.
Old December 5, 2000, 09:04 PM   #4
Ought Six

Nice as they may be, a 9 pound rifle in .223 is not on my list. If the .308 version isn't too much heavier, an uses some common type of hi-cap mags, that would be a different story...
Old December 5, 2000, 11:40 PM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Awe come on...
An AR 15 only STARTS out at 7... once you put on the red dot and the tac light and the can opener and the cork screw - they are often well over 12 pounds!
Old December 6, 2000, 01:38 AM   #6
Battler

Sounds interesting.

About FAL mags - I suggest picking up a stack of them. They are the cheapest hicap on the planet (well, close).

I am so THERE if they make a gun that takes the FAL mags. Armalyte should do this too - make a version of their gun that takes unmolested FAL mags - even if the sacrifice is having to have the tilt-in mag insertion instead of the (nice) AR insertion. Better to pay $6 for a slower mag change than have a $90 mag I just won't buy.

Battler.
Old December 6, 2000, 02:59 AM   #7
RCS

If you are concerned about weight, just shoot your FAL for a little while first. That's what I was doing just before I shot an M96, and I thought it was less than five pounds! Really, there is no way I would have thought it even comes close to 9 pounds. BTW, it was an absolute dream to shoot, and was very accurate to boot. I'd love to have one.
Old December 6, 2000, 11:02 AM   #8
MAD DOG

I should be shooting one fairly soon. I am going to write an article on the piece for SWAT.

They may tip nine pounds with the heavy barrel, but the lightweight carbine version was very handy and easy to swing around. Bear in mind that the weapon can be modified very easily, and accepts a variety of barrel tapers with and without fluting, so the original full military config can be tuned or tamed to your needs.

Not only that, but with the adjustable gas system, they will be offering barrels for the .308 frame in .243, .260 Remington, and 7mm-08. I would expect that they will probably do some big bore version eventually or on request, maybe a 35 Whelen Kurz, or .358-08 type.

The fellow I spoke to there, one Brian Reynolds, is one of the engineers attached to the project. He was bright, personable, and extremely knowledgable about the project.

Every time I thought I was going to pose an embarassing stumper of a question, he just smiled like a Cheshire cat, and pulled an elegant answer out of the bag of very cool tricks that this rifle has. The weapon is constructed almost entirely of 400 series stainless steel, the barrels are 4140 ordnance steel, and can be had chrome lined for full auto use, or unlined for accuracy purposes.
The weapon has a fixed extractor, rotating bolt with oversized lugs, captive spring on an AK type gas system, and many other features to numerous to mention here.

The elegant goodies can be viewed at
http://www.robarm.com