The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 1, 2001, 06:20 PM   #1
MR.G

Ruger rebate?

According to the Ruger website they have a $40.00 rebate on all P series pistols, starting today. Rebate information is supposed to be obtained from any of their stocking dealers. I spent time today calling every local stocking Ruger dealer in my area, in Florida, and none of them have heard about a rebate. I have never owned a P Series before, but have heard a lot of good things about them, and with a $40.00 rebate I should probably get one or two. Has anyone else contacted a dealer, in their area, about the Ruger rebate?
Old September 1, 2001, 07:24 PM   #2
Drakejake

Ruger rebate

I called a couple of local dealers today. One of them had the rebate forms. I am looking for the best price on a couple of Rugers and plan to get rebates on them as well. I just read that Ruger's profits were way, way down (69%?) in the last quarter. this explains the rebate. But dealers may try to raise prices in order to take advantage as well.

Drakejake
Old September 2, 2001, 08:04 AM   #3
contender4040

slow delivery

My local shop recieved the rebate info on friday which gives $40 off on the p series and $20 off on the .22 auto pistols.
Old September 2, 2001, 09:49 AM   #4
Inspector Callahan

If this is true, it brings the effective price of the P97 down to a VERY comfortable price. I may just pick one up, been planning to for some time now. Wonder why Ruger's profits are down... I've not heard anything truly negative about their guns for a long time now.. Hmmm.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old September 2, 2001, 02:32 PM   #5
Drakejake

Ruger Profits

There's nothing wrong with the guns they make. Mr. Ruger decided not to produce small, light handguns, and this puts their product line at a disadvantage in today's market IMO. All the lawsuits against gunmakers and other legal restrictions must impact the bottom line. I think the main problem is the weaker economy causing consumers to postpone unnecessary purchases.

Drakejake
Old September 3, 2001, 07:31 PM   #6
contender4040

I believe you are right. The smallest carry gun they make is the sp101 and it is at the upper end of the size and weight class for a 5 shot snub.
Have always wanted Ruger to come out with a ppk size weapon but they never have.
Have read that their casting business (non-gun) is also down.
Old September 4, 2001, 08:57 AM   #7
jakester

May be too good to pass up

Checked out the Ruger website this morning. Sure enough, 9-1 thru 12-31, $40 off P-series and $20 off Mark II pistols. Thanks for the rebate alert.....wonder who will offer a rebate next???

Now for the question: Which P-Series to put in the collection???
I am a 45acp fan, but like the higher capacity of the 40S&W and 9mm pistols. Also find plenty of discarded 40S&W brass at the range. Anyone have a P944? I was actually considering this model before hearing about a rebate.

What is everyone's favorite?
Old September 4, 2001, 05:58 PM   #8
Arub

I have both a KP95DC and a KP944DC. Love them both. The 944 recoils just a bit, but not objectionable. Shoot 7" steel plates at 25 yards with both pistols. I favor the 944 judging from the saved brass. I had to drift the sights just a hair to the right on both. The P95 shoots center target at 25 yards if held at 6 O'clock point of aim. The P944 shoots poa/poi at 25 yards using 180 grain ammo. Shoots just slightly high using the 155 and 165 grain stuff. I keep with the 180 grain loads. Both pistols eat anything I feed them. Several thousand rounds through both. Never a lick of problems with the P95. Initially had ejection problems with the P944, Ruger replaced the ejector, no problems since the ejector replacement two years ago.

You can't go wrong with either.