The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 16, 2001, 04:22 PM   #1
superfly

Kahr recoil reducing guide rod?

I noticed that Kahr sells a stainless guide rod for the K and P series gun and Haarts also sells one for 50 more. Anyone here have experience with this or know anything. My P40 kicks fairly hard and I have imporved my control over it with a Handall JR. and Pearce grip extension. Thanks.
Old October 16, 2001, 05:03 PM   #2
AJennnings

Some folks have tried the Harrt's Recoil Reducer guide rod and swear by it. Others claim that it doesn't do much to tame recoil.
Use the SEARCH function and read the comments.

Some Kahr owners have upgraded from the factory 20# spring to a 22# recoil spring and say it reduces felt recoil. I haven't tried either the Harrt's Recoil Reducer or the 22#. However, I did install a 22# spring the other day, but have yet to try it out.

Old October 16, 2001, 06:05 PM   #3
unbeknownst

Where did you get the 22 # spring? Are they the same for the k40 and P40?
Old October 16, 2001, 06:06 PM   #4
superfly

Thanks AJennings! Please let me know how the comparison is.
Old October 16, 2001, 06:44 PM   #5
JNewell

OK, a few data points for you to plot.

I have been shooting a MK9 with standard and +P ammo and the factory springs. It's a little crisp with +P. I substituted the Wolff guide rod set and a 24# spring recently and the recoil is noticeably less, but no malfs of any kind with standard or +P ammo. Acccording to the early reviews on the Kahrs, this was the original spring used. I can tell you why they changed, though -- even if you have enough strength to retract the slide, it's darned hard to get a good grip on that little thing. Anyway, that's one thing to consider. I believe, as mentioned, that Wolff (www.gunsprings.com) has 22# springs as well, which might be a good compromise.

I have several 9x19 SIGs with Harrts rods installed. I wouldn't say that the difference is dramatic, but there is less muzzle flip. I would guess that the difference would become more apparent as recoil goes up -- the 9x19s really don't need this, although it helps with follow-up. I have a suspicion (could be completely wrong) that the rod in a Kahr MK is too small for a Harrts rod to make much difference, though -- too short, too little added weight. Could be wrong.
Old October 16, 2001, 09:21 PM   #6
waltherpfive

I have a Kahr P9 with the Harrt's rod and can tell the difference. Until a month or so ago I had a Glock 19 with the Harrt's rod and couldn't tell the difference.

I suspect that it all depends on the gun and you will see better results with a lighter gun like the polymer Kahrs.
Old October 16, 2001, 10:53 PM   #7
awisler

I have a K40 with both the Harrt's rod and a 22# spring -- of the two, I think the increased spring weight reduces felt recoil more. I can't honestly say the Harrt's rod makes a huge difference, but probably helps some with muzzle flip and follow-up shot placement. I would try the 22# spring, which is much cheaper, especially if you notice that your brass is travelling excessively far with the light spring, and don't forget to retest it for function with your carry ammo. If you still want more improvement, shoot another case of ammo, and then if you're still not happy, spend the $75 on the Harrt's rod! Best wishes.

Andrew
Old October 17, 2001, 05:32 PM   #8
superfly

Recoil reduction in Kahr's

I'll try the heavier spring from Wolff before the guide rod.

So let me understand this guide rod thing. What I want in a stainless guide rod is heavier weight? The rod from Kahr is only 25.00 and Haarts is 75.00. So, If I should decide to try the guide rod after the spring I should call each to find out the weight of the rod - I hope it isn't top secret.

Thanks
Old October 17, 2001, 09:13 PM   #9
Born_Hillbilly

I have the harrts recoil guide rod and the 22 lb spring in a K40.
The harrts has steel balls inside the hollow rod, and sound like they are floating in a substance(mercury?) that "dampens" the recoil. I noticed an improvement when I installed it, but the most dramatic difference was the addition of the 22 lb spring from wollf springs.
Old October 18, 2001, 12:10 PM   #10
M1911

I have a Harrts in my K40. I think it helps. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. Don't need one in either my K9 or MK9 as neither of those recoil heavily.

M1911
Old October 18, 2001, 09:04 PM   #11
JNewell

You all have my interest up -- is the Harrts rod only for the "regular" size models, and not the MK models?